Just finished my first modded Opinel - show us yours!

whit01.jpg

Is it Chuck Norris? Is it Gandalf? Zeus? A garden gnome, perhaps? Sure, why not! :D
Definitely Chuck Norris. That Opinel can kick the butts of all the other knives in the drawer. ;)

Opinels are fun :)

No. 8
This one is a pre 2000 made, so I had to grind the ramp on the ring to lock it closed.

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

I'm going to leave this one white, and keep adding tung oil and buffing with a rag, the ring still needs a buff too. Probably the most comfy in hand that I have done so far.

Last edited:
Definitely Chuck Norris. That Opinel can kick the butts of all the other knives in the drawer. ;)

Dang! You're right! (must be the third fist hidden in the beard! :D )

Did a little more today... digging this whittling thing! :thumbup:

whit02.jpg

Timberweasel - that´s a great work, Sir! I like the face in the wood :) (Once I tried whittling a simple spoon - a blade in my thumb was the result - so better I don´t whittle anymore ;) )

Great skills everyone!

Timberweasel - that´s a great work, Sir! I like the face in the wood :) (Once I tried whittling a simple spoon - a blade in my thumb was the result - so better I don´t whittle anymore ;) )

Thanks for the kind words, Andi! Maybe I'll post up once it's done... :)

-Brett

Just got done whittling, rasping and then sanding the handle. It is now an easy open, pinch-able friction folder :D

Will mess around for another week or so and make sure I am done with the shape before I attempt to finish the handle material. Think this would make an excellent lightweight woods knife.

DSCN6384_zpsa4c23971.jpg

DSCN6385_zpsfa707cad.jpg

DSCN6386_zps99dcce43.jpg

DSCN6387_zps7f1aa4da.jpg

Jeff, I really like the shape of that handle. Is it a no. 8 with locking ring removed?

Thanks and yes Sir its a #8 (Thanks again Pete)! I sanded the wood down to flush with the metal afterwords, removing any excess material I could. The curve of the handle locks it in my hand much like the old butt used to.

Thanks and yes Sir its a #8 (Thanks again Pete)! I sanded the wood down to flush with the metal afterwords, removing any excess material I could. The curve of the handle locks it in my hand much like the old butt used to.

No need to thank, everyone should experience a Opinel, I still feel bad you cut yourself on the Hammer Brand jack:-(
The handle on the Opinel looks great.
Pete

No need to feel bad my friend, user error ;) and thanks about the handle. You are correct, everyone needs to experience atleast one. Think I am going to get a big one and make a sheepsfoot in the future for a truck/yard knife.

Merry Christmas Pete to you and your family.

No need to feel bad my friend, user error ;) and thanks about the handle. You are correct, everyone needs to experience atleast one. Think I am going to get a big one and make a sheepsfoot in the future for a truck/yard knife.

Merry Christmas Pete to you and your family.

Thanks Jeff, #10 make a great camp knife, I've been thinking about making a sheepsfoot or a wharncliffe out of one.
Hope you and your family have a great Christmas, your girls must be jazzed.
Pete

Very nice Opi mods everyone. Very inspirational.
I hope I found out how to take half decent pics with my laptop, so here are some shots of my Opinel 8 modified.
After a few modifications in the course of time this is the final product.
Feels great in hand.

image201212240004_zps6f2a2ce9.jpg

image201212240003_zpsd4a40399.jpg

I removed the locking ring permantly, tightened up the pivot action a great deal and use it as a true friction folder.

Back