I've gone steel crazy

Shipment came in last night!
Z-A11
Z-Wear
Vanax, a double!!!

And I need to order more 0.080 vanax for another thin slicer. Full convex! Seems like I'm not the only one with a steel problem! HahaScreenshot_20190131-065336_Gallery.jpg

I'm excited to see Vanax become a more commonly used steel in knives, it seems to have potential to be a really unique alloy, the other nitrogen steels like LC200N have a small quantity of nitrides/carbonitrides and are good but not dynamic performers. I personally was not very impressed by LC200N's wear resistance and tendency to scratch easily, it didn't really offer anything that BD1 couldn't in normal use. Vanax takes the nitrogen steel concept to a new level, it has large volumes of vanadium nitrides thanks to somethign like 3% V and 1.5%.

The downside is that Vanax is super expensive, I believe as much or more than Maxamet even, and in turn the knives using it are rare and expensive themselves.

I'm excited to see Vanax become a more commonly used steel in knives, it seems to have potential to be a really unique alloy, the other nitrogen steels like LC200N have a small quantity of nitrides/carbonitrides and are good but not dynamic performers. I personally was not very impressed by LC200N's wear resistance and tendency to scratch easily, it didn't really offer anything that BD1 couldn't in normal use. Vanax takes the nitrogen steel concept to a new level, it has large volumes of vanadium nitrides thanks to somethign like 3% V and 1.5%.

The downside is that Vanax is super expensive, I believe as much or more than Maxamet even, and in turn the knives using it are rare and expensive themselves.
It is more expensive than maxamet.
So it definitely pushed the price up considerably. It's pretty nice to work with though.

Yep. I'm definitely an addict.
Last order of steel that I needed.
If you look close......I might even have enough steel to make my own fixed blade in Vanax!
(Cue evil laughter)
Also the knives in Z-A11 are available. Full custom, or my design choice. But you will be at the mercy of my time. Which means I have literally no idea when I'll get to them.Screenshot_20190208-072544_Chrome.jpg

Back