Is there a real reason for a multi tool?

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I currently own a crappy multi tool with a broken blade that is rusting in my door pocket, I'm going to get rid of that, I have a small toolbox in the back of my truck. I also own a Victorinox SAK, the big one, I forget what the name of it is, but it has EVERYTHING. Other than that, I mainly have single blades, except for my Barlows and my stockman. I've heard them regarded highly in magazines like Backwoodsman, I can understand if you are out in the "wild" and need a variety of tools, but other than that, is there really a reason to carry one? I am a desk jockey, and while I like to go hiking, camping and fishing (too lazy for hunting), I have come to the conclusion that I don't need a multi tool, I would have everything I need in either my backpack, tacklebox or camping gear. Before I succumb to this idea, any opinions that would make me change my mind?

silenthunterstudios said:
I have come to the conclusion that I don't need a multi tool, I would have everything I need in either my backpack, tacklebox or camping gear. Before I succumb to this idea, any opinions that would make me change my mind?

I don't like carrying a backpack, tacklebox or camping gear everywhere I go-- that's why I EDC a multi.

I agree with Umbert00 carrying a multi-tool is like carrying a small tool box
in your pocket.
I have a victorinox swisschamp (which i am guessing is the one you have) and i use it just about every day.
I even sleep with it on my belt ( :D dont ask why :D) and when I take it off not only do I feel like half a man, but it also feels like I ripped one of my appendages off!!! :eek:

I always carry at least one multi tool. I try to be a do-it-yourselfer around the house and even if I've got other tools with me, there's always something else I need. Also, as an EMT/FF I never know when I might be in the middle of a situation where a good pair of pliers or wire cutter or screwdriver, etc. could be crucial to have.

Maybe you could try a leatherman juice, they are small and light enough, to put in your jeans watch pocket and u wont even know its there till you need it.

umberto00 said:
I don't like carrying a backpack, tacklebox or camping gear everywhere I go-- that's why I EDC a multi.

I usually keep my larger multi in my backpack. It's a lot lighter and more compact than 20 individual tools.

If I know it will see lots of use, I sheath it to my belt.

I use it at least a couple times a day and I'm a desk jock.

Good choices for compact desk-jocks are:
1. Victorinox Cybertool 41 (similar to swiss champ, but slightly different tools). (Medium sized)
2. Leatherman Juice XE6 (medium sized)

3. Small tool like: LM squirt, SAK minichamp II, or mini SOG.

I recall having the same thoughts when I began carrying a multi-tool on my days off. At work, I am in and out of apartments, fixing stuff that a multi almost always handles so there's no question. At home it's more a matter of remembering that you have the ability to tinker with stuff on the spot. After a few needless trips to the cellar for tools, you begin to realize how much you can get done and in very short order.Also, there's nothing worse than climbing a ladder on the side of the house and finding out you need a screw driver or knife for a chore at the top of the ladder. Keep carrying, you'll see ;)

i think it all depends on who you are. some of us like to be prepaired and sometimes it is your daily situation, i.e. work. i do service work, and i Hate to walk back to the truck for a stupid screwdriver, pliers, etc.... i lived happily without a multi-tool for years untill i got a Leatherman for Christmas one year. it was all over from then on! i own alot of different ones but the juice, as others posted, is small and still handy. give a multi a chance! :D

I`m a Field Tech for a copier/fax distributor and I have a few large accounts. I have a toolbag with my main tools that I use, but the multitool is real convenient without having to carry/cart around the main one. What can I say, I`m a lazy bastid.

I'm a desk jockey and I've fixed more damn things in that office with my Leatherman....

I could never leave home without it!

A few years ago I ran over a 5 gallon heavy plastic paint bucket that dropped off a truck right in front of me on the freeway. It wedged in between the top of the rear tire and the wheelwell, pretty much immobilizing my car (I got to the freeway shoulder thank god). Since I never go anywhere without the Leatherman in my pocket, I was able to cut that thing out of there with the serrated blade and spared myself a huge hassle.

This is an interesting question. No doubt a multitool can be very useful as a portable tool kit for someone whose daily activities requires them, but that doesn't apply to me. Although I seldom need hand tools in my occupation (photographer), my Leatherman gets used for everyday fixes, mostly out of convenience when I am too lazy to fetch the proper tools from where they are stored. However, because of its value in emergencies, I carry the multitool just about always.

In the 8 years I have toted it, Supertool has "saved the day" so many times it has me a little spooked. That is because I never seem to have got into so many jams in such a short time period previous to acquiring it. Within 6 months of strapping it on, I got my transportation up and running three times, framed and hung a photo exhibit when the gallery's tools could not be found, experienced equipment malfunctions where the ST was the field expedient, once saving an important photo session, and even relied on it in a self defense situation (didn't come to blows). OTOH, prior to acquiring a ST, except for the occasional search for a bottle or can opener, I can't recall any life emergency that a multitool could have set right.

Although I have carried a knife since age 12, it had been as a convenience item rather than a necessity. Right tools for the job were in tool box at home, kit in car. In the military I was a mechanic, so even in the field tools were pretty much not far from hand. Likewise, for outdoor recreational activities I found saw, hatchet and food prep cutlery to have been more useful than any pocket folder. Nor was I any kind of knife enthusiast, SAK beside the point. Then one day at a sporting goods shop where I was shopping for something else, I noticed a Leatherman. Took me 10 minutes (that long?) to convince myself I needed it. At that point, my consciousness seems to have undergone a shift.

There is a custom, I have heard, that many Afghan tribesmen carry knives with an inscription on the blade that translates to: "You may need me but once in your life and for this you must carry me all your life."

Dunno. I like to think of myself as not superstitious but if I stop carrying I may reget it, or maybe if I stop carrying I won't need it any more. OTOH, it doesn't weigh much, far less than my customary bag of photo gear, for sure. On the belt, I seldom know it is there, so I only think about it in times like this.

I went out to my garage with some romex, wire caps, couple of lights, an outlet, and my Swisstool RS. I installed a plug, a light, and an outside light. Try that with any other ONE tool I dare you.

Like some others have said, it really does save you alot of trips back to the tool-box.

Not to mention, the multi-tool is the tool of chance and opportunity.
If you know that you're going to need some tools, then it makes sense to bring your tool-box.
But we often discover something that needs tightening or adjusted or fixed by chance, and it's nice to have a tool right on the spot when you encounter the need.

Allen.

Say you're in your truck, alone, late at night, without much other traffic on the road, and your right-front tire blows-out, sending you off the road and into a tree. As you see flames starting to flicker along the edges of your hood, and you try releasing your seat belt to escape, you discover that it's stuck. How are you going to escape before the flames start burning into the passenger compartment? Is the toolbox in the back of your truck close enough to reach and grab something to cut your seat belt with?

The "You just never know" factor necessitates a multi-tool.
GeoThorn

Thanks for your opinions, I'm going to look at the SOG and Leatherman multitools, see how they fit in the hand, and how they ride in my pocket. Maybe I'll get a belt sheath for current SAK champ and see how that feels. Maybe I'll just upgrade my current multi tool in my door pocket for a cheap Leatherman that I can store in my glove box or center console. Geothorn, your last post I wholeheartedly agree with, that's why I always have a knife on the seat next to me, right now it's my EDC, a SOG Blink. Whenever I go into work (can't carry them inside >:eek: ) I leave it on the seat, and unless I stop somewhere on the way home, it doesn't leave the seat until I stop and throw her in park. Then, she goes on my shelf when I go to bed. I'm rarely without a knife, so that part is covered. But, please, feel free to post your opinions, I am still thinking long and hard about this one...

Okay, I realize that everyone has their own preference, but while I am considering even using a multi tool, should I look at SOG? Leatherman? A smaller Victorinox? Spyderco? I'm partial to SOG and Spyderco, but I have no idea what they offer in the way of multitools. Also, I've seen some multi tools come with either the needle nose pliers or scissors. Your thoughts?

silenthunterstudios said:
Okay, I realize that everyone has their own preference, but while I am considering even using a multi tool, should I look at SOG? Leatherman? A smaller Victorinox? Spyderco? I'm partial to SOG and Spyderco, but I have no idea what they offer in the way of multitools. Also, I've seen some multi tools come with either the needle nose pliers or scissors. Your thoughts?

Spyderco only offers the Spyderench, which is discontinued at the moment. It lacked wire cutters, and they are considering an update, but no timetable.

If you do not need a pliers or wire-cutters, a standard size victorinox with the tools you need is the most economical choice. If you need pliers and a more traditional tool, go to this thread below, where I try to summarize everything. (lots of links and others opinions too.)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324274

I don't have any real "need" for pliers on a daily basis, or a screwdriver for that matter. :confused: I keep one Swiss Tool RS in the car and one in the house. I have used both countless times. I like having one near at hand, but find them too bulky to carry on me at all times. If I'm carrying a multi of any kind on me, it is usually my Squirt P-4 or my V-nox Soldier. The Leatherman Juice line might be a pretty good compromise.
Bottom line.....If it trips your trigger, carry it and use it in good health. ;)

Paul

Well, I use my LM Wave everyday. Lessee what I used my LM Wave today at the office: I used the blade to open two envelopes, I used the screwdriver to pry open my tea tin, I used the pliers to lift the hot tea strainer out of my teapot, and I lent the tool to use a screwdriver to an office mate (after ensuring that he knew that the knife blades were NOT screwdrivers). I only notice when it is missing from my belt.

Back