Is this a stress fracture on my A.K. Bowie?

Could you (or anyone) describe in more detail how you'd go about this? My main concern is how deep this crack might be - if it's cracked as deep as it is long that would be a lot of metal to remove, and I wouldn't want to mangle this nice blade in that way. On the other hand, if it's more likely the crack is only on the surface, and I could save this blade by grinding a shallow scallop in that spot, I'd do it.

Being a blacksmith and seeing the crack, regardless of how it was caused, I would not attempt to grind the crack out. The resultant reshaped blade might not look attractive, you might loose valuable temper which equates to work ability of the blade. The balance will be changed and so the "sweet spot" may move on you. Since Bura crafted that blade, your best bet would be to keep it as a collectible or sell/trade to another aficionado. It's my personal opinion that batoning wood with a smallish knife is not in the best interest of the knife. A fro is the proper tool or a bigger blade.

As this was before the micro bowie, this is at least a 15" blade. Not a small bowie. Back when this was made, they were also quite thick. Being differentially tempered, the spine should not be hardened. If done carefully and kept cool there should be no loss in temper. The sweet spot won't "change", it will still be in the same place it was put. The "balance" of the blade may be somewhat affected, putting it a bit more handle heavy. If done with care and forethought the blade should be both attractive and useable in the end. The only problem that isn't foreseeable is just how deep the crack may be on the inside.

Its either retire the blade to light usage or altogether as a "collectible" or contact Auntie for replacement.

Send the Bowie back to HI and I will send replacement and galdy add this one on my Bura collection, Delta Factor

As this was before the micro bowie, this is at least a 15" blade. Not a small bowie. Back when this was made, they were also quite thick.
Yes, it's 15" long, nearly 1/2" thick spine at the thickest spot. Not what I would consider a small knife! :) I wasn't aware they made different sizes - I don't see them on their site.

Send the Bowie back to HI and I will send replacement and galdy add this one on my Bura collection, Delta Factor
Thank you for the reply. Would the replacement be the same size and weight and dimensions as this older model? It seems the new ones might be of different sizes and I wouldn't want a replacement if it was different.

Yes, it's 15" long, nearly 1/2" thick spine at the thickest spot. Not what I would consider a small knife! :) I wasn't aware they made different sizes - I don't see them on their site.

It used to be they only came in 15" and sometimes 18". Now we have IBBB's that are about 8"-9" OAL. They aren't listed on the site. Nowadays they aren't usually a 1/2 inch thick either.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that I think the current bowies are not only as strong as the older ones but they are a little more shapely and handy to use as the don't weigh as much as boat anchors.

It's the difference between an 800lb and 700lb gorilla.

Having used both I'd say that the newer, thinner ones are just as strong....but they don't bite quite as deeply as the older, thicker ones.

I'd love to see a picture of the whole knife. Looking at that piece I don't see a bowie, too curved looks like to me. Not that it matters, I'm just a curious sort, gets me in trouble all the time.

Being a metallurgist - that is a very strange shaped crack ! I'd return it unless some collector wants it. For a user get a new one ! The crack indicates something serious is going on .It doesnt indicate anything near a proper blade !!

Me, me, me. Sorry karda, really, I couldn't contain myself. Sorry.

Are bigger AK bowies no longer being produced? Since all I see is mentioning of the smaller ones?

Are bigger AK bowies no longer being produced? Since all I see is mentioning of the smaller ones?

They are still being produced off and on. They usually don't have the 1/2 inch thick spines anymore though.

That's a beauty. I have one very similar by Bura. Certain details about the blade and scabbard suggest that yours and mine are from the same time period. Yours has a little more recurve along the edge, which is nice.

Shame about the crack, or whatever it is.

Mine is 15" overall length and weighs 24 oz. Not sure about the spine thickness, and it's put away so I can't check right now. Here's a picture of mine:

View attachment 532849

Well, thanks for the input everybody, I've decided not to try to return it, or grind out the crack or alter it in any way. The Bura-made knives seem to be special enough even with a flaw. I may try to sell/trade it if I get the opportunity.

Is it against forum rules to ask for opinions on what dollar value of the knife might be? I really have no idea...

Well, thanks for the input everybody, I've decided not to try to return it, or grind out the crack or alter it in any way. The Bura-made knives seem to be special enough even with a flaw. I may try to sell/trade it if I get the opportunity.

Is it against forum rules to ask for opinions on what dollar value of the knife might be? I really have no idea...

It probably is against the rules, but I suspect that you'll hear privately from some people. Not me, since I already have one.

I have a couple of old AKB's.

9f96e62956c9effb5b04e790ae5a32b2

From the left the third and fourth are Buras. Notice the difference in the handle shapes. They have their own character even from the same Kami. One has a round handle with a nice palm swell. and the other has a coffin shaped handle much like the modern Bhakta made (fifth from left). The second one is from Sanu and has very deep fullers and very pronounced palm swell. The far left is an 18" Vim AKB with a handle shape much like Bhaktas modern piece but a big round skull crusher tang. They all have their differences.

a192f9d05215cf9e9112476a5965d701

In the same order notice the spine thicknesses and even the distal taper and thickness at the tang. Lots of variations.

e565db82e2ce0a2377b7922a3ff96b76

These are both Buras. Note the difference in handle style. Buras are still out there and they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for. The newer Bhakta 15" AKB's are very fine blades and refined to perfection in my opinion. You got a freak defect there and I doubt we will ever see another like it. I posted these just to give you an idea whats out there still (and showing them off dont hurt:D). Buras are not extinct. Just very desirable.

Back