It followed me home (Part 2)

The Forge is an ancient institution,crucial to the well-being of a community,and over countless centuries many funky mythical customs kind of settled over the place itself,and many of it's tools...

The hearth,the fire is held by many to be the Soul of the place,so one never spits in it,nor throws a cigarette butt,or anything of the sort.

The Anvil is considered to represent the Face of the entity,so one never Ever sits down on it...But beer i think is entirely appropriate!:)
Oh my god I thought that was going to end with you saying that I wasn’t allowed to set my beer on it! :eek: LoL
Whew, thanks for alliterating that. You really set a vibe. I’m going to cherish this even more now.
Cheers! *insert beer glass clinking emoticon here*
9-AD45121-2-FBA-4-A33-88-A7-CC47-D7-DF0605.jpg

Last edited:
Full disclosure...I picked this fella up a month or two back and have it tucked away so the labels remain. I keep rediscovering it so time to share:D

Mann manufactures as part of what Mann purchased of the Collins Co back in '66 and they formed their Collins Axe Division.

20191218-161619.jpg

20191218-161603.jpg

20191218-161559.jpg

20191218-161541.jpg

20191218-161531.jpg

20191218-161513.jpg

20191218-161519.jpg

20191218-161507.jpg

No illusions here...
The bar code and 2X4 handle blank(with straight grain)...surely dates this closer to 2003 than 1966
:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:

Rock On!:)

Oh my god I thought that was going to end with you saying that I wasn’t allowed to set my beer on it! :eek: LoL
Whew, thanks for alliterating that. You really set a vibe. I’m going to cherish this even more now.
Cheers! *insert beer glass clinking emoticon here*
9-AD45121-2-FBA-4-A33-88-A7-CC47-D7-DF0605.jpg

I can go a good while between using my shop anvil to do any forging, but I set a beer on it most days.

When a condensation rust ring starts to show, its time to hit some hot steel!

I have been on the lookout for a good broad axe for a while now and finally found one. Very happy with it. It’s a keen Kutter. I bought this for a number of reasons. Number one being to use it. Number two being the condition. It shows minimal wear and no pitting. Number three being it came from a gentleman’s antique collection in my hometown who passed away recently and had been collecting since the age of 14. His collection was made before the days of the Internet when you had to put in the work to get these items. One cool thing about this axe is you can see in the pic the little white sticker he had wrote where he got it and who he got it from. I also picked up the Shapleigh draw knife that looks like it was used very little as well. Tight handles and no pitting.
B34-CB94-B-18-E1-4-C17-9-E3-C-100927646-C76.jpg
386471-FB-8-E57-40-AD-9-ED3-453612-B066-A8.jpg
914-E9-D53-E896-490-F-A582-2-E3-CF6-B0767-F.jpg
38389218-CA2-C-4418-8-D23-9-DFAE7-ABF0-D7.jpg

E75-B1-AFC-4-A65-498-C-890-C-63-AC5-C97-CAC9.jpg

You can see what’s going on here in the wedge area. What would you guys do in a case like this. I think those are fence staples. Kind of adds character. The head was a tad loose but I smacked the end of the haft with a mallot and tightened it. Should I try to rehang this? If I remove it I’m afraid what kind of damage the staples will do. I would like to steam bend the handle also. Thoughts?
8-F18-AE06-28-DB-4-B79-8582-528995-B6771-D.jpg

I have been on the lookout for a good broad axe for a while now and finally found one. Very happy with it. It’s a keen Kutter. I bought this for a number of reasons. Number one being to use it.
In this form that axe was used for tie hacking. https://bladeforums.com/threads/cur...axes-with-long-handles.1648686/#post-18857453
I think you you should preserve this handle and make new one with removable wedge that will allow quickly swap the side of the broad axe. I assume (unless you got contract to deliver railroad ties :)) you want to use it for more precise kind of hewing. You will be better off with steam bent, much shorter handle.

Last edited:
I have been on the lookout for a good broad axe for a while now and finally found one. Very happy with it. It’s a keen Kutter. I bought this for a number of reasons. Number one being to use it. Number two being the condition. It shows minimal wear and no pitting. Number three being it came from a gentleman’s antique collection in my hometown who passed away recently and had been collecting since the age of 14. His collection was made before the days of the Internet when you had to put in the work to get these items. One cool thing about this axe is you can see in the pic the little white sticker he had wrote where he got it and who he got it from. I also picked up the Shapleigh draw knife that looks like it was used very little as well. Tight handles and no pitting.
B34-CB94-B-18-E1-4-C17-9-E3-C-100927646-C76.jpg
386471-FB-8-E57-40-AD-9-ED3-453612-B066-A8.jpg
914-E9-D53-E896-490-F-A582-2-E3-CF6-B0767-F.jpg
38389218-CA2-C-4418-8-D23-9-DFAE7-ABF0-D7.jpg

E75-B1-AFC-4-A65-498-C-890-C-63-AC5-C97-CAC9.jpg

You can see what’s going on here in the wedge area. What would you guys do in a case like this. I think those are fence staples. Kind of adds character. The head was a tad loose but I smacked the end of the haft with a mallot and tightened it. Should I try to rehang this? If I remove it I’m afraid what kind of damage the staples will do. I would like to steam bend the handle also. Thoughts?
8-F18-AE06-28-DB-4-B79-8582-528995-B6771-D.jpg
First of all; Awesome! You got it! It's a fine example and even better that you have a story to go with it. Some of my favorites are favorites for that very reason.
I agree with crbnSteeladdict. Remove and save that haft. Make yourself another and steam bend it or purchase one from link. There's are reasonably priced and much easier if you aren't set up for steaming yet. Great score man congrats!!:thumbsup::D

In this form that axe was used for tie hacking. https://bladeforums.com/threads/cur...axes-with-long-handles.1648686/#post-18857453
I think you you should preserve this handle and make new one with removable wedge that will allow quickly swap the side of the broad axe. I assume (unless you got contract to deliver railroad ties :)) you want to use it for more precise kind of hewing. You will be better of with steam bent, much shorter handle.
That’s a good idea. I don’t have a contract for hewing ties thankfully. Although the collectors grandson is the one who sold me this axe I found it interesting he told me his great grandfather was a tie hack making $1 per tie.

First of all; Awesome! You got it! It's a fine example and even better that you have a story to go with it. Some of my favorites are favorites for that very reason.
I agree with crbnSteeladdict. Remove and save that haft. Make yourself another and steam bend it or purchase one from link. There's are reasonably priced and much easier if you aren't set up for steaming yet. Great score man congrats!!:thumbsup::D
Thanks man. This is actually a different axe than the one i talked to you about but it is out of the same collection. I went back today to get that one but I ended up finding this one hidden by itself. It was actually in better condition and I got it for less money than the other because it didn’t have the wedge etching.

I don't know how much success you'd have in altering by steam bending an old handle. Better to make use as is if you say you've tightened it. Use it and see if it holds on well enough. The handle as is, along with the customized grind - toe having been brought back some as it appears - are intended to work like that in combination with whatever specific technique the one who had it used. With the set-up as is you have the opportunity to figure out why it is that way. This can be an instructive way to begin learning, taking the vicarious lessons provided by the one who was really clued in rather than the vicarious lessons off internet and forums such as ours here. Of course if you have developed your own technique, by all means adjust things to your preference, but then you don't need me telling it at all. Then again, carbonsteel has his points, very valid ones too, these N. American axes being not so familiar to me. But my ramblings are not dependent on specific circumstances regardless, more the general principle of not fucking around to much with a well used tool.

Last edited:
I hope you have access to steel toe logger boots with studs. Learning curve of Tie Hacking seems pretty steep.
I will not be tie hacking rather just hewing a log for the experience. You mentioned that I should put a much shorter handle in it for more precise hewing. I plan to try it as is to get the feel for it as the handle is only 24” currently and I am 6’3”. I’m not sure I need it any shorter.

Picked up a Sargent 1409. Not fancy but it looks rarely used and the price was right. I'll see if it'll hold a tune and maybe it will be a user or maybe it will be a decorative gift. Also picked up a big old helical fluted taper reamer for 5 bucks, what a pretty implement. I think it's 2.5" but need to measure it.

Well I played around with it today and quickly found out for the purpose I intend to use this broad axe for I am going to need to have a different handle. The length is good for me but I need an offset. I removed the handle this evening. There was no kerf or wedge in it. Jut the staples which pulled out easily. I have read other threads about the removable wedges I like really like the idea of a reversible handle. I’m always open to suggestions from you guys. Here’s some pics of the handle removed.
ECAD4-B0-B-07-BB-42-DE-88-A1-41-BC12-A62-BFA.jpg
EF572466-6425-4471-BAB3-00-A2738-DF5-A6.jpg
FF19-E8-E4-EFBC-4-F65-B057-6-C6-B1-CA5-BF6-E.jpg
And here is a pic of the man that owned this axe on the far right. To his left is his father and the two on the right are his brothers. It’s pretty awesome to have this kind of history come along with the piece.
AC93-FA2-F-EC88-42-F7-B602-2-E12486-DBD06.png

Well I played around with it today and quickly found out for the purpose I intend to use this broad axe for I am going to need to have a different handle. The length is good for me but I need an offset. I removed the handle this evening. There was no kerf or wedge in it. Jut the staples which pulled out easily. I have read other threads about the removable wedges I like really like the idea of a reversible handle. I’m always open to suggestions from you guys. Here’s some pics of the handle removed.
And here is a pic of the man that owned this axe on the far right. To his left is his father and the two on the right are his brothers. It’s pretty awesome to have this kind of history come along with the piece.
Larrikin Axe makes some of the coolest wedges...

ou4ZOvv.jpg

2NI7gdP.jpg

dlRde1u.jpg

HKr89RP.jpg

CnORegF.jpg

That handle looks like oak.

Back