• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Is Knifeworks a reputable dealer?

dc2

Wanting to buy a para2 in s35vn. I don't know anything about knifeworks and want to protect myself after hearing about knockoffs etc. Feedback is appreciated.

Well you have started 2 threads on the same subject and the other one has provided good reviews. So kw is a good to go site to buy from.

Well you have started 2 threads on the same subject and the other one has provided good reviews. So kw is a good to go site to buy from.
Thanks for the help. Will go ahead with purchase. Sorry about the two threads, first time user. After learning more about the sight, thought I put the original in the wrong place. Thanks again.

You won’t find clones or knockoffs from authorized dealers.
Buy the knife already!

Caveat- Amazon is an authorized dealer, but since they know nothing about knives and have generous return policies, they are the source of many a clone or counterfeit as scammers introduce fakes into the pipeline by fraudulent return.

Yup! People buy a real one and return a clone to Amazon. It then goes back
On the shelf.
I should’ve specified, I was speaking about authorized dealers here.

Caveat- Amazon is an authorized dealer, but since they know nothing about knives and have generous return policies, they are the source of many a clone or counterfeit as scammers introduce fakes into the pipeline by fraudulent return.

I've only ordered from knifeworks.com once, and there was a delay in them shipping my $250+ order. Their "excuse" was that they were all on a cruise off of Mexico and the ship caught fire and they were stranded for several days. Lazy slackabouts. Can't none of them swim?:rolleyes:

Have had 3 purchases and all with outstanding service. If I remember correctly if you are a new customer on your very first purchase they also give a complimentary microfiber cloth with KnifeWorks stamp (like the one from Chris Reeve).

They also have some very nice Benchmade Exclusives as well just FYI

Sorry to necro the thread but I recently placed an order with them and got a very strange email claiming that, because it was my first order, I needed to contact my bank and send an authorization code. I called my bank and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I went to the knifeworks FAQ page to see what their terms of payment are, and the topic titles that you're supposed to click for information aren't working. There's bad Engrish in the email and on the site. Have they been taken over?

I have known Roger for many years - we both started as dealers around the same time.
I find them to be an outstanding knife source in all respects.

I went to their website and found none of the anomalies or poor grammar as you suggest.

Perhaps look back at your order and if you indeed placed it with Knife works- then it would be kind of you to update this thread with a more positive review of Roger's company..

Regards,
Neil Ostroff
Founder & CEO
True North Knives

Sorry to necro the thread but I recently placed an order with them and got a very strange email claiming that, because it was my first order, I needed to contact my bank and send an authorization code. I called my bank and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I went to the knifeworks FAQ page to see what their terms of payment are, and the topic titles that you're supposed to click for information aren't working. There's bad Engrish in the email and on the site. Have they been taken over?
The site seems to be working fine: https://knifeworks.com/faq/

For the payment methods section:
Answer:
We accept all major credit cards including: Visa, Discover, MasterCard, and American Express. Additionally, we accept money orders. To pay by money order contact us at our toll free number when placing an order. If paying by money order, your order will be shipped when we have received the payment.

The email you got sounds odd, especially with Engrish. I'd say call them up - 888-225-9775

Sounds like maybe you got redirected to a phishing site. KW is good to go. But I'd double check where you placed your order.

I definitely placed it on their site, and the confirmation email seems legit. However this followup email is questionable. According to Yahoo, the address it's sent from is indeed the legit Knifeworks email. Here's a screenshot of the weird message.

Screen-Shot-2020-06-04-at-12-47-45-AM.png

As has been stated previously, call them directly to try and clear it up. That generally removes all ambiguity that could come from an email.

The email they sent you seems to have been written in standard English - grammar is fine and no spelling mistakes, at least that I can see.

In processing a CC most systems use an authorization and then an auto capture at a specific time of day.

So the request they are making is fundamentally sound although absurd.

I have been a dealer for almost 25 years processing credit cards exactly like this and never once did I ask the customer to "call their bank for the approval code".

As far as Yahoo goes, I would not bet my allowance on them verifying anything for you.

Anybody can mask an email address - we use systems and software re to root those out.

Finally, as sbh06 said, call them and sort this out. Its very uncool to let this thread fester if they are not doing anything wrong.

Either way you started this so now you should finish it and clear it up - good or bad for either party.

Regards,
Neil Ostroff
Founder & CEO
True North Knives

Asking you for the approval code is very strange and something that I’ve never even heard about happening before. I would call the credit card company for more clarification, or try placing the order with a different card.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did send them an email asking for clarification, and I just received a reply so hopefully it's all good. It was just weird because I've never been asked for something like that, and the formatting of the message I screencapped is different than the order confirmation email, including a dead link.

I can't find the listing that had Engrish but it was definitely there. Might have been a copy-pasted description from a manufacturer's site, as some of the accessory companies are overseas and their descriptions have iffy grammar. What seemed strange to me in this email was the stuff about "advise the quote of the authorization code" and "capture the approved authorization into our merchant system" but perhaps that is retail industry phrasing that I am not aware of.

Since my posts seem to have rankled a couple of folks here I will go ahead and preemptively say that Knifeworks is reputable despite occasional confusing communication. If anything else goes wrong with my order then I'll keep it to myself. Cheers

Back