Is there a Spyderco manufacturing plant in the USA?

Guys, it's rather obvious the guy was trolling. There's no point in trying to argue with, correct, or inform him. Besides, the post from Michael Janich was more than enough answer.

If he's got some bizarre inclination to ignore Spyderco's history and knife production practices, that's his problem. The people in the know around here know better anyway.

thinking aloud here, so...
just maybe, a stamp which only states "china" is far too ambiguous for a knifenut :)
afterall germany has got mighty solingen; and japan with it's sacred samurai's one-stop city of seki.
and what of china?
does it even have a historical knife centre??
anybody's even heard of yangjiang city, guangdong province :-O
understand it's the commercial knife 'n scissor capital of china.
www.yangjiang.gov.cn/english/introduction/200909/t20090904_28236.htm
perhaps someday some intrepid knife importer will work their marketing magic about bringing to light - the enigma regarding china's largely missing historical knife making center.
it's a factual void that seems to be missing when marketing chinese made knives;
and this could partly explain the continued universal sense of great mistrust about chinese cutlery itself.
as a knifenut, i am hoping to see some historical and cultural proof which could bring to light any evidence of the slightest cultural reverence the chinese might have about their own knife making traditions.
mighty curious where has it has all gone to this past 3000 years??!
/www.cngint.com/NewLongOnes_id_1.html
an enigma, indeed.

Anyone happen to know the city in Taiwan that Deacon mentioned in his post and when the stamps will start to be added? Sorry to veer off, but I'm curious and agree that they are making some top notch production knives.

thinking aloud here, so...
just maybe, a stamp which only states "china" is far too ambiguous for a knifenut :)
afterall germany has got mighty solingen; and japan with it's sacred samurai's one-stop city of seki.
and what of china?
does it even have a historical knife centre??
anybody's even heard of yangjiang city, guangdong province :-O
understand it's the commercial knife 'n scissor capital of china.
www.yangjiang.gov.cn/english/introduction/200909/t20090904_28236.htm
perhaps someday some intrepid knife importer will work their marketing magic about bringing to light - the enigma regarding china's largely missing historical knife making center.
it's a factual void that seems to be missing when marketing chinese made knives;
and this could partly explain the continued universal sense of great mistrust about chinese cutlery itself.
as a knifenut, i am hoping to see some historical and cultural proof which could bring to light any evidence of the slightest cultural reverence the chinese might have about their own knife making traditions.
mighty curious where has it has all gone to this past 3000 years??!
/www.cngint.com/NewLongOnes_id_1.html
an enigma, indeed.
Anything's possible. There are definitely some high quality knives coming out of China these days. For example, the Ron Lake Tail-Lock Interframes.

On the other hand, the tang stamps on knives made by Spyderco's premier Japanese maker, Moki, simply say JAPAN.

Anyone happen to know the city in Taiwan that Deacon mentioned in his post and when the stamps will start to be added? Sorry to veer off, but I'm curious and agree that they are making some top notch production knives.
City is Taichung. So far, folks have posted that they've seen the stamp on the latest runs of the Bob T SlipIt and Sage I, but it may already be on other models as well. Pics of it on a Sage in this thread.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

City is Taichung.

I asked a Taiwanese coworker about Taichung. He told me the city is known for their craftsmanship and manufacturing.

From Wikipedia: "Taichung is an important center for a number of key industries. The city is a major manufacturer of bicycles and related parts, and sporting goods. Small metalworking and mold and die enterprises abound."

Sounds perfect for making some knives. ;)

To me, the OP sounds like someone that is unaware of the vast difference in QC applied to China-made Spydies (and knives from other brands as well) and the host of craptastic no-name throw-away knives found in discount stores these days. It's not that surprising considering the accepted and often proven, negative perceptions of poorly made Chinese products. Japan went through the same thing, along with Korea and Taiwan as well.

Last edited:
A bit off topic but do you know which of their knives are by Moki?

The ones that say "Japan" instead of "Seki City Japan".

Examples would include:

all Caly series
Persians
JD Smith
Barong
Khukuri
Zowada

Also, AFAIK, all Spyderco fixed blades in VG-10 are made by Moki.

Kiwi and Kopa too
Not to mention this one...

002_c27_jess_horn_pe_open_right.jpg

All the Spyderco Jess Horn models, for that matter.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Townsend, next time you post, you might just want to "keep it real" :)

Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

VG10 and ZDP come out of Seki. 8Cr13MoV comes out of China. S30v comes from Tawain. I just think the blades are made there. Just a guess.

VG10 and ZDP come out of Seki. 8Cr13MoV comes out of China. S30v comes from Tawain. I just think the blades are made there. Just a guess.

VG10 and ZDP don't necessarily come from Seki (VG-10 is made in Takefu), but being Japanese steels are used only in the Japan-made knives (including knife makers in Seki, Moki, etc.). S30V actually comes from the US, but is shipped to Taiwan for use in their knives, so you will find S30V in many of the US models as well.

Last edited:
No, not at present. But, as slienthunter noted, there's no reason why it may not happen in the future.

There is, however, one of Spyderco's makers in Taiwan who recently requested and received permission to add their city to the tang stamp of the knives they produce for Spyderco. Can't blame them, their knives are top shelf.

Paul

Ah, my mistake. I knew it was either China or Taiwan.

I just walked across the building and, yes, there's a big factory over there, full of people making knives.
I go to the SFO quite regularly, perhaps twice a month, to see what's new. In a couple of those occasions I was comming out while Mr. Janich was coming in. Both times he was busy talking on the phone. I guess people there work hard.:)

VG10 and ZDP don't necessarily come from Seki (VG-10 is made in Takefu), but being Japanese steels are used only in the Japan-made knives (including knife makers in Seki, Moki, etc.). S30V actually comes from the US, but is shipped to Taiwan for use in their knives, so you will find S30V in many of the US models as well.

Japan has started exporting VG10 to China and Taiwan, however so far I've only seen them in kitchen knives.

Guys, it's rather obvious the guy was trolling. There's no point in trying to argue with, correct, or inform him. Besides, the post from Michael Janich was more than enough answer.

The people in the know around here know better anyway.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm going to stick up for Sal anytime someone questions his character, no matter who it is.
Your real new here, but some are even newer, and may not be "in the know around here". Not trying to argue/correct/inform the OP, as much as trying to inform the new people that may be viewing this thread.

My preffrance to where a knife is made is USA or Japan, but to be onesy the quality control from spyderco realy impressed me with the Tenacious thats made in china. Its a very solid knife and now what you would expect from china.

The fit/finish on the PPT is as fine as any Golden or Seki knife I've seen.
I can only describe it as flawless in that I can't find a single issue.
It is stamped "Taichung" which I think is pretty cool :)

I remember in the yourube video Mr. Schemp stating that VG-10 was developed for the tree fruit industry in Japan and has a very fine grain structure. As for the rest I think you are right but as for S30V. It is Crucible steel that developed the steel with many makers including Chris Reeve for the cutlery industry. They are renowned for their CPM steels that include a lot and at the moment CPM-154CM seems to be a real hit. They are USA based. Crucible is the only producer of S30V as far as I know.

I have a tenacious and it si a top notch knife yet made in China. I care about its function and quality rather than what is stamped on the blade.

Back