Is the Camp Knife really dead?

Hey John! If I'd like to buy a camp knife from you, will you make one for me? And if you will, can you find some kind of wood with a real special pattern or maybe stag for the handle? Maybe you could email me with some particulars if your willing to make it for me! I'll be waiting to here from you! Thanks!

ft

I have material for three of them, two have already been ordered, so I have enough for one more.
I don’t do stag, but could check on fancy wood.
I don’t have your email so I sent a PM

The thread sparked a general question in my thinking about the usefulness of a JK camp knife in general in contrast to just the availability of the Jk camp knife. And the knife in the raffle looks like a good example of one to me. Is there a need for such a bigger knife around the campsite? Give me some of your ideas for a camp knife use or what you would use it for. Thanks for any ideas and sharing your thoughts.

The thread sparked a general question in my thinking about the usefulness of a JK camp knife in general in contrast to just the availability of the Jk camp knife. And the knife in the raffle looks like a good example of one to me. Is there a need for such a bigger knife around the campsite? Give me some of your ideas for a camp knife use or what you would use it for. Thanks for any ideas and sharing your thoughts.
fire prep, cutting giant slabs of meat throwing at trees making spears

being awesome
The perfect answer.
I love big knives. My Rule #9 just might be the perfect all around useful knife but the Rule #9 XXL is far cooler to have in me around camp.
No matter what you've been told, size matters.
By the way, the camp knife I have on order is bigger than normal, too.

I've always loved large knives! I'd really rather have too large a knife, and not need it, than have too small a knife, and need bigger! Size surely does matter! Ifn' I had a really nice big ham on the table and wanted to cut a nice big slice off for a sandwich, I wouldn't want to use a two inch knife! I'd want a six or even an eight inch knife, wouldn't you? Large knives are my thing I guess! Everyone has their thing you know? LOL!

ft

The Camp Knife is very similar overall to one of my all-time favorite camping blades, the Ontario RAT-7. IIRC I have the first Camp Knife made and got it right as I was getting ready to move to Idaho, so I haven't really had a chance to use it much yet. But the RAT-7 is my most used outdoor blade! It's a wood processing beast. I expect the Camp Knife will be as well.

Yeh, I do love my RAT-7! That's one that I take with me to the country, or the woods! That knife is a wood production manager! It is a chopper, a slicer, a dicer, a butcher, you name it, it can do it! I've even made a few primitive spoons with it!

FT (PSoJKK, #36)

IMG_0157.JPG IMG_0151.JPG IMG_0147.JPG Want to use my ML Hudson Bay more this coming spring and summer camping. Camp knives in general, not just JK right? Had to throw my Jk Hudson in there too, just had to find the pic.

I've been wanting a Hudson Bay knife, and was thinking of purchasing a Condor but, then I found out that it is made in El Salvador! I don't like to buy anything but, American knives! I guess I will have to ask John if he'll make me one? I guess you pay for what you get! The Condor is cheap, so you get cheap! Later!

I've been wanting a Hudson Bay knife, and was thinking of purchasing a Condor but, then I found out that it is made in El Salvador! I don't like to buy anything but, American knives! I guess I will have to ask John if he'll make me one? I guess you pay for what you get! The Condor is cheap, so you get cheap! Later!
I’m actually making one for a customer later this month.

Well, that's encouraging! It will probably be a while but, when I do have the money, I will get back to you on it! Thanks for letting me know!

I think mine needs to be used this spring. Needs a Good sharpening. Any idea the best way to sharpen a bigger blade like the HB? Mine has an edge, though about just stropping or use a stick sharpener that fits in the shirt pocket like a pen.

Back