Is the Case stockman the most popular pocket knife ever made?

There was an article in one of the knife magazines years ago on Victorinox. At that time, they were making 35 million SAK's a year, with the classic accounting for 9 million of that figure. That same magazine has a cover photo of the classic as "the most confiscated knife in the world."

Being that Victorinox is the biggest knife factory in the world, with the highest output and high speed computer run machines, I really don't think any other knife company can come close to the production figures of the SAK. Even Buck, took almost 50 years to produce the 10 millionth 110 folding hunter, compared to 9 million SAK classics per year.

Maybe it depends on country or region. In my part of Europe, I don't think they are very popular. When knife enthusiast gatherings were still happening, I never saw many stockmans. I think different models of Victorinox were the most common. There were also many trappers and sodbusters. And a decent amount of barlows and Buck 110 type hunters.

Interesting ....... I'm American, but have lived in Europe from 1993-98 and 2003 til now. I've never ever seen anyone carrying a slipjoint folder of any kind that wasn't a SAK (or SAK knockoff). I see the occaisional Opinel and various modern, one-hand openers, plus some multi-tools. But never a trapper, stockman, barlow, etc.

-- Mark

Interesting ....... I'm American, but have lived in Europe from 1993-98 and 2003 til now. I've never ever seen anyone carrying a slipjoint folder of any kind that wasn't a SAK (or SAK knockoff). I see the occaisional Opinel and various modern, one-hand openers, plus some multi-tools. But never a trapper, stockman, barlow, etc.

-- Mark

No Laguioles Mark?

-- Mark
That is true, for everyday knife if people here carry at all and don't hide it, they have mostly different SAK models and modern flippers.
I saw these traditional pattern slipjoints at enthusiast gatherings where people often brought a few knives that aren't part of their regular EDC rotation. Something they like but never really carry or just rarely to add some variety when they don't expect much use.

I think many people buy them only for collection because they look nice, but use something else more practical. I really like shiny bolsters, polished blades and nice color bone handles, but when choosing what to take with me, I know a bit boring D2 G10 will work better.
Even when it is only for collection, not many people I met were interested in stockman pattern. Usually when they had it, it was just one to have different patterns or to complete the series.

Interesting thread. Those numbers on the Victorinox factory are really something.

Over here in Australia, most shopping malls have a small key-grinder with a range of SAKs. Most camping stores sell Opinel and Victorinox. Larger ones will sell Buck, Gerber, Muela, Kershaw and china-Schrade. The only stockmen are the Victorinox and the Schrade.

So depending on how you class the Victorinox, its either an incredibly popular stockman, or else the stockman pattern almost falls off the popularity charts completely.

-- Mark

No Laguioles Mark?

None. I see 'em in knife shops, but I've never seen one "in action."

-- Mark

Here in France Laguioles are a classy touch in a barbecue toolbox but carrying such a sword on a daily basis is inappropriate, to say the least.
I know some hand workers who carry an Opinel. Very useful when a screwdriver isn't at hand.
The most sold and may be the most carried is the SAK. Take care to don't show it too much; a corkscrew, a cap lifter, a blade! Are you an alcoholic serial killer?

This summer i've unfortunately wanted to show to my grandsons how i whittle a ball in cage. "No! The use of a knife isn't part of their education!"

Progress is taking its toll on. After the destruction of the language and of the formal logic, what is targeted today is the unproductive work of the hands with the help of a simple pocket tool.
Hopefully i won't see where leads such an anthropologic change.

Dan.

I can easily remember pre-9/11 when SAKs were sold within the secure areas of just about every major airport around the world. They were so common that I made it part of my routine to walk into these shops to dispose of any local current remaining in my pocket by buying them, just before walking on to my flight.

n2s

Unpopular perhaps, but you're not alone. I agree with you. Despite their name, SAKs are multi-tools, not pocketknives

Who cares if it's popular or not? A Forum is for points of view.:cool:

Even when they're quite incorrect :D Not all SAKs are equal: some are more pocket-knife than others ;)

tc5oppf.jpg

Big recent favourite, single-spring, light, durable inexpensive and 2 blades I like and need

Additionally, SAKS have been around for a very long time, longer than even people here :D:eek: Pocket-knife and tools.

Here in France Laguioles are a classy touch in a barbecue toolbox but carrying such a sword on a daily basis is inappropriate, to say the least.
I know some hand workers who carry an Opinel. Very useful when a screwdriver isn't at hand.
The most sold and may be the most carried is the SAK. Take care to don't show it too much; a corkscrew, a cap lifter, a blade! Are you an alcoholic serial killer?

This summer i've unfortunately wanted to show to my grandsons how i whittle a ball in cage. "No! The use of a knife isn't part of their education!"

Progress is taking its toll on. After the destruction of the language and of the formal logic, what is targeted today is the unproductive work of the hands with the help of a simple pocket tool.

Dan.

Unfortunately, its pretty much the same in this country!:(

Yes Case has made a lot of stockman knives but I don’t think it would be more than some other models. With over 15 million Buck model 110 made and probably the most copied knife it is very popular. But it isn’t exactly recognized as a pocket knife but as a belt sheath knife. Just as SAKs are recognized as a multi tool that has a knife in the mix of different tools. So as far as the most popular “pocket knife “ I would venture to say the trapper is the most popular design by several manufacturers with the stockman being very close. In their day Camillus made a few stockman knives for several different companies and probably more than any other manufacturer. It depends on which perspective and the difference in models. Over the years many changes were made with most all the knife manufacturers and that kinda muddles the numbers.

If one is willing to go back aways, the jack knife probably accounts for the most pocket knives made. By the way, folding hunters and trappers are jack knives. 'Scout' knives and SAKs are up there pretty high, but I don't really consider them to be pocket knives either. I would call the lockbacks like the BUCK 110 more of a pocket knife than those tool 'knives'. I like them all, but SAKs are pretty borderline for me as a collectible. I do have one. Boring.

Dan.

Sad story that's becoming all too true in urban cities around the world.

Back