Just Received A Drunken - My Initial Impressions

I'd be happy w/just a redesigned clip.

And, after spending a day w/it, I'd be much happier w/it if it had a flipper tab too. The ergos for holding/cutting are fine but not ideal for me for opening either w/the thumb or by wrist/gravity flicking it. A flipper tab would simply make it easier to open, which is why I like flippers generally.

FYI, Nick Shabazz has already posted a "disassembly and initial impression" video of the Drunken here:

He likes the knife overall but is not fond of the clip (or the ergos) but is impressed by the machining required to create the rippled ("drunken") effect on the outside of the CF/Ti scales (as well as the extensive machining done inside the Ti scale) which to him helps explain the cost. He discusses the "problems" w/the clip at about 12:30 mins into the video.

I was thinking about getting one of these when the price dropped despite the s90v and not loving the blade shape;

But after seeing they put a stainless steel liner under the cf scale on a knife this price, 100% not buying this.

At the risk of derailment, to those who are not super fond of S90V, can you give a brief explanation why? I’ve never tried it.

S90v and its s30v and s110v cousins seem to have poor edge stability that makes them not want to hold a razor sharp edge well in my experience.

It will keep a working edge nearly forever but I like my knives kept razor sharp. S90v is a good steel of course, I just don’t prefer it.

S90v and its s30v and s110v cousins seem to have poor edge stability that makes them not want to hold a razor sharp edge well in my experience.

It will keep a working edge nearly forever but I like my knives kept razor sharp. S90v is a good steel of course, I just don’t prefer it.
That’s because they have a metric buttload of vanadium carbides, 110 and 90 actually have the same vanadium content but 110 also has a large amount of niobium (a very strong carbide former, actually harder than vanadium carbides), these steels perform best with rough (400-600 grit) edges, also use diamonds...for your sake!

Also, S110V is so stainless that it’s pretyy close to LC200N in my experience, I took a Native LW S110V in the Pacific Ocean and it didn’t rust just got cloudy from dried salt (the Native Salt wasn’t out yet).

So far I like it. Clip isn't bad on my jeans like alot of folks suggest, but my pickets arnt over bulky on this model. It's the perfect amount sticking out to grab the knife from the pocket too. Not too high or not too low. I can see how it could be a problem in say cargo pants or pants with larger stitched seams that have bulkier seams. But haven't experienced it yet. No issues with ergos or hot spots Yet. Yet. Need more time cutting.

I enjoy s90v after sharpening it on diamond, it stays Razor sharp for a long time, proper apex and Bur removal is important on these steels.

Though this model is so new I haven't put it through its paces yet, just minor things thus far. In due time. So far Its Blade geometry is great.

Action is fine. Nothing to write home about. It's just okay. But if your into action, it's not the idea knife to get. It flicks out great and it rolls out very nice but on close its a wet noodles and has no satisfaction.

The cf show side does indeed have a full steel liner. It doesn't bother me. It's only something you think about before buying the knife. I would prefer it doesn't have it but I feel like it gives it some thing in the end. It might be too light if it wasn't there, and possibly unbalanced. Just theory I haven't taken it out to see. But in any case there are advantages to having it. But as with other knives it's not a requirement to have a steel liner behind cf show side.

I like the lockbar on the slysz bowie better than the Drunken. But otherwise think they are very similar knives. I do like that I can middle finger flick the Drunken open and also use it left handed.

Its perfectly acceptable price for what your getting. But it's not for everyone. It would have been cool to have a low end model to go with it. Without the machining. But that's not gonna happen

Love mine and ONLY negative would be clip. That being said, it it not a problem for me at at all. Could it be better? Yep, but in no way would that keep me from owning. Plus, to keep it looking new for years I have opted to pocket drop it in a CRK leather knife pouch like I use for my Sebenza. Need no clip for that. May even remove it.

It would have been cool to have a low end model to go with it. Without the machining. But that's not gonna happen

Ya never know. Isn't that what they did with the Rubicon 2?

Reactions: Mo2
So is it "better" than the ZT 0770 or not? I'm considering an 0462 but if this is better than it's shorter stouter cousin, drunken away! But unfortunately it's s90v and as intrepid as this steel is suppose to be, it scratches far far too easily.

So is it "better" than the ZT 0770 or not? I'm considering an 0462 but if this is better than it's shorter stouter cousin, drunken away! But unfortunately it's s90v and as intrepid as this steel is suppose to be, it scratches far far too easily.
Imho it's better than any ZT. But I'm not a fan of zt's anymore so take with a grain of salt. But I still own alot of zt's. Zt has a better drop on close action in general though. As for the zt 0770 and 462 they are completely different knives all the way. Hard to compare. But I'd suggest the Drunken is better imo. As for the steel... They all scratch the same imho. Though different surface finishes will show or hide them better. They can always be refinished by a modder if needed. But one steel isnt usually more or less resistant to scratches. Heck I have a lot of zt's that easily scratch in Satin finish.

Fine hairline scratches will develop very easily on most steels, as is the case with my Delica 4 ZDP-189 on cutting cardboard, which is harder than most other steels. If scratches are a concern, better choose a stonewash finish than satin or coated.

After carrying my Drunken for a few days, I've decided that the clip isn't that big a problem after all.

It is still a little difficult to slip the knife in and out of my pocket because of the tightness of the clip but has become easier w/use. This may be more because the edge of the pocket is compressing than the clip becoming looser as a result but I think that the clip will eventually loosen up w/continued use. Time will tell.

Clips don't really loosen up. I think your pocket is going to lose the battle.

Clips don't really loosen up. I think your pocket is going to lose the battle.

I agree and disagree.

I agree that the pocket edge will likely suffer damage over the short term w/continued use of the same pants pocket day after day. So, I don't plan to wear the same pants each time I carry it and will wear pants w/a thicker pocket edge, like blue jeans which are more durable and may also help to loosen up the clip more quickly because of the thickness of the material used to make them.

On the other hand, I disagree that clips don't really loosen up. I've had other clips loosen over continued use and given how tight the Drunken clip is, I think this will happen to it too. I thought about just bending the clip back to loosen it but I don't want to damage the clip by over bending it. So, I think it would be better to just let it happen overtime thru normal use.

Of course, it would have been better for Spyderco (and Sinkevich) to have just designed a better clip for it. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I also hope that a 3rd party mfgr will make a better clip for it but there's no way to know if/when such a clip will be made.

So, like I said, time will tell.

PS: FWIW, IMO the knife is too nice to trash or avoid buying just because of the clip. For those who are bothered too much by it, you can just slip it into your pocket w/o using the clip instead. Just don't put too much other junk in the same pocket that might damage the appearance of the knife. I could easily do that too but I see no reason/need to do so.

Last edited:
Sticking a pen under the clip for a few mins really helped it slide in and out of the pocket better. I'd still like an aftermarket or redesigned clip from Spyderco that doesn't have the sharp edges though.

yoxWDNU.jpg

Just wanted to point out that you'd really have to go at it hard to over bend it...but I certainly understand not wanting to mess with a clip on a knife at this price point.

Looks like we're getting closer to aftermarket options too. :)
LpNvI94.jpg

Back