John Lloyd Knives

My Lloyd custom needed its own custom slip. And of course it needed its own new hanky is well!:D

The new Gaucho is very appealing. If the current in stock ones were not so much like my trapper I would have not been able to resist it. I look forward to future ones in other materials.

And by the way, thanks again Vince. This Lloyd is one of my favorite knives to use.
IMG_4486.PNG IMG_4489.PNG

My Lloyd custom needed its own custom slip. And of course it needed its own new hanky is well!:D

The new Gaucho is very appealing. If the current in stock ones were not so much like my trapper I would have not been able to resist it. I look forward to future ones in other materials.

And by the way, thanks again Vince. This Lloyd is one of my favorite knives to use.
View attachment 959403 View attachment 959405
Your trapper is quite handsome and it deserves being dressed in an elegant slip.

Custom made to order was what I was thinking. The seashell inspired me to ask.

R

Custom made to order was what I was thinking. The seashell inspired me to ask.

R
When we discussed making the teardrop I asked if it was possible to make the shield. I guess you'd have to ask John. I'm not sure how many knives he makes to order versus making a group to sell.

Your trapper is quite handsome and it deserves being dressed in an elegant slip.

Thank you Alan. The Lloyd's definitely deserve some nice custom leather. Admiring your collection was a definite help in making my decision to go with a JL.
And that beautiful stag would be one of my favorites as well. Hopefully someday!!!

View attachment 959890 View attachment 959889

Yes Lostball Lostball Alan has caused a few of us to spend some bucks, but yours is a beauty and well worth it. Augie Augie your Barlow looks great. My Barlow has virtually perfect fit, finish, and action. I especially like the strong springs on these knives. My Trapper almost feels like a locking knife! Thanks joeradza joeradza for leading the way!

Yes Lostball Lostball Alan has caused a few of us to spend some bucks, but yours is a beauty and well worth it. Augie Augie your Barlow looks great. My Barlow has virtually perfect fit, finish, and action. I especially like the strong springs on these knives. My Trapper almost feels like a locking knife! Thanks joeradza joeradza for leading the way!
Well I'm pretty laid back and like to deflect comments taking credit for something. When it comes to John's knives I'm more than happy to spread the news. He does beautiful and varied work at a price point that is not stratospheric. In fact, many times lower than what some production knives bring on the secondary market. After all, isn't that what this hobby and particularly BF is about, to spread the joy? Enjoy.

Picked up this Barlow back in March, great stag, really well done by John.

View attachment 959883 View attachment 959884

Beautiful stag guys. That's what I have on my radar for my next one.

Leslie, I know exactly what you mean about the stronger springs and the lock up. You describe my trapper exactly.

Augie and Leslie
Absolutely stunning Barlows! Love that example Augie!

Leslie- Thats a Stunner- did you just grab that one? as it has Johns earlier Stamping of Loreto.

View attachment 960311 View attachment 960296

Thanks Duncan, Campbellclanman Campbellclanman ,

This knife does have a story. I purchased it from a knife shop several months ago. The owner bought it from John at Blade a few years ago. It apparently sat in the the knife shop for a long time before I discovered it. I could not understand why it did not sell until I had it in hand. This knife has an incredibly strong spring, like a bear trap. I believe this is common with John’s earlier knives. It is also not pinchable. So I can only guess that buyers found it hard to manage.

The good news for me is that I prefer strong springs; the tougher the better. And I love everything else about this knife as well. It feels very safe in use; no fear that it will close on you. I have read comments by John somewhere in this Forum to the effect that he likes to make knives this way. I gather that he has made them a little easier to handle in recent years to appeal to a larger audience. Of course, he can discuss this better than me.

He did state in an earlier post that he used the Loreto stamp on knives he makes at his place in Mexico. He said that stamp is no longer usable. So, even though I believe he still makes knives in Loreto, they will no longer have the tang stamp unless he decides to have a new one made.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this J John L . It is just my opinion based on bits and pieces of information. In any event, thank you for making these incredible knives. This is one that will never leave my possession.

Makes perfect sense Leslie- I love Johns Knives earlier ones better because we saw Johns Knives almost from the start- when I say that- when they started coming up strong and we in the Traditional Knife World here at least - started to notice them - big time.

John still underestimated because his materials and constant moving in the pattern availability is super impressive and he makes his knives to use and not to shelve and be pretty - but maybe John doesn’t know that his Knives are so so attractive that at times it’s hard to use them ( well speaking for me anyway) - I had some amazing examples earlier that I swore I would keep forever- but a friend who hunts hounded me until most were gone.

View attachment 960311 View attachment 960296

Thanks Duncan, Campbellclanman Campbellclanman ,

This knife does have a story. I purchased it from a knife shop several months ago. The owner bought it from John at Blade a few years ago. It apparently sat in the the knife shop for a long time before I discovered it. I could not understand why it did not sell until I had it in hand. This knife has an incredibly strong spring, like a bear trap. I believe this is common with John’s earlier knives. It is also not pinchable. So I can only guess that buyers found it hard to manage.

The good news for me is that I prefer strong springs; the tougher the better. And I love everything else about this knife as well. It feels very safe in use; no fear that it will close on you. I have read comments by John somewhere in this Forum to the effect that he likes to make knives this way. I gather that he has made them a little easier to handle in recent years to appeal to a larger audience. Of course, he can discuss this better than me.

He did state in an earlier post that he used the Loreto stamp on knives he makes at his place in Mexico. He said that stamp is no longer usable. So, even though I believe he still makes knives in Loreto, they will no longer have the tang stamp unless he decides to have a new one made.

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this J John L . It is just my opinion based on bits and pieces of information. In any event, thank you for making these incredible knives. This is one that will never leave my possession.

All of the above is correct. I went to Mexico this year mid June after Blade to fish, make knives and read.....which are my favorite things to do. The fish were not cooperating and it was so hot that three rubber contact wheels blew up with warning but the forth blew suddenly and the blade I was grinding took a good chunk out of my finger. Gave up and went home... Wah wah wah. Back at the farm making knives again. Tim Robertson and his family spent the weekend. Very good family and a pleasure to have them. His knives are very good and affordable. Thanks for the story.

Makes perfect sense Leslie- I love Johns Knives earlier ones better because we saw Johns Knives almost from the start- when I say that- when they started coming up strong and we in the Traditional Knife World here at least - started to notice them - big time.

John still underestimated because his materials and constant moving in the pattern availability is super impressive and he makes his knives to use and not to shelve and be pretty - but maybe John doesn’t know that his Knives are so so attractive that at times it’s hard to use them ( well speaking for me anyway) - I had some amazing examples earlier that I swore I would keep forever- but a friend who hunts hounded me until most were gone.

I love that they are used and hopefully used up. Nothing makes me happier. Thank you.

Back