It followed me home (Part 2)

Garry, that True Value axe/hatchet is 2lbs 14oz with the handle. The head is 2lbs 5.5oz. It looks to have a boy's axe eye when matched up to one.
The poll? It looks to have beaten something at one point and shows a little mashing or maybe a "chipping" dent on the edge but no caving in the center portion. I did get the wood and metal out of the eye and the handle seems appropriate so back on it will go after some cleaning and "make sharp".

When I take a file to the poll it seems pretty hard under the rust layer but maybe not as hard as the bit. I don't know for sure but there does seem to be a line of sorts around the whole back end.
It also has a "B" stamped under the bit.
TrueValue by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr
House axe I would guess, as is my Fulton. The letter stamp is interesting. Many of the Fulton's also have a number or letter stamp, usually under the poll. My house axe has a stamp under the poll, F-8 maybe. Yesteryear credits Kelly with the Fulton Clipper and a Fulton Tools Special.
There sure are some similarity's...

Another great haul of eye candy!!
I like that Bank Blade...looks familiar.

O2UhNXv.jpg

Do you know if they are Ames manufactured?

That red hatchet looks like a decent one, but what about the one best to it ? It almost looks like it could be one of those cheapo raised bit hatchets, but that handle also appears to have a nice shape so who knows.

I have one of those raised bit, cast iron Barco (?) hatchets and I think that's one as well. The handle is nice on mine just like that one, and when my 5 year old finally bores of it's inability to chop or chip or make a dent...I will be looking to repurpose that handle :)

I have one of those raised bit, cast iron Barco (?) hatchets and I think that's one as well. The handle is nice on mine just like that one, and when my 5 year old finally bores of it's inability to chop or chip or make a dent...I will be looking to repurpose that handle :)
You've heard they may be barco industries ?
The only one I've ever seen in person was horrible looking and I think made in China or Mexico so I passed on it even for 50¢

Great score! Several are sporting nice vintage handles. I'm curious about the Plumb. What's the label, Cooper era? (Still great but newer.) Dreadnaught (wishful thinking). And I love the look of that ice axe. Cool handle on it, too. Does it have a stamp?
Gifford-Wood. Yes looks like Cooper era.

As I posted not long ago, those raised-edged hatchets can have a backwards-B stamp that matches the stamp on a new BARCO splitting wedge I recently bought.
Hmm, that's good to know.
If I find one cheap that's got the barco B I may pick it up on the chance the steel is acceptable and might be worth thining the bit.

Back