It followed me home (Part 2)

I
These were at three different stops, over the late fall. The collins was $5, vulcan $20, with a useable old sheath, and $15 for the Sager.

All have been poorly rehandled

PJmV5FA.jpg

7Z0X8Ja.jpg

TLVYhGT.jpg
I agree that Vulcan is badass. All three are great. Great score. Looking forward to seeing them cleaned up.

Picked up a couple axes from an antique store today.

First one I bought for the handle. The head seems totally fine, but I'm not sure I need it. I'll probably sell it. Its a nice old michigan with a high centerline. Either it didn't have a name stamp, or it was filed off, as there is a little filing near the poll even though the poll has very little damage to it. anyways, it got it for about the cost of a new handle - but the handle is SOOO sweet. 30", very thin and a nice shape with a perfect fawns foot swell. I'll probably put my Keen Kutter Jersey (= Kelly Perfect) on it.

Second is pretty neat. Its an older collins homestead double bit axe with an adirondack handle. The head has a nice shape, not overly worn, high centerline, looks like a nice head. The handle is very slim and is a true adirondack handle with a full double bit eye/shoulder. I think I'll sell this one as I already have one adirondack axe, but I just couldn't pass it up.

Picked up a couple axes from an antique store today.

First one I bought for the handle. The head seems totally fine, but I'm not sure I need it. I'll probably sell it. Its a nice old michigan with a high centerline. Either it didn't have a name stamp, or it was filed off, as there is a little filing near the poll even though the poll has very little damage to it. anyways, it got it for about the cost of a new handle - but the handle is SOOO sweet. 30", very thin and a nice shape with a perfect fawns foot swell. I'll probably put my Keen Kutter Jersey (= Kelly Perfect) on it.

Second is pretty neat. Its an older collins homestead double bit axe with an adirondack handle. The head has a nice shape, not overly worn, high centerline, looks like a nice head. The handle is very slim and is a true adirondack handle with a full double bit eye/shoulder. I think I'll sell this one as I already have one adirondack axe, but I just couldn't pass it up.

Hey man nice finds! I'm interested in the Adirondack for sure!!
Edit; sent you an email. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
This rusty treasure arrived today! Hopefully I can give it some much needed tlc.
71160-E56-AFBF-4-F4-B-BC68-106386383-B95.jpg

WOW! VERY cool axe head!!! It looks huge, what are the dimensions and weight?

A HOOSIER! Awesome man congrats! I know you've been after one for awhile.
They are exceedingly rare from what I can tell. I hardly ever see any. Does anyone else notice this drought of Hoosiers?[/QUOTE

Yeah, you don't see many, that's for sure.
I have this Walters head I got about a year ago. I thought it most resembled the hoosier pattern - though less extreme than ITVD's example. Like a subtle hoosier or a hoosier/connecticut. Walters also made what they called the montreal pattern, but I have one of those also and its a little different yet.

It is 5" across the bit, but less than 3" across the poll, weight is ~3 1/4 lbs
whereas my Flint edge connecticut pattern is 5" across the bit, but more than 3.25" across the poll

This rusty treasure arrived today! Hopefully I can give it some much needed tlc.
71160-E56-AFBF-4-F4-B-BC68-106386383-B95.jpg

Just thinking. The hoosier pattern seems to be fairly uncommon - kind of like the (true) Rockaway pattern (and not the fake Plumb rockaway).
also, the vast majority of images that I could find of axes identified as the hoosier pattern were in Belknap Bluegrass adds - and they look pretty much identical to the one you got. Found lots of Belknap hardware ads from years from 1922 - 1937 which all show the Bluegrass Hoosier pattern (on actual axes for sale - not just a pattern chart). Sure you see the hoosier identified in lots of axe pattern charts published by various companies and sources, but I didn't see any other manufacturers actually listing hoosier pattern axes for sale in their catalogs. I'm wondering if the hoosier pattern was a (can't think of good descriptive words right now) something like a specialty of, or more associated with the bluegrass axe brand - or something like that. Kind of like (but not exactly) McKinnon and the rockaway pattern (though not exactly since Kelly made lots of rockaway axes - though I'd bet that Kelly also made a hoosier to two over the years).

just thoughts and conjecture, but I guess that's part of it. fun to think about

WOW! VERY cool axe head!!! It looks huge, what are the dimensions and weight?

Yeah, you don't see many, that's for sure.
I have this Walters head I got about a year ago. I thought it most resembled the hoosier pattern - though less extreme than ITVD's example. Like a subtle hoosier or a hoosier/connecticut. Walters also made what they called the montreal pattern, but I have one of those also and its a little different yet.

It is 5" across the bit, but less than 3" across the poll, weight is ~3 1/4 lbs
whereas my Flint edge connecticut pattern is 5" across the bit, but more than 3.25" across the poll
Yeah, I have a Garant that looks like that but it’s a Canadian pattern.

My Hoosier is about 3.25” across the poll and 1.25” wide at the poll.(same as YJ’s) 7” long and about 5.5” across what’s left of the bit. (With the toe, heel and full bit it might have floated out to nearly 7” across the bit.) it’s only 3lb 10oz

You might be on to something about Bluegrass being one of if not the major manufacture of them. (Mine did come from Kentucky.)
Here is FreeBeee’s Bluegrass.
6-CA22-DE6-3-B65-4574-8681-C1-DF05143221.jpg

F31-C6782-8981-4315-9830-2-D0-D5-DDE573-D.jpg

4-D0-C7-D3-F-BA24-4710-9-E3-C-DBC9-CBE9750-D.jpg

F976-E2-EE-1-A0-D-441-F-8488-183-D833-C593-A.jpg

I know Snow and Neally offered one at one point. 20200108_110954.jpg
I've tried to buy that one. It's not for sale or trade unfortunately. I can't prove it as mine has no markings of any kind but I think mine is most likely an S&N as well. I'll post up pictures of mine after work. I know Kelly made one at one point too!

Yeah, I have a Garant that looks like that but it’s a Canadian pattern.

This Walters catalog refers to the canadian pattern also as the tomahawk pattern, but looks like what I've seen usually seen referred to as the montreal pattern. See how this pattern has a distinct stop and a step between the bottom of the eye and the beard/belly - whereas the other type is just a smooth continuous curve towards the bit. and also on the montreal/canadian/tomahawk pattern, there is a straight line from the bottom of the eye to the bottom tip of the bit, where with the pulpwood, it is a curve

and I have one of those -

their catalog also shows a pulpwood pattern that looks more like the other walters I have that I thought looked like a hoosier

Post a picture of your Garant axe head. I'd like to see it.

This Walters catalog refers to the canadian pattern also as the tomahawk pattern, but looks like what I've seen usually seen referred to as the montreal pattern. See how this pattern has a distinct stop and a step between the bottom of the eye and the beard/belly - whereas the other type is just a smooth continuous curve towards the bit. and also on the montreal/canadian/tomahawk pattern, there is a straight line from the bottom of the eye to the bottom tip of the bit, where with the pulpwood, it is a curve

and I have one of those -

their catalog also shows a pulpwood pattern that looks more like the other walters I have that I thought looked like a hoosier

Post a picture of your Garant axe head. I'd like to see it.
Thanks for those resources!
Here is the best I can do right now. Can’t be sure it’s a Garant but the paint and tattered label makes me think it is.
6-C2-AFAD7-11-C7-4-AD0-967-D-916-F0956708-B.jpg

I think the prerequisite for being a Hoosier is the identical sweeps top and bottom. They are always very pronounced and equal in the Hoosiers I've seen. They look most like a racing axe to me.
Mine measures 7"L x 6-5/8" bit.
Here's what it looks like.
20200108_180201.jpg

20200108_180144.jpg

20190411_181106.jpg

I recently saw an incredible job on restoring an axe. I think I can do something similar with this one. Hoosiers are damn cool!

Last edited:
Back