Is Steel Will using fake M390 and an unknown manufacturer?

My Steel Will Cutjack Mini M390 from June 2017 is as good as the results in the latest video.

sub'd to this thread
o.png

Well, that's reassuring. Sounds like either their supplier got a mis-labeled bar or two, or they just completely botched the heat treat on a batch. No matter what, it's a problem, and something I hope they'll work to prevent in the future, but it's not as ugly as it initially seemed. Which I'm glad for. I'd hate to see the company making the D2 Cutjack (one of the best budget options around) go under due to shady business.

Well, that's reassuring. Sounds like either their supplier got a mis-labeled bar or two, or they just completely botched the heat treat on a batch. No matter what, it's a problem, and something I hope they'll work to prevent in the future, but it's not as ugly as it initially seemed. Which I'm glad for. I'd hate to see the company making the D2 Cutjack (one of the best budget options around) go under due to shady business.

"Go under" is a bit premature. Bark River has mixed up steels on several occasions but they're still around.

Not defending Steel Will nor their underlying Italian manufacturer which apparently is Maserin.

At this point it looks like a manufacturing error on the part of Maserin, nothing more. The results Pete got for the Cutjack and the new Modus were better than the We 620 IIRC. Good stuff. I would hate to see Steel Will go away, as from what I have seen so far, they seem to understand that a knife does not have to be 70” thick and “hard use” to sell. Keep making knives that will actually cut things, and you will have a fan in me.

Well, his test of the ZT 0450 was pretty bad too(my own 0450 is the second worst in my own collection as far as edge retention goes, far worst than even Buck 420 steel knives I own), yet those things still sell like hotcake, so I wouldn't worry about them going under.

Just revisiting this M390 question. The Benchmade M390 was a special run and I wonder if they applied a coating. I have coated Benchmade knives that look uncoated, though they actually are coated. Also, I thought the stonewash process closed the "pores" and make the steel less prone to corrosion. In either case, the tests done on different knives show there is a variation in QC among many makes and some things are just not what is claimed.

Just revisiting this M390 question. The Benchmade M390 was a special run and I wonder if they applied a coating. I have coated Benchmade knives that look uncoated, though they actually are coated. Also, I thought the stonewash process closed the "pores" and make the steel less prone to corrosion. In either case, the tests done on different knives show there is a variation in QC among many makes and some things are just not what is claimed.
Stone wash and coatings don't really do much of anything for corrosion. It may delay it a little longer but corrosion can still be going on under the coating. As for stonewashed, it's not going to do anything but make water pool rather than run off helping corrosion. Mirror blades have a higher chance of water running off and less chance to pool but still not something that resists it. At least this is what I've learned through this forum in older posts.

Dlc may or may not be a good coating for rust. I can't remember Tbo

The above post tests suggest that m390 won't be easy to rust. But we've seen it occasionally. Easily cleaned off with bar keepers friend.

Use edci or a food safe oil that doesn't oxidize (go bad) to coat the blade.

Back