James Knives or The James Brand

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by kilogolf65, Jul 13, 2018.

1. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    To dumb down the idea of the hipster it is generally viewed as some one who follows the trend of not following the trend. I know it is a counter explanation but that counter kind of helps setup the expectations. What is "cool" to a hipster is what they in fact view as uncool its almost like taking the so bad its good approach towards fashion and with terrible results. That is my quick and dirty summary of how I see them. It does go beyond fashion but it is most evident by means of fashion choices.

2. wickettedge

wickettedge Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Anyone know who the OEM is for the James brand?

3. sfknifeguy

sfknifeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2019
    I have to say, I like the design of the Chapter and the overall minimalist aesthetic, but as stated before, I think they're charging too much for a knife that isn't doing something that's different enough to stand out from the loads of competition in such a price range. And on another note, tip down only carry, like really, what kind of sociopath wants tip down only carry for a smaller knife like that. (I say this half jokingly) :D

4. Crimson Cloud

Crimson Cloud Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Nick Shabazz review of the James County knife. Favorite quote: "My jeans got skinnier just looking at that (web)site."

5. sfknifeguy

sfknifeguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2019
    Oh my God I swear some of the things he say has me laughing my ass off at times. What a gem of a human being!

mdrgn79 and Crimson Cloud like this.
  6. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    I actually really like the Elko. Got a titanium one and it rides in the watch pocket often.

But yeah, it’s a total hipster brand. Just is.

7. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    It's purely 100% a marketing scam. It appeared from nothing with a full-on huge advertising campaign. The product being a knife is secondary.

8. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Hipsters being hipsters. I'd avoid. I mean if you find a deal on the exchange cause they are way overpriced new... Then no qualms. But yea, no thanks.

mdrgn79 likes this.
  9. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    I see them on Google ads along with other things they're saying we should EDC. Never have looked at them because when you go to, it comes up they want you to join and give your information.

Brhowser87 likes this.
  10. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I had the chance to chat with the James Brand knife guys at the BladeHQ grand opening... back whenever that was. Honestly, I came away from the experience liking them and the brand a lot more than I thought I would. Whereas I left other tables liking the employees and the brand far less than I thought I would.

The guys at James Brand entered the knife world from the marketing side, rather than coming up through the knife side. Their experience was with snowboarding and lifestyle brands before coming together and developing The James Brand. They realize now, that there is a room to improve the quality for the price, and they are actively trying to work with some new and existing manufacturers to get better knives out there.

Knife guys like us, know where to get the absolute best quality for our dollars; we do live on bladeforums after all. But The James brand is not really targeting guys (or gals) like us, they are after more traditional mainstream marketing channels. To be honest, it's a fantastic thing. Being able to get knives into a magazine like GQ is something Spyderco or Benchmade would never be able to do, or at least never attempted. The more knife owners there are out there, the better our rights are protected, so by all means, bring the casuals into the hobby.

Most people, like us, will delve into a hobby and think, "This is good, but what's better...?" Hence, even if someone starts by buying a knife from the James Brand, it will be a matter of weeks or months before they have a bunch of Spyderco, ZT, Benchmade, Reate, CRK.. you guys get the point.

I currently don't own any knives from the James Brand because of the price to value issue for me, but I do want to see them succeed. If for no other reason, to introduce knives to new markets. If their quality improves perhaps they will entice the likes of us knife addicts, if it doesn't, let them sell to the casuals.

353, RobertK, Brhowser87 and 5 others like this.
  11. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Yep, this is on point from my perspective as well.

austonh likes this.
  12. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Now I really wouldn't invest.

13. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    The only thing that interests me is the Folsom and I will never own one. With a blade shorter than three inches, I have to pass.

I already own an overpriced knife with a blade under 3 inches. I don't need another. Especially at this price point.

14. Banter 247

Banter 247

Feb 22, 2019
    That was a well thought out, well written, and refreshing comment to read. Thank you.

353, halden.doerge and austonh like this.