Is there a Spyderco manufacturing plant in the USA?

At the local knife shop today, I looked at 14 different models of spyders. Two, both Manix (serrated and not), were made in the USA. Others were from China, Taiwan, Japan (although some of those last rated the 'Seki city' additional tag line). Just wondering, is there a real factory in the us making spyders, or are the few usa made ones farmed out to real knife companies?

Anything marked Golden Colorado USA Earth is made in Golden at the Spyderco factory. Anything marked Seki Japan, such as the Delica/Endura (anything VG10), is made in Seki City. Some of the models, such as the Bob T Slipit, is made in Taiwan, although Spyderco sends them the S30V. The Byrd line, as well as the Tenacious, are made by Spydercos contractor in China. Spyderco services all of their models, regardless of country of manufacture.

My preffrance to where a knife is made is USA or Japan, but to be onesy the quality control from spyderco realy impressed me with the Tenacious thats made in china. Its a very solid knife and now what you would expect from china.

At the local knife shop today, I looked at 14 different models of spyders. Two, both Manix (serrated and not), were made in the USA. Others were from China, Taiwan, Japan (although some of those last rated the 'Seki city' additional tag line). Just wondering, is there a real factory in the us making spyders, or are the few usa made ones farmed out to real knife companies?

What exactly do you mean by "real knife companies?". Are you implying that Spyderco is not a "real knife company?" I hope not, as they make some of the finest knives i own
eek.gif

-- Adam

Tattered

Spyderco is about as real as any knife company gets. They make their own knives, here and abroad. They design and market their own knives or engage top knotch designers on contract or whatever to design something for them (Bill Moran for example).

They are seriously for real man. This kind of question applies to maybe something like S&W knives or the like.

We're not jumping on you (I'm not) but they are as for real as Buck or anybody else and have been around for quite a long time (20+ years at least).

Seki City is sort of the "Sheffield" or "Solingen" of Japan as I understand it...with a centuries long reputation for cutlery. I am just about equally partial to Seki City and Golden Colorado knives by Spyderco.

Tattered

Spyderco is about as real as any knife company gets. They make their own knives, here and abroad. They design and market their own knives or engage top knotch designers on contract or whatever to design something for them (Bill Moran for example).

They are seriously for real man. This kind of question applies to maybe something like S&W knives or something like that.

We're not jumping on you (I'm not) but they are as for real as Buck or anybody else and have been around for quite a long time (20+ years at least).

Seki City is sort of the "Sheffield" or "Solingen" of Japan. I am just about equally partial to Seki City and Golden Colorado knives by Spyderco.

My damascus steel hunting knife is from Seki and its probably the finest knife I own. Not a spyderco but Japan and USA make on par blades

Not trying to start an argument. Don't be so touchy. There are knife companies that are nothing more than a telephone and a computer and that is the extent of it: Everything is farmed out. Then there are those companies that produce what they sell, or at least most of what they sell. Then of course, that were at one time companies like Camillus that even made other companies knives as well as their own branded products. It's thost last two I refer to as 'real knife companies'.

I am aware of the reputation of Seki city, but no doubt there are top of the line knive manufacturing plants there, and some that are not such. I see where Spyder is going highlighting the city... nice deep stamping. Unline the barely visible 'China' etch their lower dollar knives carry, so cleverly made difficult to read.

Thanks for the answer on the Spyderco factory question.

I see where Spyder is going highlighting the city... nice deep stamping. Unline the barely visible 'China' etch their lower dollar knives carry, so cleverly made difficult to read.

So is the just passive aggression or full blown trolling?

2h2qryv.jpg

They probably should engrave it in the handle or something.

As others have said, Spyderco manufactures their Golden knives themselves. All the others are done through carefully selected contractors. Spyderco is very picky about their contractors delivering quality knives, so they don't let just anyone make their knives. While I had initially been hesitant about the Taiwan models, the consistent quality and value they deliver from there has completely shifted my Taiwanese paradigm. The maker there is very skilled and puts out, what is arguably, Spyderco's best quality knives.

I was also impressed with the quality of the China-made Tenacious that I bought, as it feels like a knife costing twice as much. My Italian Spydercos are all superb as well. Just keep in mind that wherever the knives might be manufactured, they end up going through QC in Golden. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Spyderco regardless of the country of origin because, at the end of the day, it's still a Spyderco.

P.S. My "China" stamp isn't very difficult to read.

There is a Chinese(?) city that Spyderco has begun stamping on their blades too, at the manufacturer's request because of its reputation for blade making.

There is a Chinese(?) city that Spyderco has begun stamping on their blades too, at the manufacturer's request because of its reputation for blade making.

I think that's a great idea. If they are known for great blades, they should be represented. Sheffield, Toledo (Spain, not Ohio), Seki City, Solingen, Eskiltuna (is that even spelled right?) etc.

I just walked across the building and, yes, there's a big factory over there, full of people making knives.

Spyderco has never been deceptive about where our knives are made. In fact, our catalog format has for years included the country of manufacture of every model in the specs.

Since it seems that you're somewhat new to the knife industry, you might be interested to know that before Spyderco, what we now take for granted as the "modern folding knife" didn't exist. Spyderco was the first company to manufacture a folding knife with a purpose-designed, ambidextrous, one-hand opening feature (the trademark Spyderco Round Hole) and held a utility patent on that invention for 20 years. Spyderco was also the first to offer a pocket clip on a folding knife and the first to make folding knives with serrated blades.

Spyderco has been a "real" knife company longer than many other knife companies have been in business. You might want to get a little sense of history before you start passing judgment--on anything.

Stay safe,

Mike

I just walked across the building and, yes, there's a big factory over there, full of people making knives.

Spyderco has never been deceptive about where our knives are made. In fact, our catalog format has for years included the country of manufacture of every model in the specs.

Since it seems that you're somewhat new to the knife industry, you might be interested to know that before Spyderco, what we now take for granted as the "modern folding knife" didn't exist. Spyderco was the first company to manufacture a folding knife with a purpose-designed, ambidextrous, one-hand opening feature (the trademark Spyderco Round Hole) and held a utility patent on that invention for 20 years. Spyderco was also the first to offer a pocket clip on a folding knife and the first to make folding knives with serrated blades.

Spyderco has been a "real" knife company longer than many other knife companies have been in business. You might want to get a little sense of history before you start passing judgment--on anything.

Stay safe,

Mike
well put companies like spyderco,Benchmade,Buck are why we have the quality cutlery today Buck helped us in ca be able to carry one hand openers.

No, not at present. But, as slienthunter noted, there's no reason why it may not happen in the future.

There is, however, one of Spyderco's makers in Taiwan who recently requested and received permission to add their city to the tang stamp of the knives they produce for Spyderco. Can't blame them, their knives are top shelf.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Unline the barely visible 'China' etch their lower dollar knives carry, so cleverly made difficult to read.

Using the word "cleverly" as you do makes it seem as if your implying Sal did that on purpose to deceive
Obviously you are new to the knife world, or have been away for a looong time. Sal is one of the most respected(and honest) persons in the knife world today. You don't get into the the Blade Hall of fame unless your a stand up guy in every regard.

Nice photo trick, darth. Makes it very clear.
My last post on this thread.

You may be new to knives, but just think a bit about that one.
Would you expect a low priced knife factory in China to have as good a stamping press/machine as the factory's that make the higher end Spyderco's?
The stamping is VERY clear on the China made knives, and Sal has nothing to hide. Maybe its not as deeply stamped as a non china knife, but that is not because Sal is trying to deceive.

Back