Is Jesus God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that part of what really bothers people about christianity is that Jesus said he was the ONLY way.
People in this day and age are so consumed with their "rights". "No God has the right to tell me that he's the only way".
Even many who call themselves Christians twist the bible or don't even know the bible at all and have conjured up a version of Jesus in their minds that is not biblically accurate. Many focus on the loving nature of Jesus and ignore his sovereignty. A growing number of Christiansn don't believe there is a hell or that it may be temporary. Scripture clearly indicates that hell does exist and that people will dwell there.
If you consider yourself a Christian, you must know your bible. Jesus said this several times that you must "hear my words and do what they say" and "abide in my word". For the Christian, the bible is how we learn about the nature of
Jesus and God. Also, praying that the lord would reveal himself to you and come into your life and guide you.
Now, many people don't believe in a God at all. To those I ask to open your mind, and just look around at all creation.
Look at the stars on a clear night and think about the absolute indescribeable vastness of the universe. Do you really think something like this can just happen randomly? Think about yourself, your thoughts, your feelings and your ability to love.
Do you not feel the sense that you were created by a loving Creator. Or do you feel instead that you are in essence a turbo-charge ape who has evolved from primates. Do you know how perfectly placed in the solar system the planet earth is? That if we were only minutely closer or farther away from the sun or if it rotated on it's axis a little different how it would either be too cold or too hot to sustain life? Or if Jupiter were a little closer or farther away than it is it would also be inhabitable? The planet earth is essence balancing on the head of a pin. Look inside our bodies, on a micro scale. DNA, simple proteins. The amount of information contained in our DNA or in a simple cell absolutely defies comprehension it is so immense. And it all fits together perfectly to perform it's function. Our DNA structure makes the most complex computer program on earth look like a picture drawn by a two year old compared to a Picasso.

Is Jesus God?

Only to those who claim themselves to be Christians and choose to follow him.

I'm just looking to start some intelligent discussion here.

Personally I think religion and politics is much the same in that there is no such thing as intelligent "discussion" with either one as the subject matter, but that's just me.

No reason to get offended.

At which question or statement does bennyb seem to think that offense will bring?

We all have reasons to believe what we believe; whether we don't believe in a god at all or we believe that our next door neighbor is god.

True, so why not leave each other alone about the subject as it's doubtful that anyone will change another's mind?

We shouldn't have to be offended by anothers belief system.

True, see above.

Why I pose this question is this: Of all the worlds religions only Jesus has actually claimed to be God.

And only the so called Christians hold that to be true.

Budda, Mohammed, or Krishna did not claim to be god.

The original question was, "Is Jesus God?" so is this the beginning of another paradigm?

Only Jesus did.

And once again only those who call themselves Christians holds it to be true...

Was he right?

Does it matter to Christians because no one else seems to care?

Christians, dont hold out on me now. I know you're out there.

AHA! The familiar call of a single Christian calling on the aid of all other Christians in order to change the mind's of all those of us who are not Christian.

My prior post on this subject before I realized I was just adding to the rest of the flotsam and was not actually trying to answer bennyb's question...
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/843292-Is-Jesus-God?p=9555935#post9555935

"Is Jesus God?"
Of course he is.
And so are you.
Namaste.

No, I'm definitely not God. I'm way too bad to be god. And I'm not all that smart either.
All right, thank you, now I get to take on Bhuddism!

So Bhuddists basically believe everyone is God. That sound to me to be just about the most pridefull thing I've ever heard. No offense, I'm just being honest. How do Bhuddists believe the world was created.?

OK.

I have exercised powerful restraint in the interests of not wanting to offend any one, any way.

However...

I will give a shiny nickel to any moderator or administrator, or to a charity of their choice, if they will lock this thread AND not let any more of this type of business show up in the Cantina or any other Blade Forums site which is not dedicated to the sole purpose of diatribes, insults, insinuations, sarcasm, inflammatory topics and whatever else which will be discussed endlessly without any resolution, nor hope of such.

Thank very much.

Nickel not necessary. I personally will be returning to my former policy of either moving any similar topics to the Political Arena, if possible, or closing the threads.

My prior post on this subject before I realized I was just adding to the rest of the flotsam and was not actually trying to answer bennyb's question...
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/843292-Is-Jesus-God?p=9555935#post9555935
You weren't actually trying to answer Bennyb's questions? Then why did you quote him so much yet never directly answered a single question? I'm surprised this thread was even allowed in H.I. and even more so that it's still alive.
Let the count down begin. :D 3......2.....1.....

why do you have to close the thread? the title is obvious enough. no one has to read it, post in it, or subject themselves to it unless they want to. its been a good and very popular discussion and i don't think it has been offensive at all. then again, do as you see fit Esav....super mod....

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that people can't just avoid the thread if they don't like it.
This is an off-topic discussion forum and is not breaking an forum rules. If someone posts some bad language the mods can delete it. But people who are complaining about the debate here need to just stop their whining and avoid the thread. Seriously, it's easy enough to avoid.

...Now, many people don't believe in a God at all. To those I ask to open your mind, and just look around at all creation.
Look at the stars on a clear night and think about the absolute indescribeable vastness of the universe. Do you really think something like this can just happen randomly? Think about yourself, your thoughts, your feelings and your ability to love.
Do you not feel the sense that you were created by a loving Creator. Or do you feel instead that you are in essence a turbo-charge ape who has evolved from primates. Do you know how perfectly placed in the solar system the planet earth is? That if we were only minutely closer or farther away from the sun or if it rotated on it's axis a little different how it would either be too cold or too hot to sustain life? Or if Jupiter were a little closer or farther away than it is it would also be inhabitable? The planet earth is essence balancing on the head of a pin. Look inside our bodies, on a micro scale. DNA, simple proteins. The amount of information contained in our DNA or in a simple cell absolutely defies comprehension it is so immense. And it all fits together perfectly to perform it's function. Our DNA structure makes the most complex computer program on earth look like a picture drawn by a two year old compared to a Picasso.

bennyb, what is coming through loud and clear to me is your sincerity, about your beliefs as well as your desires to help others find what you have found in Christianity. For this I thank you.

...now I get to take on Bhuddism!...

No need to "take on" anything or anyone. This can be a dialogue.

I don't consider myself a Buddhist, by the way. (If I recall correctly, our hosts Yangdu and Bill Martino do, though.)
And, if I recall correctly, "Namaste" is actually a Hindu greeting, the gist of which is, "the divinity in me recognizes the divinity in you".

Now, I was raised a Christian, and I was taught that God is in everything and in everyone, so I don't believe that "Namaste" is inconsistent, let alone an affront, to Christianity.

Respectfully,
Steve

You weren't actually trying to answer Bennyb's questions? Then why did you quote him so much yet never directly answered a single question? I'm surprised this thread was even allowed in H.I. and even more so that it's still alive.
Let the count down begin. :D 3......2.....1.....

hoopster I put the link to my first and previous post on this subject matter, post 237, at the bottom to show that when I first posted I was adding my 2 cents without trying to answer bennyb's question.:eek:
In my post above, #283, I did answer bennyb's questions to the best of my ability from my and many others point of view. If there isn't an answer between each separate line I quoted of Bennyb's questions then I did something wrong no doubt because of the new format here at BFC because I have quoted other folks in such a manner before with no trouble or misunderstanding.
I can see each one of my individual answers so hopefully I've simply misunderstood what you mean/meant.

I'm also surprised that this thread was even allowed here in the HI Cantina and even more so that it's still alive.:(

A lil' musical response:

[youtube]v8LY2VgiikE[/youtube]

From my own past as an ex-Christian, didn't Jesus say he simply points the way to God(Yahweh)?

And then what doesn't make any sense at all to me is for me to explain to them that I am not a Christian and have that present a challenge to them to continually try to change my mind forever from that point onward. To present another old cliche' "It's like trying to teach a pig to sing." If you're interested in the rest of it then you can do a search through your favored search engine to find it.

Always good to see you pipe up, Yvsa! :thumbup:
Got to love folk, be the subject religion or other, that take any interpersonal difference as an opportunity to go on the "offensive" to try to change or, at the very least, ridicule the other... as if a statement of fact about yourself is an inherent affront to someone else. To be fair, in this can of worms-thread I think we've seen bits of it from both sides.
I'd occasionally get a similar reaction from folk who learn I'm vegetarian. I dunno if they think this means I'm one of those proseltyizing PETA-types, or if they need to emphasize their manly omnivorousness by contrast or verbally quarantine the contaminant of a differing lifestyle or what... but some folk immediately go into attack mode. Others, on the other hand, are surprised because I don't make much of a deal about it.

Seems like our strongest opinions can be the most divisive, whereas the many things we mortals aren't entirely certain about can be more unifying. This isn't to say doubt isn't frowned upon in favour of institutionalised presumption in some circles. :D

This thread has been running for 3 days. I trust everyone has had a chance to input thier views.

It has been a bit disruptive to the Cantina. Currently there is discussion on the proper use of this forum space. Let's give this a rest for a while, while we wrestle with the issues that this thread has raised concerning an atmosphere of free discussion and evangelism.

Please don't start another evangelical thread here for a few days while things are considered.

Locking this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back