Is the Russian Bear for you?

Knives like wine, tend to require a certain progression before you can appreciate them. A $900 wine may not taste like it's worth $900 dollars to a guy who hasn't progressively developed his palate to appreciate the subtle notes. The difference between a wooden barrel and a steel vat may be lost on someone who hasn't learned how to first perceive and then appreciate the difference. Then there are those who have developed a mature palate but decide that stepping back a level can save a lot money and still provide "enough" enjoyment.

There is no one in my circle who will be anymore impressed by my Shiro 111 than my BM 610 Rukus. 99% of them might think it's the same knife. As much as I enjoy this community, I don't care about impressing anyone here with my collection. My Shirogorov 111 lets me appreciate the maturity of my palate, the fact that I can tell the subtle difference and am at a place where I can indulge the luxury. The maturity of my palate means I can interact with many more people in this community including those who also have mature palates.

One funny note is that, I had a Shirogorov before I had a PM2. PM2 is like "3 Buck Chuck". It's has the greatest value per dollar before the cost benefit curve begins to fall.

Last edited:
Shiro's are expensive (obviously) for what you are actually getting and I would say overpriced. However, the smoothness of a Shiro is something every knife enthusiast should at least feel. My Hati is probably the only Shiro I will buy, like many I had that itch to see what the hype was about, and boy did the Hati scratch that itch that no ZT, Hinderer or even Olamic could. I'm glad I got this knife and I carry it frequently with no plans to ever sell it.
Untitled by Danny Nystrom, on Flickr
Untitled by Danny Nystrom, on Flickr

It’s up until the last 3 comments I wasn’t convinced on getting a Shiro, now I’m highly thinking about it. Either that or I’ll at least make an effort to “test drive” one. I told myself “Ehh you have a Hinderer, you got your flipper covered don’t buy into a Shiro”. I can see now that knives as with anything else people might like to acquire is an addiction and I may never stop!

UQrIk9R.png

Back