It followed me home (Part 2)

I recognize that stamp. Its a Keen Kutter.

Should be a really good axe.

in the recent Keen Kutter thread the consensus seems to be that they were made by Kelly.

your's looks maybe like a rebranded Flint Edge or similar.

Last edited:
I had been looking all over the forums trying to see if I could identify it, but I did not think to check that thread. Thanks for pointing the way.

Looking at the Keen Kutter logo, I can see the bottom edge of the E and the R at the end. Glad I grabbed it!

Picked up this smallish Jersey pattern. Looks as if the marks have been removed by whoever did the cleanup, but I can see the remnants of "Made in U.S.A." So it's got that going for it. It also seems to have a fair amount of good steel left - another plus. It comes in a little under 3.5lbs, more like 3lbs 6oz. It's cheeky and shaving sharp, so it should be a good user.
IMG-5599.jpg

IMG-5600.jpg

IMG-5603.jpg
That axe appears to have been ground really well. Looks like a very nice banana grind! That thing will chop like a demon!

I've been wanting a Jersey pattern and I liked the way this one looked even though it was a little smaller than I would have liked. I noticed the grind as well (that it looked hand filed and not machine ground was what initially caught my eye) and thought for the price it was worth a chance. Now that I have cleaned some of the rust off and was kindly shown the Keen Kutter thread, I feel like I got a great deal. It's not pristine, but it will make a fine user and it has some pedigree to boot. Now I have to find a nice haft for it. I'll look at the catalogs and see if I can figure out what sort of haft and what lengths this model might have had when new. I'd like to hang it as close to original as I can.

Nothing too incredible, just a little hatchet head my brother found kicking around where he works. What pattern is this exactly? There's so many variations of the little buggers I can't remember them all.
IMG-E1904.jpg

IMG-E1905.jpg

IMG-E1906.jpg

IMG-E1907.jpg
It's a lathing hatchet i do believe. I never did figure out exactly what it means to be an "underhill"pattern but i think that's what it is. I have once very similar and i found it called that in an old catalogue. It's a nice example!

I've been wanting a Jersey pattern and I liked the way this one looked even though it was a little smaller than I would have liked. I noticed the grind as well (that it looked hand filed and not machine ground was what initially caught my eye) and thought for the price it was worth a chance. Now that I have cleaned some of the rust off and was kindly shown the Keen Kutter thread, I feel like I got a great deal. It's not pristine, but it will make a fine user and it has some pedigree to boot. Now I have to find a nice haft for it. I'll look at the catalogs and see if I can figure out what sort of haft and what lengths this model might have had when new. I'd like to hang it as close to original as I can.
It's really nice to find them ground(filed) properly like that. Takes a long time and a lot of patience to do that by hand so it's a real bonus. And an indication that someone owned it who knew how to file it so it was probably well cared for.

I thought I'd share this one with you all. It has an inlaid bit that goes a really long way back into the cheeks. And i believe either high carbon on the spike or a heat treat. W.M.Beatty&son Chester PA. fire axe.
UbYUApR.jpg

yOv66Mc.jpg

bhw66J8.jpg

A pretty nice ol haft as well. Fairly nice grain orientation and also pretty slim. 1548387741100284250428107954078.jpgit had been sharpened on a grinding wheel i believe. It was hollow ground and slightly misshapen.
6RCdVNK.jpg

After i filed and honed it.
0nepwh5.jpg
cKXruMd.jpg

I wasn't exactly sure how fine a point to file on the spike so i just did a 45° angle and called it good. It did feel hard-ish. A little softer than the bit but not by a lot. Also it has the same color paint remnants everywhere so i wonder if that could be original paint? Anyhow thanks for looking!
geBhzDH.jpg

I came across a boys axe at a second hand store the other day that was of two piece construction forge welded just in front of the eye. I knew this because it was badly battered and coming apart. It looked for all the world like a later red painted, unstamped True Temper minus eye ridges. I went back a few days later just to get a picture to show you guys and someone had actually paid twenty bucks for it.

Picked up an Enders Oak leaf broad hatchet at a little antique store for $5.90. When I was picking it up at first I thought it was a Belknap, but I'll take an oak leaf too lol. It's in great condition, was on the original handle that had broken along grain runout.

20190125_090653-980x2016.jpg

Man that axe above the fire axe head is a beauty! The way the haft is shaped is beautiful and intriguing. It's almost straight yet it "lifts" right where the head seats. If what was left of my "fun" budget wasn't being dumped into my truck I'd be scouring the 'bay for the next few weeks.

YcCc0cj.jpg
fqlnIsK.jpg
cKeouCx.jpg
lUE3cX6.jpg
GOCZbKQ.jpg
6uVKP4g.jpg
pMdc1IF.jpg
yse6odg.jpg

Had some good luck yesterday! I’m really excited about the spokeshaves, I look forward to getting these tuned up and working.

The Kelly is in real nice shape, hard to say no for $10. I’m still on the hunt for a cruiser but in the meantime I am glad to add this 3.5lber to the mix. It would be nice to find a 30-32” handle to hang this on.

I picked this up for 3 bucks at a super sketchy, creepy ass flea market in Toledo, OH. He wanted 5, but I talked him down

Not anything in the way of a legible stamp even after some abrading, but looks to have been one at some point. The steel is hard and it's a nice shape, the haft is very pretty, good grain, and room to reuse. Haft was worth more than 3 alone.

The phantom bevel style is my best lead on guessing make, they don't look like Kelly or Plumb that I've seen.

I'll bring in the heel and it'll be a great user boys axe.
20190127_212309-980x2016.jpg 20190127_212320-980x2016.jpg 20190127_212329-980x2016.jpg

Back