Is a custom buck 110 with elk and s30v worth 200 USD?

I like to build 110's and S30V, especially a drop point, with Elk or Buffalo horn in a Nickel silver frame really is a great looking Buck. And it's hard to find one in that configuration on Ebay or aftermarket Custom. Having it engraved by Buck to make it yours alone really makes it special. Buck does offer great options on fonts size and style on both blade and bolsters. Yep DO IT!!

Here is my answer on the "How do you decide how much you are willing to spend on a knife" thread.

The only good answer for this question is what is the PERCEIVED value is to YOU. It is going to be different to different people at different times on different knives for different reasons. I have a real hard time spending $150 on a knife but I've done it. I spent $325 on a knife for a gift to my son on his wedding day.

How badly do you want it?
I decided to end my knife collecting days in a blaze of glory and ordered 4 custom knives.
Only one has shown so far but I'd say it was money well spent.
If you think it'll bring you $200 worth of happiness and you can afford it, do it.
If not, don't.

The elk is variable in coloring, texture, and thickness. A Custom 110 with elk handles taught me not to order elk or stag without seeing the exact one I am getting.
^this. if you're picky on elk and stag shapes and bark. I'm not and I'm good with no bark to full bark and different levels, and shapes of the handle.....but it can be tricky...if you have certain likes and dislikes.......

How much do you like elk as a handle material? It seems to me that is what you have to decide. I think it is unlikely that you will find that blade steel and handle combination cheaper anywhere else.

For me. I really really like S30v for the blade steel. and I really like elk as a handle material. BUT. I can buy a web exclusive 110 with clip point S30v blade and Black Crelicam Ebony handle for $100. ( In my opinion, the best buy on an easily available 110.) So right now I am not willing to spend another $100 to get an elk handle. If down the ro9ad I were to acquire several other elk handled Bucks, and wanted a 110 to match, I would probably think differently.

O.B.

How much do you like elk as a handle material? It seems to me that is what you have to decide. I think it is unlikely that you will find that blade steel and handle combination cheaper anywhere else.

For me. I really really like S30v for the blade steel. and I really like elk as a handle material. BUT. I can buy a web exclusive 110 with clip point S30v blade and Black Crelicam Ebony handle for $100. ( In my opinion, the best buy on an easily available 110.) So right now I am not willing to spend another $100 to get an elk handle. If down the ro9ad I were to acquire several other elk handled Bucks, and wanted a 110 to match, I would probably think differently.

O.B.
I’ll check out all the 110 buck variants. Honestly I’m not 100% sure other than I definitely want a 110 in S30v

The stock photo for the elk drew my eye, but as someone else said, with the texture and look varying because obviously all elk isn’t the same, dropping 200 on it without seeing the exact elk pattern doesn’t make sense now to me.

Appreciate all the assistance. I used to have a 110 growing up, multiple actually, but ended up selling a lot of my knives, and then even losing some during a move. Happy to have any buck in S30v.

Some more examples can be found here:

I wouldn't order one with elk again. As others have mentioned, its a crap shoot!

I was so disappointed in mine that I immediately sold it at a loss. HUGE disappointment!

But, if you do go with one, consider silver bolsters!

Absolutely worth the $$$. HOWEVER, you must forfeit any expectations as far as width, bark, etc are concerned. The two custom shop elk handled knives I've order are quite different, and not exactly what I expected or hoped for. but I could not be happier. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
IMG_8573.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7818.jpg

Last edited:
Back