James Knives or The James Brand

I like most of the designs of this brand, but something about James Brand seems off. The way they market maybe, can't quite put my finger on it, almost as if behind all the advertising and bravado you are essentially getting an expensive overseas produced knife, and at the prices they charge, an informed buyer can probably choose among better options in the same "category" of knives.

I get the same feeling about Burnside Knives as well, if anyone has heard of them. I tend to think of them as the "instagram" knife companies, since the advertising seems to rely heavily on social media presence, as well as advertising in non-knife related media - where again the uninformed buyer would be more likely to purchase said knives.

Im not really familiar with the knives, they may be the bees knees for all I know but, yes, they do come across as 'boutique' knives.

Okay designs, okay materials, feedback seems that they make a decent knife, but they are pretty overpriced for what you get. Price would be okay if they were US made, but most if not all of their designs are foreign made, and they definitely aren't pumping out products head and shoulders over Kizer.

I had a Folsom from James and it was a reasonably well-made knife and a nice design. It's one of the least expensive of their products, but I still think that it was a bit over priced for an overseas knife, but I'm a cheap a$$.

They are a brand for non knife people who think these are the shizzle and the best you can get for the price. I can see they have an audience but they are not for me.

The James Brand was created in Portland, Oregon in 2012 by a group of designers and adventurers who were looking for something better. Based on the adage that if you can’t find what you want, you might have to make it yourself, we decided to put pen to paper and design something new: knives made with premium materials, a minimalist design aesthetic, and clear attention to the details. We make knives and tools that are a better reflection of our values and lives. Modern, minimal everyday carry is what the James brand is all about.
From the webside.

... I tend to think of them as the "instagram" knife companies, since the advertising seems to rely heavily on social media presence, as well as advertising in non-knife related media - where again the uninformed buyer would be more likely to purchase said knives.

My thoughts exactly. Same with instagram marketed watch brands, and plenty of other products. Usually interesting but poorly executed designs. I did have one of their "Chapter" knives for a hot second. It was made okay, but didn't think it was worth nearly as much as they ask.

I have seen these at least stumbled across some on BHQ but like others something about them is off putting but not sure what. I also agree that for what you get the price seems a bit steep.

Lol wasn't this the brand that had that marketing video where they were talking about how the packaging and unboxing the knife was cooler than the knife itself?
6a5.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Folsom from James and it was a reasonably well-made knife and a nice design. It's one of the least expensive of their products, but I still think that it was a bit over priced for an overseas knife, but I'm a cheap a$$.

I had a Folsom for a while as well. It was actually a nicely done knife. Slim design, decent steel, pretty light weight and good lock up. I do think as "new", it's overpriced a bit for the materials you get. Other than price, can't really say anything negative about it. The triangular thumb hole actually worked pretty well.

I don't mean to derail this thread but, what are the defining characteristics of a hipster? I had a James Brand knife and I don't think I'm so hip, or am I? I need to know.

Every time this brand is discussed, there's inevitably someone who asks this question, which really, is an insinuation that it isn't a hipster brand for non-knife people who want to add some "rugged individualism" to their carefully curated Portlandia walking around look. If you look at their marketing, check out their Facebook, or worse, check out their Instagram, it tells you all you need to know. James Brand took some absolutely ubiquitous design cues, incorporated them into their lineup, and then market them as ultimate "lifestyle" tools for hipsters. The marketing is full of dudes with carefully manicured beards and Wayfarers, among other fake "Pacific Northwest outdoorsy" imagery. Also, here's the thing, I don't actually care too much. I am not the target market for this brand, and won't ever own one. I just find the image thing a tad grating. If you like these knives, hey man, I'm glad. I mean, SOMEbody's gotta buy 'em. Right?

Well this has been interesting to read. I kinda got the same feeling that has been expressed in this thread when checking out their website. Of all their designs the Folsom seemed to be the most interesting to me. But when they were looking for knives that are "knives made with premium materials, a minimalist design aesthetic, and clear attention to the details" I guess they missed CRK among others. So I'll keep my CRK small Inkosi or small 21 in my pocket for now. Or my Shamwari. All have premium materials, minimalist design, and attention to detail....

Thanks

I don't mean to derail this thread but, what are the defining characteristics of a hipster?

Every time this brand is discussed, there's inevitably someone who asks this question, which really, is an insinuation that it isn't a hipster brand for non-knife people

I didn't mean to insinuate anything. I'm old and I really wouldn't know a hipster if I saw one. I take it that the manicured lumberjack look is part of the trend. I could use some help identifying the modern culture classes.

Back