It followed me home (Part 2)

A few things making a happier Thanksgiving that I was able to grab last night...

20181122-091313.jpg

20181122-092508.jpg

20181122-091339.jpg

20181122-092942.jpg

20181121-204859.jpg

20181122-091333.jpg

The two prizes that brought this treasure all to me...

20181121-204446.jpg

Millers Falls NO 2
ax79x3.jpg

20181122-095229.jpg

20181121-204127.jpg

NO87.jpg

Millers Falls NO 87

20181122-092514.jpg

20181122-092612.jpg

20181122-092605.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving
Holy Miller of Ratchets !!!! 52 lbs what a score!!!
Happy Thanksgiving All

Well I'm damn excited! The tip of the horn is broken off but can't beat the price... free! Ring is nice and lasts awhile but is a little bit jagged sounding if that makes any sense. And the rebound is superb.
VkCzqsu.jpg
DEMTqrG.jpg

bfWW2Yt.jpg

Wilkinson warranted. There's a word above Wilkinson but i can't make it out. Starts with the letter C i do believe.
cRE4Q4a.jpg

And i looked up the hundred weight system and according to the markings it's supposed to weigh 122# but in fact weights 134#.
aI8vhpK.jpg

HBWTLTJ.jpg

It's been well used but to me that adds to the charm. It's just me that has to be broken in. Maybe it can impart some skill from its last owners... yeah right! I hope you all had a great Turkey day!

The hundred weight system is the 1st # is how many hundredweights (112lbs), 2nd # is quarter hundredweights (28lbs) and the 3rd # is how many pounds under 28lbs.
Well that has me totally confused then! The second number is 0(which equals 28lbs, right?). So 1 0 22 would be
112 + (28-22=)6= 118#?

I was bucking up some pine trees when the mailman shows up with a package for me. "What could that be?" I open it to find this little guy poking out along with a note. It's a paper label S and N courtesy of Yankee Josh. A friend showed up about that time so I was momentarily delayed but I went to my workshop immediately afterward and cleaned, filed, whetted, and oiled it. Many thanks to the giver and rest assured, it will get a handle soon. Edited
IMG-0893.jpg
IMG-0894.jpg
IMG-0895.jpg
IMG-0896.jpg

IMG-0897.jpg

IMG-0898.jpg
IMG-0904.jpg
IMG-0906.jpg
IMG-0907.jpg
IMG-0905.jpg
I need to do an axe head packing tutorial. ;) :D

Yes, it has to be quench line related. Otherwise how can we see the line in a Plumb mono-steel axe?

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/plumb-manufacturing-thread.1066763/#post-12177851

And I have a True Temper where the line crosses the top of the head exactly in line with the curve on each side. It's surely not showing an insert or overlay.

But I question why these lines are always curved and longest at the edges. I'm wondering if the increased mass in the center of the axe bleeds heat back over the quench line, changing the structure of the metal there. This way the line becomes a function of both heat and mass. This seems likely to me.
Yes, I see similar heads all the time. Mono steel drop forged heads with color differences at the bit. I will say, it can be subtle- not as clear as on forge welded bits, and may be invisible if the head is newer or polished. But I can take a brand new Council Tool head, strip the paint, polish it and drop it into some vinegar or Evaporust. The line will be clear as day.

Well I'm damn excited! The tip of the horn is broken off but can't beat the price... free! Ring is nice and lasts awhile but is a little bit jagged sounding if that makes any sense. And the rebound is superb.
VkCzqsu.jpg
DEMTqrG.jpg

bfWW2Yt.jpg

Wilkinson warranted. There's a word above Wilkinson but i can't make it out. Starts with the letter C i do believe.
cRE4Q4a.jpg

And i looked up the hundred weight system and according to the markings it's supposed to weigh 122# but in fact weights 134#.
aI8vhpK.jpg

HBWTLTJ.jpg

It's been well used but to me that adds to the charm. It's just me that has to be broken in. Maybe it can impart some skill from its last owners... yeah right! I hope you all had a great Turkey day!

Joseph Wilkinson, Dudley England.

IMG_20181123_221738 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

A good blacksmith/welder can fix that broken horn. But he needs to be a blacksmith first and a welder second to understand what needs to be done.

It's actually newer than you might think, but I think that quality is still pretty good.
Could you expound on this, please? How old? What kind of quality? I didn't pay a bunch for it and, as always, I bought it because I liked it but it being a quality build would be really nice, too.

Could you expound on this, please? How old? What kind of quality? I didn't pay a bunch for it and, as always, I bought it because I liked it but it being a quality build would be really nice, too.

Did you find that local to you? Neat anvil!

Caulking tools, fire axes, and lots of interesting stuff. The wooden spoke shave - look useable?

Also, what are all of the circular/square deals with emblems of some sort in them?

Back