It followed me home (Part 2)

Not sure on the grind. I just thought I would work with what was there. I am open to any suggestions you may have though? And no, no longer in the country. In town for now.
Well a full banana grind goes back 3 inches from the bit in a fan shape. And a half banana obviously about half that. I've only done a full on a couple axes and found that it doesn't really improve results. Probably because I'm never racing just falling and bucking. So perhaps a half banana grind for your axe? Something like this would look and work really good on it;
1578058118294196572405002944358.jpg
Just remember to leave the very edge a little thick when filing and lastly roll off about the last 1/8" to keep the convex shape. It'll stay good and strong that way and you can get it very, very keen while maintaining that strength. And leave some extra thickness at the heel and toe. You may know this stuff already!
It does take a long time filing but it's worth it. You'll be able to chop with the best of 'em!

Well a full banana grind goes back 3 inches from the bit in a fan shape. And a half banana obviously about half that. I've only done a full on a couple axes and found that it doesn't really improve results. Probably because I'm never racing just falling and bucking. So perhaps a half banana grind for your axe? Something like this would look and work really good on it;
View attachment 1258475
Just remember to leave the very edge a little thick when filing and lastly roll off about the last 1/8" to keep the convex shape. It'll stay good and strong that way and you can get it very, very keen while maintaining that strength. And leave some extra thickness at the heel and toe. You may know this stuff already!
It does take a long time filing but it's worth it. You'll be able to chop with the best of 'em!
Copy that, thank you!

Josh, yes a long time to file it that way. The little emblem, on the bottom, it looks to be a flower or a crown.? Was that uses for some time on Collins axes? A good job. DM
Yes for sure! That's the legitimus crown!
Here's a close up of that Connecticut pattern stamp;
15780660794863519112271353842946.jpg
And here's an example of one of their later stamps; 15780661096003329184486517925053.jpg
And here's an old one;
15780662319105856482822395133616.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, thank you.
There is a Collins ax offered for sale at Ace, a Jersey pattern. With plenty of metal around the eye, a 3 1/2 lb ax.. Do you think the pole is heat treated? DM

Ok, thank you.
There is a Collins ax offered for sale at Ace, a Jersey pattern. With plenty of metal around the eye, a 3 1/2 lb ax.. Do you think the pole is heat treated? DM
Probably the safest bet is to watch fleabay for Rafting Axe. True Temper and Plumb had regular axes with hardened polls but models changed over time and you cannot be sure unless you test it with file.

I do not think it is good idea to strike anything with regular poll but........... if I had no other choice striking wooden wedge does not seem as bad as pounding a steel one.
I cannot find any info where Emory Oak stands on Janka scale. Even though it is not closely related to Quercus Virginiana it also drops leaves late, in Spring. Quercus Virginiana's Janka hardness is 2,680 lbf (12,920 N) way up in comparison to average Oak.
I was going to suggest Wooden Splitting wedges made out of Mesquite but it might be not enough (Mesquite hardness: 2345)
Than there is Desert Ironwood in neighboring Sonoran Desert (3,260 lbf (14,500 N))
3. Fire hardened Emory Oak wedge might be an option
4.Not sure it you have junkyard in your area, but steel ring, piece of Emory Oak and old, sharpened Backhoe tooth can be turned into contraption resembling in function old style socket wedge
s-l1600.jpg

antique-hand-forged-primitive-iron_1_1dfb3b06030cf1dea6c7785f8c81e935.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-hand-forged-primitive-iron-1901642675

Last edited:
These were at three different stops, over the late fall. The collins was $5, vulcan $20, with a useable old sheath, and $15 for the Sager.

All have been poorly rehandled

PJmV5FA.jpg

7Z0X8Ja.jpg

TLVYhGT.jpg
That Vulcan is nice! If you would ever trade it for something I'd love to get my grubby hands on it...:D. I've been after one for awhile. I've got quite a bit to offer in trade if you are interested...

Are Warren more likely a north west find? I have never seen one out here.

They might be more common in the NW. Warren catered to the logging industry and in the first half of the 20th century, Warren's heyday, that meant the Pacific NW.

They offered farm and home owner tools. But their focus was industry.

Back