Is Jesus God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Yangdu and the mods, honestly, thanks for letting these things be discussed.

This one turned ugly (now if all those whop came in here just to urinate on the floor over this one topic would just buy a kukri!!),

Special thanks to Esav and certain others who can vehemently disagree with a topic and keep it friendly and professional anyway.

I'm not Howard, but. . .

Don't count on it. You've seen from the threads you started on this topic that one got moved w/o notice to W&C, the other turned into a flame fest.

My suggestion, is maybe to put out feelers for people who would like to discuss such things and sign up for one of the many places that offer free discussion boards.

One other suggestion: no matter what religion you have, if you ask a simple question like this, which simply asks for a yes or no answer, and maybe an explanation as to why, and instead you get people who come in guns blazing, railing about how stupid christians are, how much they hate christianity, etc, here's a hint: they have an axe to grind. Most often they do not have rational reasons why, it's usually bolstered by emotional experiences and strawman arguments that, although they've been answered a million times, they just don't want to accept the answer. Not that the answer isn't valid, it';s just not the one they want. I say all of this to say that you're not going to change their mind, and they simply won't stop their railing, so let it go, and let it fizzle out.

Call it not "casting pearls before swine" or "dusting off your feet and moving on" if you want, but even Jesus himself said not to bother with such. Deliver the message, then leave them to their devices. Just a friendly suggestion, re-read the gospels and Act again. It's your job to give the message, not make them listen.

I think this is excellent advice.

Even in the PA discussions specifically about religion aren't allowed. Some discussions there may involve religious aspects, but an OP like this one would be discouraged or closed.

As much as I love to answer honest questions about my beliefs for those who sincerely, REALLY want answers, those types of questions rarely come. I think that any forum specifically set up for religious discussions here at Blade Forums would cause more problems than good and would be a mistake.

Maybe a hundred dollar donation to the Kami fund to make a post here. I would be all for it!!

I think atheism is a religion with its own dogma. It takes a leap of faith to be an atheist after all.

Atheists see God as a fictional character. Most people don't believe in Zeus or Thor, but nobody says they're lack of belief is a religion in and of itself. Not believing in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy isn't dogma either. Not trying to equate them, but giving you our perspective. Now I guess you could say it takes a leap of faith to not believe in Santa, and if that's the level you're holding it to then I'll agree. A lot of people see atheism as anti-God. It's no more anti-God than anti-Jabberwocky. It's a lack of belief, nothing more. Now there are atheist religions, but that's a whole other thing.

Now there are atheist religions, but that's a whole other thing.

I was told once that an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in gods, but who may believe in other spiritual things, ghosts, for example. Personally I find it interesting that someone could rule out gods, but hedge their bets on, say........ banshees. Just, not very logical, IMO.

I'm a scientific naturalist, so I acknowledge nothing which is purported to be supernatural. So, if that means that I out-atheist atheists, so be it.

Andy

I think this is excellent advice.

Even in the PA discussions specifically about religion aren't allowed. Some discussions there may involve religious aspects, but an OP like this one would be discouraged or closed.

As much as I love to answer honest questions about my beliefs for those who sincerely, REALLY want answers, those types of questions rarely come. I think that any forum specifically set up for religious discussions here at Blade Forums would cause more problems than good and would be a mistake.

Good call. I am wondering if this forum is for me - at first I found the biblical verses quoted in many peops sigs to be irksome but I can live with that.
Now there are BennyB's threads which are divisive and insulting to the spirit of the forum, he started the threads with the full knowledge they would cause offense or there would not have been the caveat "No reason to get offended." in his first paragraph. I will not buy off certain people here - purely based on this thread, and while it is easy to say 'ignore it' - it just ain't that easy to sit back and give the idiocracy carte blanche.

I find it how the world pretends to be so tolerant of everyone and their beliefs and yet some starts one little thread in an off topic forum and the naysayers and Christian haters come out of the woodwork. Here's a novel idea: if this thread bothers you then don't look at it. Is that so hard. :)

I find it how the world pretends to be so tolerant of everyone and their beliefs and yet some starts one little thread in an off topic forum and the naysayers and Christian haters come out of the woodwork. Here's a novel idea: if this thread bothers you then don't look at it. Is that so hard. :)

Is not the point of a forum to share ideas/opinions and receive comments/feedback/thoughts on said ideas/opinions? No one is "Christian hating" (at least I'm not), we are simply sharing our opinion.

Many Jews believe in Jesus. They are called "Christians."
There are also many people who thrive on disparaging and hating Christianity out of fear and insecurity.
Like it or not, America IS a Christian nation. The men who liberated the nazi camps in 45 were Christians. (real ones)

It is the only adult religion to me, because it is the only one that actually requires you to focus on your behavior and pretty much ignores all the childish bullshit like food taboos and sacrificing animals.
If he was not divine, then I can't think of anybody who could come closer in word or deed.
But in the end, people don't reject him, they reject his ideas.
It is too hard and too scary for small hearts.

Nazi Germany was christian also.

Aussiegav, I'm not feelin the love, bro. Why so negative?
You dont have to participate here if you don't want to.

I find it how the world pretends to be so tolerant of everyone and their beliefs and yet some starts one little thread... (sic)

Who ever claimed the world to be tolerant of everyone? You are living in fantasy land mate - but being religious that is already a given I guess.

Edit: Thought I was in Tech Support.

Last edited:
Atheists see God as a fictional character. Most people don't believe in Zeus or Thor, but nobody says they're lack of belief is a religion in and of itself. Not believing in Santa Clause or the Tooth Fairy isn't dogma either. Not trying to equate them, but giving you our perspective. Now I guess you could say it takes a leap of faith to not believe in Santa, and if that's the level you're holding it to then I'll agree. A lot of people see atheism as anti-God. It's no more anti-God than anti-Jabberwocky. It's a lack of belief, nothing more. Now there are atheist religions, but that's a whole other thing.

I found out there was no Santa around age 6 when my father got caught red handed under the tree. Even at that age the Tooth Fairy was always assumed to be fake but went along with it for the cash. :D

I think a better example might be a 150 foot long killer squid. I don’t think they get that large but without solid proof and given the unexplored nature of the oceans this is based in part on a leap of faith. If I was a member of a giant squid religion it would be accepted as fact and faith would be an integral part of that belief. If I was agnostic my answer would be “I don’t know”.

Naturally you may disagree with my examples and that’s ok. If everyone believed in the same stuff the world would be boring.

If I was a member of a giant squid religion it would be accepted as fact and faith would be an integral part of that belief.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

;)

Benny, you asked a question and folks have answered as they saw fit. Did you want everybody to just say "Yes, Jesus is God" and be done with it? Did you really expect that to happen? Are you saying if someone doesn't agree with you, they need not say anything, just sit in the corner and be quiet, the Christians are speaking, don't interrupt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back