Is the fascination with patina a built-in human condition?

I go back and forth with patina. I have a couple knives that look really good with it and some that look better without it. I definitely prefer stainless since I don't have to worry about spotting or rust, but I like the edge carbon takes. It's a give and take, that's for sure.

there was one member who lived in a very humid climate and managed to sweat enough that the entire exposed portion of the 1095 turned black. that and the spring. guess thats pretty cool. I can never remember who it is. I suppose thats patina earned, not patina forced. Thats one of the reasons I wanted to see a knife made entirely out of 1095 just to see this happen. Mostly not a fan, prefer my knives as new or nos as possible. I dare say the etch on my 48 became lighter with the cleaning. but thats about it.

Here is patina from one outing of cheese and fruit.

O3vzmPU.jpg

I like to have the option. I go back and forth on it, and I live in a rainforest. I like it because it's fun, but I don't like pivots and joints getting corroded. So I have some carbon steels and some stainless steels.

Back