• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Is Your Most Expensive Knife Your Favorite Knife?

My most expensive knife is a Spyderco Sage 3 but it's relatively inexpensive compared to some of the knives out there. While I really like my S3 I wouldn't say it's my favorite. I actually don't have a favorite. Like you (I'm 51) I just started carrying and enjoying knives again after not having one in my pocket for several years. I now have 18 knives of various size and shape. I mostly have Spydercos but have some other brands including, Buck, Benchmade, Kershaw, and a Victorinox Cadet. When choosing knives I do my homework and research pretty carefully before I spend money. So all of my knives are something I wanted to have in my small collection for one reason or another. I'll probably add a CRK and a ZT at some point, maybe some others that aren't on my radar yet. I'd love to have a Rockstead someday but not sure that'll ever happen due to the cost. I'm also a gun enthusiast so my funds are divided between the two hobbies and they're certainly limited. So I have to choose wisely.

My most expensive knife is my Zt 0562. But my favorite is my Emerson horseman. The Zt has the Emerson beat by I think $10 or $15. I carry both of these the most out of any folders I have.

Not at all. My most expensive knife is my Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri in Carbon V. I love that knife, but my favorite fixed blade is my EK&T Companion, which I spent over $100 less on. Meanwhile, my most expensive folder is the Spyderco Ti Military, but my favorite folder is my Calypso, which I also spent significantly less on.

I would say no, though I certainly do carry and use the most expensive knife I currently own, which is my Bodega.

My favorite knife is a tough thing for me to decide, but if I had to pick one, honestly it would likely be based on the person who gave it to me, or the meaning behind it, not on the knife alone. Most of the knives I truly love and would be competitive for my favorites are MUCH less expensive than my other knives, but were given to me by people very close to me, and that makes them much more valuable than anything else.

I don't spend more than 300$ on a knife so I'm not afraid to use them. But to answer your question, I try to convince myself occasionally the more expensive ones are the best because they cost the most! But id say my favorites are the bang for buck knives, specifically kizer. I just live their knives.

Check em out, prices are great!

One, but not the most expensive, that I have been trying to carry often is my CKF Gratch Flipper. Favorite knife except for the size. The blade is 3 3/4" which is about 3/8' longer then I like for an EDC. I seem to be back to my modified, de-assisted ZT 0556 or a small Sebanza when not wearing jeans.
P1030227-vi.jpg

After a year of nutso buying/trading/selling, I've settled onto six different knives that I rotate through. Each is dearly appreciated, and I'd be hard-pressed to pick a true favorite. Each time I think, "This one is my favorite!" I change my mind the next day when I carry/use a different knife in the collection.

And the fact of the matter is, they're all pretty pricey with all the after-market mods I've had done. All except two: FRN Native5 and SE DF2. Those two are just as favorite. :D

My biggest problem is I love them all! Very tough to make a decision every day! But I will say my benchmade Contego was my most expensive and I carry it the most!

I would probably have to say yes. It doesn't get the most carry time, but it is my favorite knife, and currently most expensive. Its smooth, solid, good looking, high quality, and has snakewood!

Lg Sebenza 21 Snakewood Inlay

My most expensive knife currently is my bm42 which I paid way to much for. I like it a lot but its a flipper for me and I dont use it for EDC and didnt buy it for that purpose. I carry other balis the 51 is an excellent edc but, at the moment my favorite carry knife is probably my kizer zugang or my izula. Ill take both with me. Close second is zt0452cf.
NCLc2zl.png

CwsKhDU.jpg

1YUIRpn.jpg

My favorite knife and user is the Pacifi Salt. When I first got it (the first of many Pacific Salts, anyway) it was my most expensive purchase, and it was my most used and expensive knife for a while.

20150726_182325_zpszfxvi84w.jpg

Nowadays I've paid more than twice the price of a Pacific Salt for many knives, but while it no longer is my most expensive it remains my favorite and most used folder.
So, the answer is yes, during some time it was, but no, it is not as of today.

20150726_182226_zpslkpmaoy8.jpg

Nice knives you have guys!

At this point it's not. My Rockstead Chi is currently my favorite knife with regards to overall size, blade size, blade shape, smooth deployment, and because of that killer mirror finish.

I don't think I've ever broke $500 on a knife yet. I'm close, in fact with aftermarket hardware I'm probably over $500 on my XM-18. I've got a couple of Begg Steelcrafts, several Reates, a couple CRK's, several ZT's including two flavors of 0392LE, a G10 Shiro Tabargan (probably the most "expensive" knife I own except I picked it up on the secondary market at a nice discount, a Strider, a couple of CKF's, several Spydies in the >$100 range but no real LE's...same with Benchmade. I've got a bunch of money tied up in my Skyline collection but that's spread out of 20'ish knives, oh...and a Kershaw Ruby...I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking of at the moment. I'm about to make the next step up in knives...I'm going to skip 4-$200 knives and try out a Rockstead ;)

In terms of favorite, dang...that's hard. I don't have one single knife that I carry significantly more than the others. I have a rotation of 64 of my favorite folders. I have no safe queens, but my use is a lot lighter than it used to be. Sometimes I pick up a high value knife, like a RealSteel H6-S1 and it's my favorite knife because I'm blown away at how well it's made and designed for $30. Sometimes its my Begg mini Bodega because it's just a joy to play with. Sometimes its my Zaan, just because the marvel of simple engineering that CRK's stand for.

So, I guess my answer is SOMETIMES my most expensive knife is my favorite knife. SOMETIMES it isn't. I'm a faithless bastid!

This post sounds like it needs pictures to go with it! Sounds like you have some nice ones. I have similar plans for my next folder purchase. Skip the 100-300 knife purchases and save up for something (hopefully) awesome. Shiro or Rockstead.

$1300 for my Darrel Ralph custom AA-AXD. It is currently my most expensive... until he builds my XL Dominator ($1450). It's my favorite because it is a tangible testament to my time in sobriety.

No, my favorite knife is NOT my most expensive knife! My favorite knife is an Ontario Rat 1, very affordable. I really like my Spyderco PM2, but it's not my most expensive knife, either. My Benchmade Griptilian 550 is right up there, too (surprisingly, as I didn't care much for it for the first year or so that I had it), but it's not my most expensive knife either. So, my three most expensive knives (not listed in this post, one of which is custom) are not in my top 5 favorites.

Last edited:
No. My favorite folder is the all black, non-serrated Benchmade 275 Adamas. It is not even my most expensive Benchmade. When without it, I don't feel 100%, notwithstanding the fact that I always have a good to great quality blade of some type on my person. It seemed as though its crown was going to be handed to the BM 757 Vicar as to becoming my new favorite, particularly as customized. However, its detent, or disconcerting lack thereof, prevented its ultimate ascension to the throne. Thus, Adamas continues to reign supreme, for me.

How can a folder vaguely resembling in the abstract, as well as being the functional equivalent of, a massive, sturdy and over-engineered Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Ausf. E Tank, with the speed, quickness and handling of a Porsche 911 Turbo Targa, ever be surpassed? For me, subjectively, the proverbial mold has been broken.

Last edited:
I would say no, though I certainly do carry and use the most expensive knife I currently own, which is my Bodega.

My favorite knife is a tough thing for me to decide, but if I had to pick one, honestly it would likely be based on the person who gave it to me, or the meaning behind it, not on the knife alone. Most of the knives I truly love and would be competitive for my favorites are MUCH less expensive than my other knives, but were given to me by people very close to me, and that makes them much more valuable than anything else.

So true,and let me say,your tag line on the bottom really hits home and it brought real smiles ,thank you!

Back