Is the Russian Bear for you?

Well this will be similar to my Sebenza post..
Do people use their Shiros or is it simply a knife that they buy just to see what it's all about, then throw it in the safe and one day take the 150 dollar hit on the resale value? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out right? Suppose the main reason why I'm asking is because I need to scratch this "flipper" itch and Hinderer is out of the question, think they are just too heavy..

EDIT: I've bought a Hinderer..because why the hell not.

Last edited:
Everyone is going to claim to use their Shiros whether they do or not. I've had 4 different ones, a 111, a 95 inlay, an F3 and my current is an F5 Silk custom division. I used my 95 a lot, the 111 was too large, and the F3 was a bit fatter than I prefer. The custom division will be used and carried sparingly because of the value of the knife. Shiros are overpriced, but exceptional. The shiro secret sauce is an almost full flat grind, with good ergos and amazing action. Those than can afford to use a Shiro as their primary edc love them. It depends on if you can afford to purchase a $700 user. If yes, go for it, if not, pass for a ZT or something along those lines.

I carry and use my neon everyday, granted I work in a office and only occasionally visit job sites. That Neon has saved me lots of money because I don't want to try any other knifes. I do have a FF falcon coming in I will probably sell it. And I did put down a deposit on the Orbit midtech other than those two I have not bought another knife and am not looking to buy the "One"

If you want a flipper that looks good try Zeiba knives. Made in Brooklyn, M390, Ti, and less than $700; you can afford to carry it. They also look good, particularly with the 24K gold plated spacer. I have an S1-mini. Yes I use it, don't have a safe anyway :)

If you want a flipper that looks good try Zeiba knives. Made in Brooklyn, M390, Ti, and less than $700; you can afford to carry it. They also look good, particularly with the 24K gold plated spacer. I have an S1-mini. Yes I use it, don't have a safe anyway :)
I'd really hate to actually cut with those weird grinds.

If you want a flipper built for use, try a DDR Dominator... Preferably one without a compound grind.

I'm convinced Shiros are for me, but they are certainly not for my wallet, so I'll never truly know. It'd be pretty wild if we got a ZT collab for like 250-300 though. Man, if they thought the 0562 sold well...

The only issue I see with a Shiro as a user is the warranty. We had the warranty thread in GBU which didn't give me any warm and fuzzies and it has to make a round trip to Russia.
Agreed. I buy from companies with warranties and service that is proven, well known, and hassle free. So Shiro is a no go for me.

While I'm not at the point in my life where I'd even be willing to pay $1,000 for a folder, I'm with the others that stated their concerns with the warranty. I know the warranty doesn't ultimately make the knife, but for something as expensive as a Shiro, I'd expect top notch warranty work.. Which it seems is not quite the case.

Allllll good except one. They are heavy as shit in the size im interested. Particularly the 3.6-3.75 blade length. If I remember correctly they weighed about 7 ounces. My max weight for carry would be no more than 5oz.

I use both of my Neons (a Lite and an Ultra-Lite) for everyday chores. I generally use my fixed blade knives for heavier work. Shiros are definitely overpriced but the two I have have minimized my desire to buy anymore knives.

The only issue I see with a Shiro as a user is the warranty. We had the warranty thread in GBU which didn't give me any warm and fuzzies and it has to make a round trip to Russia.

Agreed. I buy from companies with warranties and service that is proven, well known, and hassle free. So Shiro is a no go for me.
Ohhh didn't even think about the warranty issues. Man that's a bummer..they just seem like such a beautiful knife to work with, much the the Sebenza is.

Maybe I'll do more research on a "top notch" flipper and get back to you guys.

Also thanks everyone for the recommendations I'll be sure to check them all out later today once I'm off work.

Id love to have a 111 but theres no way I can justify 900+ for it,theres more for less out there which I think I have already.Same goes for the 95t which I would like too,just cant do it cause the price to me is just too high........

Id love to have a 111 but theres no way I can justify 900+ for it,theres more for less out there which I think I have already.Same goes for the 95t which I would like too,just cant do it cause the price to me is just too high........
Maybe I can convince my wife to give me a early Christmas present...other than that I think I'm going to look at some ZT to try and fill the flipper section of my collection.

Last edited:
I'd really hate to actually cut with those weird grinds.

I got one on Friday. The grinds are weird but work. I agree I was skeptical, but the front grind was full flat and the hollow grind and edge was perfectly symetrical. Zeiba's grinds were excellent. They would satify the nerdiest, OCD knife critizer...me? ;). I was at the ICCE and the fit/finish, action and ergos blew away the other maker's flippers.

I bought one with some trepidation that the grind would not be good for general work. However, on Saturday I cut the back out of a chickin, slits to truss the legs/wings, twists for gimlets&martinis, tomatoes for salad and cleaned the wormy parts out of corn. On Sunday I peeled onions, topped okra, prepped tomatoes for sauce and more bar duty. Weird but very functional grind. Opens envelopes too :) Have yet to use it on an apple.

Back