It's FINALLY HAPPENING! Buckmaster 2.0 Combat Diver!

I just got an e-mail from Buck for their upcoming knives and included in their 2024 Legacy Collection was the Buck 084, aka the Buckmaster 2.0 Combat Diver! I honestly had given up hope on it ever being released to the public, written it off as vaporware because it has been 4 years since it was first announced.

It's not as cool as the original Buck 184, 185LT, or even 639 Fieldmate, but it's nice to see a new Buckmaster anyway, and I'll happily order one as soon as they're available, as long as they're not astronomically priced, that is. It's only 420HC, so there's really no reason for it to be expensive.

BladeHQ already has a listing up for it, but their list price is $799.99, which I can only hope is a placeholder price because, yeah... No way am I paying $800 for it.

Last edited:
I just got an e-mail from Buck for their upcoming knives and included in their 2024 Legacy Collection was the Buck 084, aka the Buckmaster 2.0 Combat Diver! I honestly had given up hope on it ever being released to the public, written it off as vaporware because it has been 4 years since it was first announced.

It's not as cool as the original Buck 184, 185LT, or even 639 Fieldmate, but it's nice to see a new Buckmaster anyway, and I'll happily order one as soon as they're available, as long as they're not astronomically priced, that is. It's only 420HC, so there's really no reason for it to be expensive.

BladeHQ already has a listing up for it, but their list price is $799.99, which I can only hope is a placeholder price because, yeah... No way am I paying $800 for it.
Me thinks that since it's listed under the 2024 Legacy knives collection... I bet it isn't going to be inexpensive. My guess is based on how much of a premium that has been placed on the price of previous Legacy knives.

In the Blade HQ video linked in this thread CJ said 1000 made and MSRP of $900. He expects them to sell out fast.

O.B.

Been watching some recent youtube videos on the newer buck knives and it definitely seems like they aim certain releases towards collectors and price them accordingly.

Definitely a really neat knife.

And when the Legacy knives don't sell as hoped, they languish on retailers sites for another year.

Or Buck takes parts and makes another knife that is even more limited and is less money.
Look at the 842 Black g-10 Sprint. It's less money than the green micarta knife they've been selling for the last year. It's essentially the same knife.
The "Limited" price point is getting ridiculous in my opinion.

I'm hoping for an affordable S35v Vanguard Pro.
šŸ˜

I'm sure there's engineering and tooling to pay for, with a relatively small release. A bit much for me, though.

In the Blade HQ video linked in this thread CJ said 1000 made and MSRP of $900. He expects them to sell out fast.

O.B.

That is interesting (limited production) as in recent years the Legacy Collection knives have been limited to sale to the year produced, but not limited in the amount produced for that year. Originally, the Legacy Collection knives were limited to a specific number produced, I wonder if Buck is going back to this.

I hope the 2024 Legacy Collection knives are limited to a specific number produced, including a COA with production information on the COA.

There's no way that production costs are anywhere near high enough to justify a $900 price tag, not with a 420HC blade with G10 scales.

Besides, if they offered it at a more affordable price as a new production knife that wasn't limited edition, then they'd stand to turn a larger profit over time, especially if they marketed it towards the tactical knife crowd as the heir apparent to the Ontario MK3.

Oh well, it'll be interesting to see if they actually do manage to sell out at that price, because limited or not, $900 can buy you a much nicer knife made out of much nicer materials.

"double-edged for the military, not for the consumer"

Why not offer the double-edge knife to the consumer if the consumer wants it?
I have firearms in my safe right now that are 100x better and more reliable than the worn-out rattle-traps that Uncle Sam issued me and I carried through Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
Hell, I still have the Benchmade double-edged Infidel OTF knife I carried in Iraq and Afghanistan. Am I supposed to no longer have it since I'm a civilian now?

That whole "special things only for the military" mentality has always irked me, especially when it comes to knives and small arms.
That's a really big mark against Buck for me now.

There's no way that production costs are anywhere near high enough to justify a $900 price tag, not with a 420HC blade with G10 scales.

Besides, if they offered it at a more affordable price as a new production knife that wasn't limited edition, then they'd stand to turn a larger profit over time, especially if they marketed it towards the tactical knife crowd as the heir apparent to the Ontario MK3.

Oh well, it'll be interesting to see if they actually do manage to sell out at that price, because limited or not, $900 can buy you a much nicer knife made out of much nicer materials.
think it's likley due to them only making a small number of them and once gone no more.....

I have firearms in my safe right now that are 100x better and more reliable than the worn-out rattle-traps that Uncle Sam issued me and I carried through Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan.
Hell, I still have the Benchmade double-edged Infidel OTF knife I carried in Iraq and Afghanistan. Am I supposed to no longer have it since I'm a civilian now?

That whole "special things only for the military" mentality has always irked me, especially when it comes to knives and small arms.
I dont understand it either, maybe more of a bunch of laws in different states thing than a civilians can't have attitude, but who knows.......

truth be told I'd prefer it in a single edge. double edge knives are very limited in their use, besides being a weapon......

Chalk it up to state knife laws... various states have banned double-edged knives, classifying them as a "dagger". I'm sure Buck did not want the pain or responsibility of needing to check the legality of the buyer's state of residency to order one, and decided to simplify things by just selling them with a single edge sharpened.

You ask, "Am I supposed to no longer have it since I'm a civilian now?" That depends on your state's knife law(s). Just like firearms... my son-in-law served in the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division... he's retired military and lives in a state where he can not buy so-called assault weapons.

I think it would have been better to just name it the ā€œCombat Diverā€ rather than Buckmaster 2.0. Anybody remember when Ford brought out the Mustang II? Once you deviate too far from the original (no clip point bowie blade or screw-cap hollow handle), I am not sure you still have a Buckmaster.

"Chalk it up to state knife laws..."

LOL! Buck sells *automatics* to civilians which are way more "regulated" than double-edged knives.
Do you honestly believe that Buck Knives, a company that sells automatic knives online and ships them directly to the American populace doesn't know the knife laws of every state in America?
Double-edged daggers are only prohibited from being possessed in - surprise! - California. They're legal in the other 49 states.

"Chalk it up to state knife laws..."

LOL! Buck sells *automatics* to civilians which are way more "regulated" than double-edged knives.
Do you honestly believe that Buck Knives, a company that sells automatic knives online and ships them directly to the American populace doesn't know the knife laws of every state in America?
Double-edged daggers are only prohibited from being possessed in - surprise! - California. They're legal in the other 49 states.
I dont think that's true. California knife laws are confusing to say the least. that aside..... almost any fixed blade could be defined as a dagger, but you can own a dagger and carry it openly. no concealing is allowed.

many states are worse. I know in mass it's illegal to carry on you or even in a vehicle a double-edged knife. even a false edge.

who knows why Buck has made that decision. doesn't matter as they have....

Last edited:
I dont think that's true. California knife laws are confusing to say the least. that aside..... almost any fixed blade could be defined as a dagger, but you can own a dagger and carry it openly. no concealing is allowed.

many states are worse. I know in mass it's illegal to carry on you or even in a vehicle a double-edged knife. even a false edge.

who knows why Buck has made that decision. doesn't matter as they have....
Yes in MA it is a nono

I think it would have been better to just name it the ā€œCombat Diverā€ rather than Buckmaster 2.0. Anybody remember when Ford brought out the Mustang II? Once you deviate too far from the original (no clip point bowie blade or screw-cap hollow handle), I am not sure you still have a Buckmaster.

I agree, it would be one thing if they were renewing the brand name with a new line of Buckmaster knives, (as I originally presumed they were) but this is just one Limited Edition knife, with absolutely nothing in common with the originals.

I'm aware this was invisioned as a sort of spiritual successor to the Buckmaster, but it strayed too far from the design, and therefore would have been better marketed as simply the "Buck 084 Combat Diver" with the only nods to the Buckmaster being a passing mention that it was designed for the same purpose in the description.

Double-edged daggers are only prohibited from being possessed in - surprise! - California.
This is incorrect. It is legal to both own and carry double edged blades in California. It is illegal to carry one (or any fixed blade knife for that matter) concealed on one's person, and even then it has to be readily accessable before the law is violated. For example, if the knife or dagger is concealed inside a backpack that is being worn on one's back, it would likely be legal unless the arresting officer could articulate how the knife was, in fact, readily accessable. However, wearing any fixed blade knife in California will likely garner unwanted attention from people and law enforcement unless you are in a rural area.

People get confused when they see the language in the law stating "dagger" or "dirk." What they don't realize is the legal definition in California applies to anything that can readily be used as a stabbing implement. So for purposes of the law, someone carrying a scredriver, ice pick, or kitchen knife concealed can be charged with possession of a dagger or dirk.

Back