1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Is One Handed Closing of a Folder Really Critical ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DocJD, Jun 8, 2019.

1. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    OHO and OHC are not needed for my uses. They're a convenience, but unnecessary to me. I've gone away from modern OHO/OHC folders for the most part. Nowadays, I prefer traditionals (mostly slipjoints) for their history and their lower profile in pocket and hand. Been working toward that for a couple of years now and for the last couple of months, I've carried one of my traditionals as my daily carry. Haven't missed any of the modern knife features/materials so far.

DocJD likes this.
  2. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    For normal daily tasks, one hand O/C is just much more convenient. When camping, hiking, sitting around whittlen' :), however I much prefer traditional; it is more conducive to a slowed down, relaxed feeling. There's something special, almost contemplative, about sitting by a fire with a stick or an apple and reaching into your pocket (after putting down the stick or apple ;)) and taking out and opening something like a stockman and slowly starting to use it. :cool: I think I may head up into the mountains today. :D

DocJD likes this.
  3. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    I think I have two knives that require two hands to open and close: A Cold Steel Kudu and Eland.
    Everything else is a slipjoint or backlock; two hands to open, but only need one hand to close.
    I generally close the slipjoints one hand against my leg, and the lockback two handed.

DocJD likes this.
  4. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Refers to one hand opening. Most knives can be closed without the use of 2 hands.
    It is very useful when you are working and I much prefer it. I did manage before moving to one handed knives, but it can entail an extra step of opening the knife before picking up the work .
    I am sold on them, but there certainly are some fine traditional knives out there, and don't mind a few in the rotation.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    DocJD likes this.
  5. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    No. But there's a reason only three of my 40ish folders are two-handers.
    And I'm sure I'm echoing other answers, but it's just so much easier and convenient.

But who am I kidding, it's mostly the fidgetability.

sgt1372, DocJD and Lance Leon like this.
  6. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    One hand opening and closing isn't vital to me, but it's important enough for convenience that the only thing I have that isn't one hand opening is a few SAKs and nothing is two hand closing. Granted, I even close my back locks one handed, release the lock then roll the spine on my thigh to close.

I'll never own a two hand closing knife, and I actively avoid two hand opening knives. I value convenience greatly.

AmosPaul and DocJD like this.
  7. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I think the desire for the ability to close a folder w/one hand is a mainly a personal preference, sometimes a fetish and very seldom a necessity.

Personally, I seldom close any folder w/just one hand because I think it's safer to use 2 hands to do it. In fact, I often use a handkerchief (that I always carry) to cover the edge while closing the blade. I believe this is why I seldom cut myself while handling my folders.

This doesn't mean that I don't sometimes like to open/close a knife single handed. It's just a fairly rare thing for me to do.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    DocJD likes this.
  8. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    LOL :p . I CAN one hand close almost all of mine . But with my XL Cold Steel folders , it's usually just easier to two hand close . More relaxing , less risky .

It's normally not a big deal for me , either way . Except for my few fidget flippers , which obviously need to be easy to open/close one hand , either hand . ;)

9. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I use a knife as a tool. "Speed of deployment" is not something I ever worry about. A one-handed opening knife is handy when my other hand is busy holding something I need to cut.

But by that same token, ease of "un-deployment" is also important to me. My non-knife hand is likely to still be occupied. I greatly prefer to carry a knife that I can close one-handed. I've closed traditional pocket knives one-handed for decades.

Pomsbz, xylum, pinnah and 2 others like this.
  10. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    I use OHO and OHC all the time as an electrician while standing on top of a ladder stripping wire and cutting zip ties. I rarely fidget flip unless i'm breaking in a new knife or have just finished servicing one.

xylum and DocJD like this.
  11. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :p LOL !

12. N4SIR

N4SIR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Depends on the application.. for EDC i would say yes... for weekend or around the house carry no

DocJD likes this.
  13. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    I also like to live dangerously.

ScooterG likes this.
  14. Rykjeklut

May 23, 2018
    But how do you open them?

15. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    Some people might think one hand opening / closing is important.....
    [​IMG]

16. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    A whole lot of the time I'm cutting something that I'm holding in my off-hand. If a knife won't close one-handed I have to put either it or the object down before finishing what I'm doing. And there are so many, many very good options that can be easily opened and closed one-handed I don't see any reason to bother with that annoyance.

xylum, miso2 and DocJD like this.
  17. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    One hand opening and closing for me is all about being able to get the task done more effectively. With a modern folder I expect it. I'm not sure why I would choose to make things more difficult for myself. To each their own I guess...

DocJD likes this.
  18. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    I made it over 20 years with two hand open & close, so it obviously wouldn’t kill me to not have one hand operation (which also includes one hand stow ability, to my mind). Having said that, one hand operation is very convenient, and there are too many options with that for me to bother with choices that require two hand operation.

xylum and DocJD like this.
  19. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    as a kid-teeth if need be, but I have to pay the dental bills now, so that is a thing of the past.

Lance Leon, Rykjeklut and katanas like this.
  20. Rykjeklut

May 23, 2018
    I just imagined chomping down on my Douk-Douk. No...just no.