Is a custom buck 110 with elk and s30v worth 200 USD?

I must be weird . . . I think each example of the elk scales looks great!
Sometimes they come out so fat in the middle they don’t even fit in their sheaths.

Big beautiful slabs, instead of thinning from the backs they mount them then sand them down to the bolsters. Often grinding away at the bolsters them selves.

Not everyone who works at Buck is an artist.

My personal opinion never order pins on elk or stag. They aren’t necessary and do not get set correctly with the rough bark surface. Also could possibly lead to cracking. Say no to pins.

Last edited:
Would you be happy with this?

view

Doesn’t look too terrible I guess.

I’ve seen even worse were both slabs had bulges and the knife felt like a baseball and wouldn’t fit in its sheath.

Last edited:
eveled eveled a good example of why some are unhappy with the custom knives. I must say I like your knife immensely. Have any more pics?

Last edited:
It was being sold by C&C on Amazon, for less than it was on their site. I think they knew they couldn't sell it at full price. But no mention of that in the ad. They used the same stock photograph of a perfect example.

I was disappointed when I saw it. Then I held it and fell in love with it. It feels like it was made for my hand.

One other stag knife I got from the web specials page was disappointing too.

On the one hand. You know it’s natural material and will vary, but you also expect them to use the right piece in the right way.

I post all this not to scare anyone off, but if you do order elk or stag from Buck, have an open mind.

I’ll get more pictures later.

I think that if you want it and you have the money then you should do it. Life is short.
That said, elk is unique and you wont get to pick yours out as everyone else mentioned. It just depends, I am not very picky about stag but some are.

Reviving this old thread (it popped-up for me because someone reacted to one of my messages) . . .

I just had an idea. I don't know if this is feasible, but I think it's worth considering. Since there seems to be so much natural variation in the elk scales, would it be possible to show pictures of the actual material selected for a given knife to the person who ordered it? They could be given the option of accepting or declining a set of scales before fitting them to their knife and maybe to select another material if the available elk does not suit them.

What do you think?

IMO yes, as long as you get nice looking symmetrical flat both sides elk. And not pregnant/balloned looking elk.
Now I see this is an older thread, but my opinion is still the same.

Reviving this old thread (it popped-up for me because someone reacted to one of my messages) . . .

I just had an idea. I don't know if this is feasible, but I think it's worth considering. Since there seems to be so much natural variation in the elk scales, would it be possible to show pictures of the actual material selected for a given knife to the person who ordered it? They could be given the option of accepting or declining a set of scales before fitting them to their knife and maybe to select another material if the available elk does not suit them.

What do you think?
My first reaction is that it would be way too cumbersome for Buck to take and send pictures to each customer who ordered Elk. And then wait for them to make a decision.

On the other hand, those daily pictures that USPS sends me of my letter size mail has always made me wonder how they do that with so many letters passing through the system. So maybe it could be done.

Definitely worth it and I'd get it before the price goes up again. Look at it this way, it's basically two tanks of gas and a cheeseburger (probably not fries, though).

When I bought my first custom 110 (1999?) It was 80 or 90 bucks for N/S, indigo royal wood and BG-42. At that time it cost me 8 or 10 bucks to fill up my 1960 VW.

Last edited:
Knife forums are the wrong place to ask about something being "worth it".

We're always eager to spend other people's money 🤣

I've always loved elk, and have made countless versions on the custom shop page, but haven't purchased one yet.

My first reaction is that it would be way too cumbersome for Buck to take and send pictures to each customer who ordered Elk. And then wait for them to make a decision.
This made me think of Emerald guitars. When you order a custom guitar, you look at the photos of the veneers for the guitar top and choose which one you want for your guitar. It would be great if a similar mechanism existed for the custom Bucks. Look at the photos of what is available, elk, wood, etc., and choose the pair you want. And, as with Emerald, the fancier ones could command a little better price than the plain ones. Best of all, you wouldn't have to be surprised at what you receive.

This made me think of Emerald guitars. When you order a custom guitar, you look at the photos of the veneers for the guitar top and choose which one you want for your guitar. It would be great if a similar mechanism existed for the custom Bucks. Look at the photos of what is available, elk, wood, etc., and choose the pair you want. And, as with Emerald, the fancier ones could command a little better price than the plain ones. Best of all, you wouldn't have to be surprised at what you receive.
I would certainly be all for it.

I just don’t see it happening in the Buck Custom Shop but like I said, if USPS can take pictures of millions of envelopes per day and send them to each customer individually, then maybe Buck actually could pull it off.

Back