Just a Picture:

9EhPQoCh.jpg

kRM4tujh.jpg

#thisisonlyatest
2v2ELz3t4xurAoi.jpg

It makes a good knife steel with the right heat treat and quench. Somewhat like a 5160 with better corrosion resistance. As I told a former employer, I'd never buy a tomahawk made of it, or a machete or sword for that matter, the currently available data doesn't support those uses in my opinion. But I have seen it used to make awesome knives. Combat knives we made, and especially as in some bushcraft knives I've seen others make that are user knives. It is pretty tough for batoning and truncating, but still takes and holds a nice edge. Just watch getting the tips too fine, especially in any of them you think Bob might be drawn to ;)

sometimes in life there are perfectly good reasons to drench yourself in gasoline and light your ass on fire. that's when one of these f*#ckers jump on your arm

It's not going to hurt you. It's just a golden orb weaver. It's far more likely to make you hurt yourself than it is to actually hurt you ;)

They are one of my favorite subjects to photograph when I work in the swamps of south Florida.

This was a small one I documented capturing a lady bug in 2012
DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0469.jpg

This is a larger one that was camera shy till I caught it out trying to repair its web in a light rain after a severe storm. Yes those are rain drops in the hairs.
DSC_2035.jpg

The male in this image, the smaller one, could easily span a large coffee cup, the female could have easily spanned a 10 inch skillet
DSC_0590.jpg

I'm always just glad when I approach them from their brighter back side in low light conditions...then being on my arm doesn't cause me near as much concern as walking face to face with one in a web across a path...
DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

LOLOLOLOLOLOL I have a friend who would probably do just that for the right spider(s)...

Nice pics Brian....but id torch my house

Thanks man :) Well you see, that's one of the really awesome things about spiders like the Golden Orb Weavers, while we should all probably occasionally give thanks for us not having any of them the size of say a giraffe or even a horse just for good measure because that would probably be a paradigm changer, they don't typically go weaving their orbs in houses or buildings. They like to be outside where there are lots of flying insects. There is much more of a chance of Brown Recluses and Hobo spiders hiding in crannies and infesting a house...

they have a cool zigzag part of the web.

You're right, I'm sorry Bob. It's not a Golden Orb Weaver, though I've seen their webs side by side down south. I wasn't really paying as much attention as I should have been, and didn't take a good look at the shape of the abdomen The Argiopes, what a lot of people call garden spiders because they love gardens due to all the insects drawn to the gardens, are the ones that have the cool zig zags in their webs. Some people call them writing spiders because of that. I love how big those get in south Florida too. The warm season is longer in south Florida and there are a LOT of big flying insects to feed on the the Argiopes get bigger there too. The dragonfly this one was wadding up was about 4 and a half inches long, and the spider wadded it up in a ball before I could get close enough to get good pics.
DSC_0556.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

Yeah, some call the argiopes that too. But it's because they are confused on which spider is which though. It is an old nickname for the Golden Orb Weavers in south Florida from years ago. Maybe because their abdomens are somewhat banana shaped, and maybe because while they are talking about Golden Orb Weavers in the google search for Banana Spiders, the picture is of a large argiope...

Back