It followed me home (Part 2)

Today's single garage sale fun after the boys went to school.
$30 for all.
What I loved about the homeowner was his love to barter and negotiate as much as I do...the vice alone he started at $40 :thumbsup:

X3QLvyI.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/g0mpz

I can't help myself when it comes to the Mattocks and railroad picks.
Collins Mattock is very nice! So is the Olympia anvil vice, 6" jaws. It's a behemoth on my bench...may need a bigger garage for a bigger bench honey.
No axes or hatchets that he was ready to part with. All still users he said, they were not out to see.
Imitation :) This is weird I could take almost identical picture : vtg reed 104 1/2(heavy basta...d 67 lbs) , mattock, pickaxe, sledge hammer , and True Temper papagayo hoe, no name knife that looks to me like drop point hunter

Last edited:
Today I was visiting my mom and brother ( to help him assemble a cheap sheet metal shed ) and I scored the best find I'm likely to come across.
It's a new old stock ( 1977 vintage ) Imperial "Veri Veri sharp " 8" serrated poultry slicer. It was 99¢ at the local goodwill and as the name suggests it's actually very sharp with an extremely acute tip ( barely touched it and it punctured me ) I really love Imperial knives for their value to price ratio so I was extatic.

Then I ended up finding a broken large rubber mallet that had it's handle snap after very little use which someone was tossing out.
Most wouldn't want to fix something like this, but since something like this new which comes with a crappy handle costs about 5$ I figured a $2 hickory handle form a favorite local store plus a little work was worth the savings. Luckily I brought my toolbox with me because it was a bear to remove the existing wood.
I just oiled it when I got home, and this handle was extremely dry and gulped up a crap load of blo in under 5 minutes. It could probably even take more if I wanted.

Last edited:
I bought a rubber mallet (new) identical to yours in the early 1970s. 50 years later the material is no longer very forgiving and it crumbles easily. It's always been in a tool box (ie not exposed to sunlight) but degradation has taken place anyway. Same reason (I guess) that you're not supposed to rely on automobile tires beyond 10 years.

I bought a rubber mallet (new) identical to yours in the early 1970s. 50 years later the material is no longer very forgiving and it crumbles easily. It's always been in a tool box (ie not exposed to sunlight) but degradation has taken place anyway. Same reason (I guess) that you're not supposed to rely on automobile tires beyond 10 years.
Thats the problem with my current one, it's well beat and the rubber is kind of old.
This one however doesn't appear to be very old, it's like it came with a very horrible handle that broke after little use.

Last edited:
He's going to try to repair it. I'd like to know what happened to it. I bet that blacksmith was mad as a hornet when that thing broke.

Does it look like Collins? The only mark I see up to this point is "tool steel U.S.A."
R King R had similar marking "R KING tool steel U.S.A."

He's going to try to repair it. I'd like to know what happened to it.

Can you see how Neatly that crack bisects the hardy-hole?And how parallel to it it runs?...

Well,sir,what happened is that someone...(ill-informed,that would be politically-correct term),has used a hardy-tool with a tapered shank bigger than the correct size.As in,instead of bearing on the face of the anvil as a tool must,it put pressure against the face-plate from the inside od the hardy hole.
It's a good,valuable anvil(even as is).
By patiently laying a weld-bead side by side and grinding scrupulously in between,one can grow that plate back up.It'll take time,and rod,but will be worthwhile.
(on one of the anvils i used a long time a bead of 7018 filling up space is only distinguishable by slight color difference).

R King R had similar marking "R KING tool steel U.S.A."

Yes, it looks very similar to one of the R. King stamp shown under Collins at YesteryearsTools:

King%27s%20A%209.jpg

The label on the handle could match the description from an old auction listing:
Vintage hatchet is issue free, solid, tight head...
Sticker reads:
TOUGH TOOLS
SPECIAL PROCESS HEAT TREATED
FOR DURABLE SERVICE

IMG_20171101_162004106.jpg

Yes, it looks very similar to one of the R. King stamp shown under Collins at YesteryearsTools:

King%27s%20A%209.jpg

The label on the handle could match the description from an old auction listing:
Vintage hatchet is issue free, solid, tight head...
Sticker reads:
TOUGH TOOLS
SPECIAL PROCESS HEAT TREATED
FOR DURABLE SERVICE

IMG_20171101_162004106.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=SXMSepga1VEC&pg=PA132&dq="special+heat+treating+process"+axe&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh473m757XAhVDKyYKHVdmDfMQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q="special heat treating process" axe&f=false

Back