Is there a real reason for a multi tool?

I guess a multi tool wont replace some real tools, but it will work in most cases.

The idea of ti was to have something on you to help out. The pliers are the reason, why i would rate it over a swiss army knife.

If you are a craftsman with the tools at wok, why having a multi tool? I wouldn´t recommend it in that case.

But outside work or if your work doesn´t always need tools, it is a good thing to have it with you instead of everything in your car or as a heavy packing in the backpack.

I work as a real estate manager and there are minor cases when you have to use your hands (exept writing) but if the case arises, i always found it frustrating not to have anything with me. It always meant two possibilities:

Come back once again (time is money) or

Call someone else (costs).

Always the risk to forget about it.

Same at home: A furniture screw gets loose. Oh yes, have to fix it, but no screw driver at hand, kids or wife demands anything, forgotten. Now in the second you think, done.

Fo a non craftsman like me, a great addition whereever i go.

I have the old wave with the bit adapter.

A second thing was: My kids like to play with the bits and loose some. Instead of always searching the special bit, when needed, MINE are always at hand. (Even though my little daugther loved the wave to play :D ).

I'm a machinist running 2 cnc lathes every day... its a rare day that my leatherman wave doesn't leave its sheath at least twice (thats assuming I don't just leave it sitting on the table for easy grab and go) it works flawlessly for things like... removing long stringy chips that are stuck on a tool... emergency screw drivers for when I don't feel like going to my toolbox to get them (which is most of the time :D ) cutting cardboard (spacers between parts) or just for removing burrs (the file seems to be indestructible) I've forgotten it once or twice since I've been working here (almost 9 months of time) and both times I found myself reaching for it multiple times only to say $%@# cause I then had to run to my toolbox to solve a problem...

I can understand if you are out in the "wild" and need a variety of tools, but other than that, is there really a reason to carry one?

I will be honest, I only carry my Leatherman while working but it comes in handy on a daily basis. I work as a field service tech of sorts and work with allot of electronics and wiring and I carry the below rig made by Lifter

leatherman%7E0.jpg

I wear this every day and when I fellow techs go back to their vans to get tools, I can get the job done with what I have on me

Back