Is Cold Steel officially dead on this forum- and the knife world in general?

ElementalBreakdown

Gold Member
Totally disgusted with "Cold Steel" at this point.

The company that bought them have no clue about anything that has to do with knives. They might as well be selling widgets.

After months of explaining to the new owners why it might be a good idea to keep a presence here on BF, nothing.

After trying to get a simple answer on if/when they will ever do the run of Black Bear Classics they have been promising for the last few years, I'm giving up.

After trying for years to get a sheath for a Black Bear Classic, nothing.

They have no idea who even is in charge of their various departments. Total mess.

Sad to see them go down the drain.

It might always be trash, but considering how much trouble all companies are having with pandemic-induced problems, judging them based on trying to transition the brand over in the midst of this might be premature.

The Cold Steel of old was certainly dead when it sold, considering the designers and decision makers don't seem to have moved with the brand. But whether the new version will stand on its own for its own merits, I'd say the conditions aren't yet right to know.

It’s dead Jim. They may yet produce something noteworthy, but if so it would be as a new company; with absolutely zero connection to the old brand. The dummies bought the name and killed off the established company. If they had a wit of sense they would have allowed Cold Steel to fail and purchased the trademark for next to nothing. Everything that I need to know about this outfit was expressed within minutes of purchase, when they dumped the warranty coverage. It would have been better if the brand had been acquired by Taylor Brands. At least then the knives would have been made by someone knowledgeable and sold at the correct price points.

n2s

So they were purchased. What makes you think that business won't continue as normal. Most buyouts of companies are designed to bring a successful name or business into the company for extra revenue. The new owner has access to a larger supply chain which may benefit CS accessories with reduced costs.

Not saying that things won't get worse, but why look at it like that, instead of just giving them a chance.

I don’t even want to think what the “pre-purchase” knives we be worth as time goes along. I think we should have a contest to come up with the Cold Steel name that identifies all knives made before they sold out to the new company!!! Ready…… GO!

I’m concerned that CS might be going the way of Schrade. It’d suck to see user reports of SRKs and Recon Tanto failures being more common than before. If they don’t introduce new designs, I hope they maintain their existing reputation of making tough, durable tools at least.

At least then the knives would have been made by someone knowledgeable and sold at the correct price points.

n2s

I would like to try a CS. However a Recon 1 would cost 190€ and I can get a BM Presidio ii for 150€ (Lamnia pricing).

I don’t even want to think what the “pre-purchase” knives we be worth as time goes along. I think we should have a contest to come up with the Cold Steel name that identifies all knives made before they sold out to the new company!!! Ready…… GO!
There is no need to do that since the new owners immediately changed the brands logo.

n2s

Cobalt, read the thread buddy, that's why.

Lynn Thompson was supposed to stay on. I can see why he apparently didn't. You can't teach Bullshido to the unitiated apprentice.

We will see what happens. What happens is beyond our control.

As much as Lynn Thompson was reviled by many, he was a knife enthusiast, saw where there were unmet market niches. Sure the Company produced a lot of fantasy and Mall Ninja stuff, but buyers wanted that. Take away the guy who understands what people want, no matter how crazy, or is able to create markets which were not obvious, and had risk, Companies fade into obscurity. And you have seen it before, and it will happen again.

The worst possible outcome is if the new buyers lack an understanding of the market, where it is going, what new opportunities are there with patterns and materials, and the product line becomes stagnant. Did we not see that for all of the old line Cutlery Companies that failed?

Helobite, well said.
More than the initial issue with the sheath (I found one that works by the way) was the fact that Black Bear Classic was a Great knife.

As were the other ones you alluded to.

The people I spoke with over there had zero interest in their products. In fact, they seemed to have no knowledge of them. I specifically asked every person I spoke to if they were a knife or gear enthusiast, and every one of them said no.

I guess you don't have to love or know the merchandise you sell, but I couldn't work a job where I had zero interest in the business or merchandise.

I'm not even sure that the "Cold Steel" line is being managed by anyone.
I think that they own the name only and maybe some unsold merchandise, but I don't think there is actually anyone actively managing the brand, and there sure as hell isn't anyone there that knows a thing about the products.
Anyway, after at least a half dozen phone calls, the guy who claimed to be in charge of the line was polite but completely ignorant of any knife knowledge whatsoever.
I tried to explain the situation here-a totally unattended forum - & that their reputation was going down the drain daily. What would it take to get an employee to manage the forum here? And don't they have to pay Bladeforums yearly for their subforum here?

Again, the guy was nice but just completely ignorant about knives and had zero concern about the fact they are dropping the final shovel full of dirt on Cold Steel's grave.

And like Helobite said, sure they made a lot of over the top stuff, but they were a welcome addition to our hobby. And a few of the knives were actually awesome!

There is no need to do that since the new owners immediately changed the brands logo.

n2s

I've seen the new logo on images of boxes, but are new production knives shipping with the new logo laser etch?

Helobite, well said.
More than the initial issue with the sheath (I found one that works by the way) was the fact that Black Bear Classic was a Great knife.

The people I spoke with over there had zero interest in their products. In fact, they seemed to have no knowledge of them. I specifically asked every person I spoke to if they were a knife or gear enthusiast, and every one of them said no.

I guess you don't have to love or know the merchandise you sell, but I couldn't work a job where I had zero interest in the business or merchandise.

I think that they own the name only and maybe some unsold merchandise, but I don't think there is actually anyone actively managing the brand, and there sure as hell isn't anyone there that knows a thing about the products.
Anyway, after at least a half dozen phone calls, the guy who claimed to be in charge of the line was polite but completely ignorant of any knife knowledge whatsoever.
I tried to explain the situation here-a totally unattended forum - & that their reputation was going down the drain daily. What would it take to get an employee to manage the forum here? And don't they have to pay Bladeforums yearly for their subforum here?

Again, the guy was nice but just completely ignorant about knives and had zero concern about the fact they are dropping the final shovel full of dirt on Cold Steel's grave.

And like Helobite said, sure they made a lot of over the top stuff, but they were a welcome addition to our hobby. And a few of the knives were actually awesome!
The Manufacturer's sub-forums are free, but they need to provide a mod. If they don't do that, this sub will either get archived, or possibly (hopefully) moved to the Collectors section.

Helobite, well said.

I'm wondering what possessed you to act like you speak for Bladeforums in any official capacity. Also, the hyperbole here isn't the point maker you think it is. You were a complaining customer, nothing more. Personally, I think the sales rep you spoke with paid your comments about all the attention they were worth. 🤷‍♂️

Cobalt, read the thread buddy, that's why.

Lynn Thompson was supposed to stay on. I can see why he apparently didn't. You can't teach Bullshido to the unitiated apprentice.

That's like me saying, "Floccinaucinihilipification took over this thread". Then you asking what does that mean and me sayng, read the word buddy, there's your answer.

You do realize that cold steel hasn't made it's own knives in....forever. They have factories that make them for CS. Let me know where these uninitiated apprentices are.

Back