Is Cold Steel officially dead on this forum- and the knife world in general?

I still maintain that the products from the 2021 catalog, which were decided on and put in when Lynn Thompson still owned the company, may be the last items that we can feel pretty certain are still true blue Cold Steel.
The contracts handed out to make those products were also most certainly done with LT still at the helm.
As for what will be in the 2022 catalog?... Well, whatever they are, they may tell a lot as to where they'll be heading. But, even that may not tell the whole story. I mean, there could be some, (or even a lot), of the products you know and recognize, but... with the new ownership, there could be new manufacturers brought online to make them. Or, maybe, even bean counters incorporating some serious cutting of corners on those products. While there are no guarantees that this or that may or may not be changing, buying now may be the last opportunity you have to buy new products from them that you can pretty much still feel are the Cold Steel products you prefer.
As for 2022 onwards?... There is just no way to really know right at this moment. It may all be a fluid situation over at CS, or maybe things are already set in stone.
Whatever their plans are, buying what you like now, before they have incorporated their 2022 and beyond plans, may be your best bet for factory new Cold Steel. After that, if major negative changes are done, then the secondary Cold Steel market may become your only option for true Cold Steel.
That all said, I have a gut feeling that this change to new ownership will wind up looking like what happened to Marlin Firearms when it was sold to the owners of Remington. That situation caused the Marlin name and product to be brought down to unbelievably low levels. We shall see, but for now, seek out what you like from Cold Steel, acquire it, and keep high hopes that the new owners will be able to maintain the magic that was achieved when Lynn Thompson owned the company.

Just my two and a half cents šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
Yes it will be dead really soon. Obviously, the company which bought it has no insight regarding the knife world. Who will pay twice (in some cases tripple) because you only changed the blade steel to 3V? How could anyone with right mindset and knows the industry make such decision....

I've paid a good money in my Magnum Tanto II, but I don't live in the USA and I didn't had much choice.

Three weeks ago, I chose the 3-V version instead of the San Mai version, so I paid 14% more. I'm happy with my choice, but I don't see myself paying twice (or more) just to have a better steel.

Where do you saw those abusive prices?

I've paid a good money in my Magnum Tanto II, but I don't live in the USA and I didn't had much choice.

Three weeks ago, I chose the 3-V version instead of the San Mai version, so I paid 14% more. I'm happy with my choice, but I don't see myself paying twice (or more) just to have a better steel.

Where do you saw those abusive prices?

Totally insane. I live in a beautiful and complicated country: Brazil.

Can I ask you, does Brazil apply a customs charge if you bought a Cold Steel San Mai Trail Master in the US and had it
shipped to you in Brazil? Is the Trail Master itself a prohibited knife?

Can I ask you, does Brazil apply a customs charge if you bought a Cold Steel San Mai Trail Master in the US and had it
shipped to you in Brazil? Is the Trail Master itself a prohibited knife?

In Rio de Janeiro, where I live, and also in the state of Minas Gerais, the blade size is the only legal limitation: 10 centimetres. In other states there's no specific legislation, so the things are more arbitrary. Hence, in general, you can have anything you may want in your home, but you'll need to have a nice talk with the LEO if you are carrying anything big or unusual.

The current customs formula is: [price + shipment] x 60% (federal tax) + 18% (local tax) + a small financial tax + another small internal shipping fee. So, basically, big shipping fees (which are usual in smaller shops) can ruin your day; but even in the big shops, with better shipment fees, things can get ugly.

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

lawman.png

In Rio de Janeiro, where I live, and also in the state of Minas Gerais, the blade size is the only legal limitation: 10 centimetres. In other states there's no specific legislation, so the things are more arbitrary. Hence, in general, you can have anything you may want in your home, but you'll need to have a nice talk with the LEO if you are carrying anything big or unusual.

The current customs formula is: [price + shipment] x 60% (federal tax) + 18% (local tax) + a small financial tax + another small internal shipping fee. So, basically, big shipping fees (which are usual in smaller shops) can ruin your day; but even in the big shops, with better shipment fees, things can get ugly.

As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

lawman.png
Interesting, nice to see what its like in other countries, thanks for posting.

Interesting, nice to see what its like in other countries, thanks for posting.

Thanks. I must add that in the local big store I can manage to get (sometimes) better prices. For instance, a SRK San Mai for $135 is an incredible offer (that's over, now it costs $240), and an AD-10 for $300 is an acceptable offer (it's over too, now it costs $380).

Back