JAB Potbelly, MoosezView

Moosez45

Custom Antlers, Factory Knives...
Ok, ya'll convinced me to get outta the recliner, and do something.:grumpy: :D

The Johnson Adventure Blades Potbelly. I have been interested in it, since I saw it, and after handling it so much at the Blade Show, I got one. Here we go.

First off, I wanna talk about the designer, Steve Johnson. I've watched reviews, and read some articles from and about him, but until Blade, I never met him. Wish I had done that alot sooner. He's one of the coolest, most down to earth, honest guys I've met. A real #1 Top Shelf Guy. Plus, his blades don't suck either. Steve worked for Hornady for 13yrs and knows EVERYONE in the gun industry, and is well on his way to knowing EVERYONE in the knife industry. Can't do that and be anything but a great guy. Enough of that, if he reads this, he'll be calling and getting a restraining order against me. :D

THE KNIFE!!!!

The Potbelly is a 1095CV, 1/4" thick, hollow ground, JAB handled beast. Its kinda heavy, but there's a reason, its tough as hell. In the box, you get this,

100_2387.jpg

Potbelly, Piggyback, sheath, and some Adventure Cord.

100_2388.jpg

Now, I'm a fan of paracord, ya'll know this, so, the Adventure cord was just some cordage, not para by no means, in a pinch, it will work. The Piggyback is an imported small fixed blade, I'll review it later, it never made it outta the sheath except to photograph, I wanted the big fella'.

100_2390.jpg

100_2392.jpg

See? 1/4" full. Now, the grip has been called into question, I kinda like it. It offers 3 different grips, High (carving), Mid (general cutting), and Low (chopping). The texture is similar to rayskin or pigskin (football), and the handles are GRN. They do get a little slick when you sweat, but your hand isn't going to come off. A ranger band might be in its future, not sure yet.

100_2393.jpg

Now, to WORK!!!! The victim, some random dead tree in my yard, a Rose of Sharon? maybe? Anyway, I call it the tree that will get its ass kicked by Potbelly.

100_2394.jpg

I never chop with a big knife without a lanyard, I'm crazy, not stupid. I've been asked about my lanyard "style", so, here is as good a time as any.

Start with the edge to the left (lefties, reverse it) with the lanyard hanging down, like so.

100_2395.jpg

Now, stick your right thumb through the loop, and rotate the knife, spine first around the back of your hand, until it hangs like this,

100_2396.jpg

Now, continue to rotate the knife up, into your hand, grasp firmly, and feel that steely goodness.

100_2397.jpg

Ok, action shots of me chopping, are not gonna happen. I don't let my kids around when I chop with knives, and my wife and her friend were busy manbashing. If ya'll wanna see a fat man chop with big knives, I'll make a vid and sell the link. The damage, half way through.

100_2398.jpg

100_2399.jpg

100_2400.jpg

Now, all the way through.

100_2401.jpg

The limb, or at least the stump. I'm gonna see what all properties this wood has, before I completely take the whole tree down. Never know.

100_2403.jpg

TO THE BUSHCRAFT BENCH!!!! Better known as my picnic table. :D

The backwood for beating, one of the branches from the Rose of Sharon, now, I needs me a knife.

100_2404.jpg

The Potbelly's hollow grind, and thick spine, take to the club quite well, one strike and I was through about a 1" thick piece. Oh, look, 2 1" thick pieces. :D

100_2405.jpg

Another smart lick to the spine with my club, and now, we are talkin'.

100_2406.jpg

A little baton, plank making action.

100_2407.jpg

Knif Pron

100_2408.jpg

SO, for those that don't know me very well, one of my favorite things to do, to test a knife, is to do just what you saw here, with the end results being,

100_2409.jpg

Yeah, a bowdrill kit. I love making these things, and playing around with them. Friction fire is very fascinating, and very, um, er, troublesome sometimes. But, it fun to practice, and it makes me sleep good at night. Not because I have a good skill, but it wears my ass out. :D

The burn in. The Rose of Sharon done quite well for a BD kit, and I will be experimenting more, as I have a boat load of it, and it must be in the willow family of plants, it feels and cuts nearly the same.

100_2410.jpg

I failed, but at only 3 attempts and 3 coals, I call that a mild success. The wood gave off these big flakes, looked like coarse cut tobacco, but they will light. I got tired, and hot, and the little one was very interested in my efforts. I got 3 comments while I was going at this kit, 1. Daddy, will you show me how to do that? 2. Daddy, when I get a knife like my sister, you can teach me how to do that. 3. Daddy, you're sweating.

Sierra, and my Rose of Sharon/Potbelly kit, burnt out, and given up on, for the evening.:D

100_2411.jpg

Final Thoughts on the Potbelly

Its a beast of a knife, but managable. The weight makes it a good chopper, the grind makes it a good cutter. My grind was a little off, but I'm not one to care much about that. The handle works well, for all 3 grips, the sheath is fantastic, well made, and you get some goodies to go along with it. Not much more can be said, its a helluva deal. If you have been toying with the idea of getting one, go ahead, you'll like it.

Moose

it's a good knife. probably makes a good thrower. true 1/4 inch thick. unique, and good.

get some.

I like the profile of the knife! Nice review Moose. You need some rest from blade show, my friend. Saw you had good time there. Wish I were there.

Last edited:
Forget the rest, time to get the baconmaker get you a big ole hog and give us a review on that too! J/K Great review!

Forget the rest, time to get the baconmaker get you a big ole hog and give us a review on that too! J/K Great review!

I'm workin' on it. More than you know. :D

Moose

But Moose, from the pics we see of you, you are always sweating. :D

Good review bro. Keep up the good work. And teach that girl how to make a bow drill!

Thanks for the review bro. When I eventually want a short chopper, this will be one I look at.

But Moose, from the pics we see of you, you are always sweating. :D

Good review bro. Keep up the good work. And teach that girl how to make a bow drill!

Side effect of being a fatass. I'm workin' on it, more so now that things are starting to........ whoops, almost let the cat outta the bag. WHAP!!! Git back in thar', kitteh!!!!

Moose

Boys, I have to say, this is my all time favorite knife from Kabar so far. I've NEVER had a 7" knife that will chop like this does. I have a BSA hatchet that I've convexed to a hair popping, newspaper slicing edge, and there's no contest. The Potbelly absolutely KICKED ITS ASS chopping through some seasoned, pressure treated 1x6 boards I had laying around.

You can choke up for precise work, or grip to the rear for awesome chopping power.

I can do fuzz sticks with it almost as well as my Mora Clipper. It push cuts newspaper better than most any other knife I have.

It slices! It dices! It chops! What else do you need?

They nailed every single aspect of the design of this knife, IMO. Blade geometry is great for a 1/4" thickness. I would carry it without hesitation any where, at any time.

The sheath is HUGE. No getting around that. If you like keeping a basic kit with your blade, it's perfect.

I'm going to end up with a custom leather sheath, one way or another. Either something I do myself, or I'll send it to someone to have one done. Something more compact, probably an angled cross draw, since I wear most of my blades like that anyway.

Hey Moose, since you have one for a template now......:D

I have the Baconmaker too. Wicked, wicked, blade. Working on getting the money AND the gonads to put it to use. :eek:

I have the Baconmaker too. Wicked, wicked, blade. Working on getting the money AND the gonads to put it to use. :eek:

Now, that is one stabby blade. I handled it quite a bit too, bet I'll wind up with one before the summers over.

I'm not a fan of recurves though, but it looks good.

Moose

Nice review brother. Sweet looking blade.

Nice review Moose, some nice wood scales would be sweet for that blade.....

So you like that bumpy texture on the handle then?

They worked for me, I never lost control of the knife. Gloves or no gloves. The handles did loosen up on me though. Started "clacking", just tightened them down is all it took.

Moose

Great, in depth, interesting review. Cute kid; I'm assuming Mrs. Moose deserves most of the credit for that (much like my own rugrats). That knife has a REALLY COOL shape. Kinda nessmuck-y. Also learned a useful lanyard technique. Good read.

How is the sheath? It doesn't look that great from my standpoint.

Better than I thought, honestly. Thicker. Stitching looks stronger. Time will tell, I just got it 3 days ago. The pocket is huge. You can't fit a full size bottle in it, but something like a small Gatorade bottle.

As far the Piggyback sheath, the flap buttons through the handle of the knife, and you have to pull away from the button to unsheath it. Those PB's take a RAZOR sharp edge, the blade is thin, hollow grind, as well.

The fabric is heavier, but the Adventure Cord is delicate, and not for the heavy use. It spun under my BD tip once, and was shot. Would have frayed and snapped. That was my third attempt, so, I called it a night.

The Molle placements are good for vertical and horizonal carry.

Moose

Moose, thanks for taking the time for the review. This knife seems to fit between a "cutter" and those "zombie" blades. Not to heavy, not overly large, but just the size for some campouts and "honey do" chores on the week-ends . . . :)
I've seen your pictures all over, but have never met or seen a picture of your wife, but I am betting a dollar to a doughnut your daughter takes after your wife in the family gene look's department . . . .:D
(just kidding bro, cute kid, good on you for her having an interest in the outdoors, good dad type of stuff . . . :thumbup:).
Be safe.

Back