John Prine

When I was in SoCal I got to know a lot of interesting people. One of them was Gurf Morlix. Gurf was probably Blaze Foley's biggest fan and friend.
Through him I learned a ton of music from Foley, Prine, Lucinda Williams and others.

Besides Goofy World, one of my favorite John Prine songs

Other Side of Town

I really hope Prine pulls through OK. I was sad to hear about Joe Diffie and Alan Merrill passing. :(

I was talking to my biological dad last night and had been meaning to ask him about John Prine. Before I could get to it, he kind of blurted out that he is pretty wrecked over this whole thing, that he has been listening to Prine since before I was born and recalls seeing him in concert shortly after he had recovered from throat cancer.

He is a huge fan and is pretty gutted about it all.

Read an update from John's wife this morning. She stated that he is on a ventilator due to having pneumonia in both lungs. Stable but definitely not out of the woods yet.

Hey guys,
As some of you may know, I work at a hospital.
I worked at the ICU for the last 5 years and have seen many folks visiting their loved ones on a ventilator. I thought I'd lend some of that experience in regards to John Prine's condition.

This really sucks....

I think the last we heard was that John was "stable" after being put on a ventilator. I think some have interpreted this to mean he's in recovery. Sadly, "stable" just means he's not actively dying. A ventilator is a form of life support, thus a more accurate synopsis would be he is on life support. Without the ventilator he would die as his lungs cannot function adequately.

I saw some families come to our ICU for weeks, in fact months, visiting their loved ones who were on ventilators. In many cases, being on a ventilator was the only thing keeping them from leaving the ICU to a less intense unit. In some cases, a patient might progress to a tracheostomy. This is a tube placed in the throat that allows a patient to speak and eat while still on the ventilator. Some patients require this for life. It takes a lot of strength and stamina to permanently come off a ventilator once being placed on one, especially if you're old. Some folks can do it for an hour, but then need it again, etc.

Given John's age and past medical history, a tracheostomy might be his best-case scenario. Sadly, many doctors are slow to present a straightforward picture to families in our culture. I watched that happen over and over.

Let's hope he returns to wholeness, but he's got a lot stacked against him. I'm not writing this to be negative, I'm pulling for him bigtime, just sharing some inside knowledge for those without a medical background.

Prayers, light, and strength.

Last edited:
Don, you missed your calling as a motivational speaker:D

We're not ready to cut him up and pass him around, or throw his brain in a hurricane. The blind cant have his eyes, or the deaf his ears. Milwaukee don't need his stomach and his socks ain't goin in no box. His arms ain't goin to some statue, oh damnit he got my nose:mad:. His heart don't belong in the junkyard and his Love ain't ready for Rose. Not just yet.

Though I'm sure the big man himself is rolling a 9 mile cigarette, all you can do is hope.

Don, you missed your calling as a motivational speaker:D
Haha, yeah, right?!
I know, we're not ready at. all.

I hope I never see you at work Don :(
That's for sure, my friend :)
I left the ICU in September. I got a new position now, working in the NICU where the premie babies are. It's a lot more positive. Most of them get better and go home :thumbsup:. I'm so glad to be outta that ICU. It was friggin' hard. It was a serious education. I have an advance directive now. I've seen how long they can keep someone "alive."
Like Dylan said, "Look out kid, they keep it all hid."

Back