Jay Fisher opinion on CPM-Magnacut

Yup, bout sums it up. You and Hoss should saddle up and ride into the sunset in shame having nothing to back up your knowledge and statements.
All Hail King Jay!!!!

Obviously, said in satire :cool: ;)

Something interesting I found is that there does not seem to be a Wikipedia page on Dr. John D. Verhoeven
I don't recall ever hearing he was a knifemaker? I guess that eliminates his work and books, too.

His statement was a "put down" statement. That's defense talk. Seems likely he's afraid of other peoples thoughts. I remember reading on KSN where his method is disproved. So the propaganda is his method of defense. He's probably reading this, too.
Hi Jay!
this whole thread is a put down statement of an individual whose not involved in this forum, and wrong and ridiculous as a lot of the stuff may be on Jay Fisher's website may be, we're all here talking about him without his involvement, and making assumptions about his thoughts and intentions.

just doesn't seem too productive to me.

this whole thread is a put down statement of an individual whose not involved in this forum, and wrong and ridiculous as a lot of the stuff may be on Jay Fisher's website may be, we're all here talking about him without his involvement, and making assumptions about his thoughts and intentions.

just doesn't seem too productive to me.
Correct. As he is on his site. 80% bad behavior, 20% useful info. He doesn't have forum for people to chip in. He's welcome here to chip in. Everything is for discussion. The badder, the better. We're all the same under God, so it's easy to read people by their words only. He has a grudge for people who make money that don't make knives yet he charges up to $8k. There are makers here that make nicer knives with cleaner grind lines for a fraction of the price. So if he wouldn't devalue other people, he wouldn't be a subject.

Yup, bout sums it up. You and Hoss should saddle up and ride into the sunset in shame having nothing to back up your knowledge and statements.
All Hail King Jay!!!!

Obviously, said in satire :cool: ;)

Something interesting I found is that there does not seem to be a Wikipedia page on Dr. John D. Verhoeven
I don't recall ever hearing he was a knifemaker? I guess that eliminates his work and books, too.
Also I have made knives. I don't regularly make them so I don't call myself a "knifemaker." Here is a review of a knife I sold many years ago (unfortunately pictures are long dead): https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/larrin-thomas-santoku-review.522586/

Wait, he is still alive? Good to know.

I just went to his website and read this

"Right now, you are reading the best singular knifemaker's website ever made on our planet. "

God bless him, you heard it everybody back to the grinders, he's got it covered.

I take Lorien's point, but can't resist one last comment.
Looking at some of the knives he has for sale such as a 440C bread knife set at 57HRC for $10k, I'm guessing that he wants to justify using an easy to polish steel, and in general doesn't benefit from an informed clientele.

I take Lorien's point, but can't resist one last comment.
Looking at some of the knives he has for sale such as a 440C bread knife set at 57HRC for $10k, I'm guessing that he wants to justify using an easy to polish steel, and in general doesn't benefit from an informed clientele.
Careful! That might be a "counterterrorism" bread knife. It adds to the cost.

There's always a difference between art and quality. Art is subjective. Quality is objective. Jay is art. Why does he disrespect makers of quality and scientists is beyond me (kidding, I know :D).

70+ individual marks indexed and hand filed with 3 different types of file to get the pattern I wanted. Quite a tedious effort. I've only gotten stupider since...

well, I only have two things left to say about this thread.
The first is that it's the kind of thread- in my opinion- which limits the potential of this subforum to attract valuable contributors.
The second is just a quotation by Eleanor Roosevelt, which comes to my mind constantly these days- "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people"

DeadboxHero DeadboxHero - I respect every professional knife maker who has been able to create a career in this extremely demanding craft, whether I like / know them personally or not.

well, I only have two things left to say about this thread.
The first is that it's the kind of thread- in my opinion- which limits the potential of this subforum to attract valuable contributors.
The second is just a quotation by Eleanor Roosevelt, which comes to my mind constantly these days- "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people"
You are correct. But there is a difference between action and reaction. This thread is no danger to anyone. Just opinions. For example, you judge here. In the end, you're normal, too.

I was planning on moving this thread to Around the Grinder anyway. That is the chat area.

Last edited:
Back