Is the Xiphos or Roman Legion Sword the Ultimate All-Around Combat Blade?

You really should put a "Warning: Graphic Content Alert" before you link to something that bizarre. I am still on my first cup of coffee and my snark isn't powered up enough yet for the RAZR. I am still thinking I might get a Smatchet-shaped object from Scorpion, but hey, maybe Stowe would make one out of Premium Japanese Steel using all Traditional parts and techniques.....Oh, and Celtic battle tactics were bad? At no point does attacking by sledding down a hill on your shield sound like a bad idea. At least they left us a legacy of beautiful artwork and weapon design, those leafblades led to the Smatchet after all.

Imagine J. Lightning and Stowe teaming up to create a custom high speed, low drag special operator smatchet?
I am seeing dollar signs!!!!

Oh, and Celtic battle tactics were bad? At no point does attacking by sledding down a hill on your shield sound like a bad idea. At least they left us a legacy of beautiful artwork and weapon design, those leafblades led to the Smatchet after all.
article-1241199-07C67785000005DC-510_634x413.jpg
[video=youtube;TUhY8A1FnHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhY8A1FnHY[/video]
The only Celts to beat the Romans.

There is no optimal sword. Both the xiphos and the gladius were parts of a weapon system that involved a large shield and usually teams of similarly-armed combatants. The xiphos had to be short because it was intended for use in the crush of phalanx vs. phalanx and was made of bronze. Romans used the gladius paired with the scutum, and they didn't bother fencing the man in front, their classic target was the enemy trying to engage the man to the right. It's much easier to stab the man who isn't actually looking at you. Katanas have a cult-like following, but the primary weapon of the samurai was the bow and spears were preferred for hand to hand.

Weapons arise as a reaction to the tactics of the combatants and the resources available. Would the katana as we know it even exist if Japan had large amounts of easily available iron ore? There would have been no need to beat out the impurities with folded layers, and there wouldn't have been much point in putting that much work into a cutting sword if people were running around in full plate. The Iberians, for whatever reason, liked the falcata, so the Romans reinforced their helmets. The Marines were taking too many casualties from Moro blades, so they re-introduced leather neck armor and ditched the .38 for the .45. In China, the Red Boat resistance fighters would ambush Ching officials in alleys where twin butterfly swords had the advantage over the spears and longer swords of their bodyguards.

And what is the "ancient Western sword?" There are dozens of different types, in a full spectrum of lengths, blade shapes, and so on. If a weapon is good at one task, it frequently has to trade off with a disability. Nobody wants to be on the business end of a 2-handed Highland blade, but it is hardly ideal indoors or in an obstructed environment. Axes are not resource intensive (they can often thrust, too), but require room to use and can be broken at the haft easier than an all-metal weapon. The xiphos and gladius are fine blades for close quarters, but with no shield for defense their length becomes a problem. What can you afford to arm your troops with, what can they use effectively, and wil they work against enemy defenses? The weapon that has probably effected the most battles and regime-change through history might just be the sharpened and hardened bamboo pole.
I'd prefer kopis, metal blade 32,7-37,6 cm, one edge blade and xiphos, blade 48-52 cm , two edge sword- spanish steel (sweden steel would be nowadays choice, also), any day any time over romans gladius. Romans had crucial advantage over Greeks, development of metallurgy and the steel ore mines in Iberia. They had mad hunger for everything and were willing to do whatever was required, Even one more, but not rational, they used talismans-Hematite, Tigers eye, lapis and topas, which have been proved to be strong mental protectors and energizers -called: lithotheraphy. You could have removed fears and exhaustion for a certain periods, and make you endure the fight, even heal inflammations. The impact was temporary, but could have been repeated. You just had to know which one is for you, how to use it., what not to do. A

Last edited:
I would go with the khukuri. It’s stopping power and easy natural striking movement would be a big plus at close quarters.

n2s

Burton in his Book of the Sword makes the point that a thrusting weapon can be deployed on target much more rapidly than a slicing/chopping deployment. The distance traveled to target is much shorter, and you don't leave yourself open to your opponent as you attempt to swing your blade.

A short spear would be a nice defensive weapon, keeping your opponent at a bit of distance; you have to take care that he doesn't grab it and close with you, of course.

Napoleonic-era boarding cutlasses are a nice alternative. They have nice handguards, and are suited for both thrusting and slicing. Adding a spike at the pommel might make it even more useful at close quarters; the Indian Khanda is an example of what I mean.
https://www.mandarinmansion.com/item/khanda-etched-blade

Let's say you get any and all if these blades in your collection. Someone breaks into your home. You don't have a firearm handy, but these swords are in front of you. As you brainstorm (consciously and/or unconsciously) through all of the possibilities that may happen when you confront the intruder in your home environment, which blade do you grab? And, of course, this is hypothetical, but the question remains.
Easy answer. I was a widower with a baby. 35 years ago, I commissioned Barry Dawson to make a two handed tanto bladed short knife/sword of my design. It was hung in a sheath upside down on a coat hook on a bedroom door. Now, every bedroom door has coathook with a sheathed knife upside down. You asked.

There is a homemade 28 inch metal Escrima stick at the front door. As you insist on a sword choice, yes I do keep a wakizashi in the house. However, if I get up from the computer, I can have an Al Mar fixed blade deployed in under 3 seconds.

All you have to do is think. Someone or you kid's friend will steal that $800 handgun. That person will not think of looking for an escrima stick or a knife on a bedroom door hook.

You can buy an excellent Cold Steel SRK knife for under $70 and use it. However, that knife, like a $2000 sword does not come with skills in the blade. If you don't bother to spend the money and the time to learn situational awareness, night time fighting, knife fighting, you are unprepared.

seems to me that who and how you are fighting plays a big part in what a sword looks like. Sure, there was stability and continuity over centuries of Roman Legions fighting in the way they did. But any mounted Roman would have had a longer Spatha sword. The Greeks under Alexander eventually dropped the Xiphos for the bent blade Kopis and that really long spear.

As times changed so did the way people fought. Think of the Renaissance swords used by the king's guards in the Three Musketeers. Their primary sword was this long thin rapier, but they also carried "a left-handed dagger" for parrying that was nearly the size of a Roman Gladius. Later on, in the 1750-1850 period in Europe, the Small Sword" became the norm while in mid 19th century America, the Bowe knife was routinely worn even in polite company.

I'd prefer kopis, metal blade 32,7-37,6 cm, one edge blade and xiphos, blade 48-52 cm , two edge sword- spanish steel (sweden steel would be nowadays choice, also), any day any time over romans gladius. Romans had crucial advantage over Greeks, development of metallurgy and the steel ore mines in Iberia. They had mad hunger for everything and were willing to do whatever was required, Even one more, but not rational, they used talismans-Hematite, Tigers eye, lapis and topas, which have been proved to be strong mental protectors and energizers -called: lithotheraphy. You could have removed fears and exhaustion for a certain periods, and make you endure the fight, even heal inflammations. The impact was temporary, but could have been repeated. You just had to know which one is for you, how to use it., what not to do. A
What the what how did I miss this gem!?!?!?

Back