Jay Fisher opinion on CPM-Magnacut

Jay Fisher wrote some interesting opinion about CPM-Magnacut on his website. I truly don't understand why such a famous maker can be so ignorant about the subject he always claimed to be an expert...

"
MagnaCut is another recent invention, claiming to be the very best steel possible for knives. The NEW steel, the be all end all answer to steel needs for knives. Okay, I've seen this hype stuff for years, and there are a lot of truly good steels, high alloy steels, and powder metal technology steels that come and go. I still remember 440V and CPM S60V... but that's no matter. So this is another try. Only this one has very little chromium in it, making it "more stainless?" What? Don't know if I believe that, but hey, so what. It's on a comparagraph, so it's got to be true, right? Gosh, this type of generalized, non-specific advertising has gone on for decades in this field, and it really gets old. This bar is higher than that bar, this line is lower here, and the manufacturer of this steel doesn't even list an accurate cryogenic processing guide of this steels heat treatment! They claim on their own white sheet, "A freezer treatment at -10°F (-23°C) has no effect unless performed directly after the quench with no delay." What the heck are they talking about? Putting the steel in the bottom drawer of your refrigerator rightly next to your ice cream? To a professional heat treater (I am), this is ludicrous coming from the company who sells this stuff. Heck, a good cryogenic treatment might mean this steel actually could perform better than any other, but you'll never find that out from the foundry!
Why? First, they know that the guys that swallow these comparagraphs only have a food refrigerator-freezer to do their "treatment" in, and second, they don't want their steel to have too much longevity, because they'll never sell enough of it. Best to leave out the detailed cryogenic treatment information, and just come up with a deepfreeze blade that holds an edge a bit longer than the next knife...In any case, this is just one of the latest pop steels (my gosh, in my 40 year career I've seen so many) and I think I'll just wait out the next best steel that actually only requires an ice pack next to a cold beer to become fully "treated." Sigh...Just so you know, all of these steels MUST HAVE DEEP CRYOGENIC TREATMENT to reach their full potential, and I seem to be the only guy bringing that up. And Crucible steel does chart a liquid nitrogen quenching, but they don't tell you how long, or how fast or slow to get there, or how many times it needs to happen, or any other but a generalized information chart about "cold treatments." And what do you get with a cryogenic "cold treatment?" 62 Rockwell, barely file-hard. Not too encouraging; I wonder what their process is? Nobody asks a career heat treater and knifemaker, just some punks that work in the advertising department and juggle computer programs to "invent" new steel alloy sets. Had enough? Okay, I'll stop now. I'm into BR5-49 anyway, with a "Supercut" haircut."

Edit: Post removed (by me) because the thread was moved and a Gold Membership isn't allowed to make new posts in Around the Grinder, just edit the old ones. I won't participate where I can't defend myself. You can consider the removal of this post as my small protest against tyranny. :)

Good luck, Larrin, combatting the silliness.

Last edited:
That guy has had it out for Larrin every since Larrin said that he didn’t think his double bolstered , stone handled, hollow ground, overly thick kitchen knife would perform very good in the kitchen.

The guy writes lots of ridiculous stuff and claims that his 40 years making knives has taught him more than Larrin’s research.

Well, my 46 years of making knives tells me that he is full of 💩.

Hoss

Well, if you forget decorum, he's got an interesting reference though, "A freezer treatment at -10°F (-23°C) has no effect unless performed directly after the quench with no delay." is a quote from Niagara.

I remember how a recent thread went when a guy wanted to improve hardness of his knife by putting it in the freezer.

Well, if you forget decorum, he's got an interesting reference though, "A freezer treatment at -10°F (-23°C) has no effect unless performed directly after the quench with no delay." is a quote from Niagara.

I remember how a recent thread went when a guy wanted to improve hardness of his knife by putting it in the freezer.

Saddle up Hoss, we're ridin' into town...

bonanza-cast-1014x570.jpg

That guy has had it out for Larrin every since Larrin said that he didn’t think his double bolstered , stone handled, hollow ground, overly thick kitchen knife would perform very good in the kitchen.

The guy writes lots of ridiculous stuff and claims that his 40 years making knives has taught him more than Larrin’s research.

Well, my 46 years of making knives tells me that he is full of 💩.

Hoss
I'll see your 46 years and raise you 20 more (62 years making knives). I don't know what drives some folks to make posts like that.
I applaud you chaps for not letting this go south. Keep it fun and light.

To paraphrase another knifemaker who used to hang around here - "Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion!"

To paraphrase another knifemaker who used to hang around here - "Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion!"
But does that still pertain when the wrong opinion hurts others? Seems to me people believing something other than the truth and being active about it is a major problem for the USA right now.
Just an OT musing about opinions. I had a MiL (RIP) who told me once, word for word, "I don't care what the facts are. I have a right to my opinion." Changed our relationship forever, that did. So that line caught my eye, Stacy. Not arguing, I just favor the truth and abhor what people are doing promoting lies from all directions.

Sometimes statements/claims for marketing is just … marketing, but some people are impressed with techno-babble. I was looking at a commercial knife the other day that claimed “cryogenic hardening”, and an astounding Rockwell rating of … 57-58. I closed that web page pretty quickly.

But does that still pertain when the wrong opinion hurts others? Seems to me people believing something other than the truth and being active about it is a major problem for the USA right now.
Just an OT musing about opinions. I had a MiL (RIP) who told me once, word for word, "I don't care what the facts are. I have a right to my opinion." Changed our relationship forever, that did. So that line caught my eye, Stacy. Not arguing, I just favor the truth and abhor what people are doing promoting lies from all directions.
my theory is that a lot of the extra methane in the atmosphere causing global warming is caused by the huge amount of man made bullshit!

Back