It followed me home (Part 2)

Did you find that local to you? Neat anvil!
I found it about 45 minutes away. I wasn't expecting to find anything on Thanksgiving! Gave me a little sumthin extra to be thankful for... I'm steaming a few bent hafts. Trying get em straight again. Here's one in progress.
AxEE9zd.jpg

My old fondue maker is producing steam for me and the new anvil is the weight.

These followed me home. Does anyone know what this style of head was used for? In case you can't see it's a WV head marked 8 or 9 and BC. edit: 6-B.C. Is the BC a railroad or shipyard or something? The handle just so happened to be 10-20 feet away from the head. A match made in heaven. Included are 2 pics of the AWESOME old hand tool section at my source's place of work. Over time it will be picked clean I hope. Ps, anyone know the rest of the handle co's name?
IMG-1017.jpg

IMG-1018.jpg

IMG-1019.jpg

IMG-1020.jpg

IMG-0970.jpg

IMG-0955.jpg
IMG-0956.jpg

IMG-0957.jpg

Last edited:
Better stuff than my crappy picture:

image.jpg

Left:
- (almost) full-sized Bavarian pattern axe, maker unidentified (but deff. German steel) - as a particularity, I'd visually guess more of the weight is concentrated around the eye and poll than usually - I'll see how it balances compared to others;
- a French "hachette de menage" (2.25 lbs); unmarked, hardened poll, slip-fit w/ oval eye.

Right:
- 800 grams, Rhineland pattern, made by "Ludwig Schniewind &. Co." (https://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/schniewind_ludwig.phtml);
- bunch of folders: top one marked "Bayer" (yep - that Bayer - these were usually made in Solingen as promotional items but were of at least decent quality (carbon steel), incredibly snappy after that much time), bottom one "555" (French) and a younger Opinel in-between.

Last edited:
Caulking tools, fire axes, and lots of interesting stuff. The wooden spoke shave - look useable?

Also, what are all of the circular/square deals with emblems of some sort in them?

They are various jewelry dies, or hobs. For stamping out pendants/charms etc. There are roughly 40 of them. I had just started looking through them when the seller said I could have the whole bucket full for $85. I stopped looking and just said OK.

The wooden shave does look good, it has a curved edge. I'll email pics if you have an interest.

These followed me home. Does anyone know what this style of head was used for? In case you can't see it's a WV head marked 8 or 9 and BC. The handle just so happened to be 10-20 feet away from the head. A match made in heaven. Included are 2 pics of the AWESOME old hand tool section at my source's place of work. Over time it will be picked clean I hope. Ps, anyone know the rest of the handle co's name?
IMG-1017.jpg

IMG-1018.jpg

IMG-1019.jpg

IMG-1020.jpg

IMG-0970.jpg

IMG-0955.jpg
IMG-0956.jpg

IMG-0957.jpg

Thanks! Now what was it used for on a ship?

Mutiny suppression I think...
Here is some reference from the forums.
This website actually shows one in use...the point was used to drive nails into countersunk holes (among other uses, I'm sure). That also explains the short handle on mine...likely original then.

http://www.mysticseaport.org/morganblog/2012/12/planking-this-and-that-failed-wood/
https://www.mysticseaport.org/morganblog/2012/12/planking-this-and-that-failed-wood/
2012-IMG_4359.jpg

Three dimensional drawing of a "Ship-carpenters' Pin Maul" here :

llustrated Hand-Book and Price Current of Machinery and Iron Work

Appleby Brothers
https://books.google.com/books?id=6G8DAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=Shipbuilders'+pin+maul&source=bl&ots=klKGMb6S5T&sig=nbQNSb8nCqw_CY3bGDqF9dE_fhg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjD3ZrI4qbUAhVH34MKHbM3ASoQ6AEIYTAG#v=onepage&q=Shipbuilders' pin maul&f=false
(page 44)

Of course I wouldn't discount other variations.

Bob

dHIg71m.jpg

AGENT_H
Your red maul is a Shipwrights Pin Maul. It was used when ships were built with wood decks. The eye is small because they have very thin flexable handles. I have one with an original handle (hickory of course) but can not post pictures. Sorry

Thank you OldAxeman. Very much appreciated picture or no picture! Another specialized tool that has been left behind in memory as mechanization and modern materials take over. So they have been identified as ship mauls, top mauls, pin mauls, and grab maul/skipper. There definitely is a nautical theme with them.

Simmons Hardware Co. Manual Training Blue Book, Catalogue No. 776 (1912), p.19 (p.41 of the pdf.)

7tj3UzC.png

http://www.blackburntools.com/artic...es/keen-kutter/pdfs/simmons-1912-no-776-i.pdf

Woodings-Verona Tool Works Woodings-Verona Tool Works Catalogue 16, p.53 (p.54 of the pdf.)

hnEF5IJ.png

http://www.blackburntools.com/artic...rchives/pdfs/woodings-verona-catalogue-16.pdf

As far as handle length, I wonder if it was up to application. I can count 5 I’ve come across in person (only bought the one) and they all had 36” inch handles. This long after their use, it’s entirely possible that they were rehung to be used/sold without their intended purpose in mind. The old scanned catalogs that I was looking at just list the heads and their specs but not the handle length. Additionally, Warren 1937 catalog’s grab maul and skipper came with a 36” “Best Hickory Handle”.

This isn’t a true test of their usefulness but I did try to use it to simply drive a hole in the ground using a 2ft steel stake to start a hole for one of those “mole sounders” in my backyard and decided that I lacked the feel and accuracy for the thing on a 36” handle – felt a long ways away from my target. Ended up using a 3lb hammer. Seeing SCT100’s link to the ship building process using one, I can see it being useful on a much shorter handle. There is also a similar head listed there called a “Railroad Spike Maul” that is similar in shape but the tapers kind of look like an elongated sledge bevel.

X7a9FJB.jpg

There is mention in the Simmons catalog of them coming painted red with beveled sides – this kind of fits the profile of the one I have here. Mine is marked with F.P.S. (agency or company mark?) that looks like it was done by hand as the “F” on one side was flipped upside-down then remarked over the top itself – I was picturing the guy marking one side then starting the other side just to stop and realize he wanted it to read the same direction as the first side. There is also a partial mark under the weight that maybe someone here would recognize (I’ll get a picture).

Speaking of eye shapes, in the Woodings-Verona and the Simmons catalogs they refer to the round-eye chopping mauls as their “Oregon O Pattern”/”Oregon Axe Eye”/"Oregon Pattern" – Just interesting is all. To be honest, I didn't realize there were so many specialized hammer styles. If you get a chance to look through the catalogs, you should – they are pretty neat actually, especially the Woodings-Verona where the illustrations are quite well-done.

Oh, JB that is a great haul there! – you really hammered that one. ;)

About 1957 I went to a sailing school in Castine, Maine and we had wooden sailing boats, which of course need maintenance. The school had an older man, probably in his late 60's who I was told could not read or write but he knew how to maintain a wooden boat. Old Axeman's comments above about the calking irons reminded me of watching the old man caulking one of the wooden sailing boats. John

It's been slim pickings for me lately. Saving up dough for the long Maine winter ahead too. I got these two days ago though. A wood slasher with 6 eye ridges. It's sitting in my abandoned axe rack. It's too near my fireplace to store axes there in winter.
cyCNQlt.jpg

A nice little Estwing hatchet.
S1xIpqM.jpg

And an old brass powder measure.
9lOaXBT.jpg

JuB4sCT.jpg

And an S&N cruiser? Has a smaller eye. Weighs just over 3#
Q7GaPFu.jpg

u9mYauS.jpg
yQMwWde.jpg

I thought this was a mono steel axe at first but you can clearly see the incomplete weld in the overlaid bit here.
cgyVy6u.jpg
BlQHZil.jpg

And just below the s&n you can see the line differentiating the steel. Almost as if the company name is underlined by it.
JPnbXHr.jpg

Anyhow nice to get some new things! Take care everyone.

These were part of a bigger haul of mixed tools; lots of wrenches, files, wrenches, screw drivers, wrenches etc....did I mention the wrenches? You can see some of big bigger pieces in the background of this pic: Latham & Owen - Seargent hunting knife - it's pretty worn down...mostly from aggressive sharpening I think, but it still holds an edge.
43801662820_0a2d8aaa41.jpg

The middle hatchet is a Walters Black Diamond but I have no idea what the other two are; no visible markings on either. The handle on the top one is narrow and more rectangular than the bottom one but no notable marking on either. Any ideas as to what they might be?
44274605330_5e9d49371c.jpg

These were part of a bigger haul of mixed tools; lots of wrenches, files, wrenches, screw drivers, wrenches etc....did I mention the wrenches? You can see some of big bigger pieces in the background of this pic: Latham & Owen - Seargent hunting knife - it's pretty worn down...mostly from aggressive sharpening I think, but it still holds an edge.
43801662820_0a2d8aaa41.jpg

The middle hatchet is a Walters Black Diamond but I have no idea what the other two are; no visible markings on either. The handle on the top one is narrow and more rectangular than the bottom one but no notable marking on either. Any ideas as to what they might be?
44274605330_5e9d49371c.jpg
Nice hatchets, I have no idea on the make though so many hatchet look the same and were made sterile for hardware store labels to be added.
Probably made by one of the major manufacturers, and Kelly / True Temper did a whole awful lot of sterile contract axes.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that knife is kitchen cutlery not a hunting knife and looks like a large boning knife to me.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that knife is kitchen cutlery not a hunting knife and looks like a large boning knife to me.

Could be, of all the pics I could find online, this one matches the closest for size, number/size of pins, handle shape:
Vintage_British_English_LATHAM_OWEN_SERGEANT_Sheffield_HuntingKnife_1_1024x1024.jpg

The blade on my knife has been ground down pretty far (into the logo), if the logo is generally in the center of the blade it could have been the same?
45396434094_d090a4ee4f_z.jpg

The main difference between the two is the finger grooves on the handle in the top version (I've seen a few like this online), which mine lacks. Rehandled maybe? Different Knife? maybe?

Last edited:
Could be, of all the pics I could find online, this one matches the closest for size, number/size of pins, handle shape:
Vintage_British_English_LATHAM_OWEN_SERGEANT_Sheffield_HuntingKnife_1_1024x1024.jpg

The blade on my knife has been ground down pretty far (into the logo), if the logo is generally in the center of the blade it could have been the same?
45396434094_d090a4ee4f_z.jpg

The main difference between the two is the finger grooves on the handle in the top version (I've seen a few like this online), which mine lacks. Rehandled maybe? Different Knife? maybe?
The handle on yours appears original to me, the hunter pictured looks to have a stainless blade and resin impregnated wood handle and is probably more modern.
yours could be an older version of this knife I guess.

Back