Just wanted to let the folks at SOG know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that is f***ing ridiculous. That is such a blatant rip off of the Endura. Come on guys you can do better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats that , on the top of the hole , is that some kind of wave thingy ?

Wouldn't that little cutout weaken the blade somewhat? I have an antique G2 Worker model that has a hairline crack in that same area and I treat it with kid gloves because I'm not very confident of the strength of the blade. It's strange that SOG would actually design that same "weakness" into a blade from the factory.

It's hard to see how these designs were justified in the first place, but the cutout in the hole has got to be one of the worst design choices I've ever seen. Seriously, this is going to go down in history as (hopefully) the lowest point SOG ever reached.
Otherwise it won't be long till they sell knives for a dollar a dozen.

Wouldn't that little cutout weaken the blade somewhat? I have an antique G2 Worker model that has a hairline crack in that same area and I treat it with kid gloves because I'm not very confident of the strength of the blade. It's strange that SOG would actually design that same "weakness" into a blade from the factory.

Why would this weaken the blade? Are waved knives weaker than unwaved models? This will not effect the strength of the blade at all. The bending strength at the point of the hole would be the exact same as if the blade was narrower and ended just below the hole. Its about cross sectional area. There is no crack to propagate.

ETA: I only own one SOG, a multitool. I have not and don't plan on owning one of their knives, just wanted to comment that they did not design a weakness into the blade.

Last edited:
Why would this weaken the blade? Are waved knives weaker than unwaved models? This will not effect the strength of the blade at all. The bending strength at the point of the hole would be the exact same as if the blade was narrower and ended just below the hole. Its about cross sectional area. There is no crack to propagate.

ETA: I only own one SOG, a multitool. I have not and don't plan on owning one of their knives, just wanted to comment that they did not design a weakness into the blade.

If you're talking about a knife that has been modded. Yes.

That's what I said in the General Knife Discussion Section :) Reduced cross sectional area = reduced strength on this already slender blade. Note also the grind goes close the the hole so it's weaker than an Endura.

Hello jdraizor, I posted this in the General Knife Section. I am sure waved and unwaved Spyderco knives have no difference. The wave is placed away from the critical section. About the cross sectional area, wouldn't grinding the top of an Endura's hole (make a notch like Sog's) reduce the x-sectional area? I'm sure it will and that was what I meant, perhaps we meant different things :)

---From General Knife Secton---
jdraiser, i'm sure it has an effect based on the cross sectional area loss. If i'm richer i'd like buy two Enduras, grind one of them there and flex both of them and provide measurement data but alas i'm poor so we'll leave this until someday someone decides to do just that :)

FlaMtnBkr, perhaps you're right that I went a tad far but in my defense I was disgusted (maybe disappointed, I was so proud of my Spec Elite 2 and the design). I'm still disgusted every time I look at the folder. Couldn' sog inspire again like with their Spec Elite or Fatcat but to walk on the path of blatant copy :(

Very disappointing move.
A stolen design, cheaply made in China.
What a way to go.

Cutting through the top of the blade isn't very smart either.
Spyderco never made a problem with others using a opening hole unless it was round.

That's what I said in the General Knife Discussion Section :) Reduced cross sectional area = reduced strength on this already slender blade. Note also the grind goes close the the hole so it's weaker than an Endura.

Hello jdraizor, I posted this in the General Knife Section. I am sure waved and unwaved Spyderco knives have no difference. The wave is placed away from the critical section. About the cross sectional area, wouldn't grinding the top of an Endura's hole (make a notch like Sog's) reduce the x-sectional area? I'm sure it will and that was what I meant, perhaps we meant different things :)
I was originally commenting on your quote:

"The blade strength is severely compromised at the hole region. The Endura (it's a Endura copycat allright) is much stronger because the steel is continuous around the hole. the Sog's cutout serves no purpose and shows that they really (it's painfully obvious) don't know what they were doing, it'll snap at the slightest hint of blade flex/bend ."

I see we are both talking about the same thing now, but your original quote made it sound like the blade would not be able to handle any strain and would be brittle from this cut in the hole.

I thought that the Arc lock was bad enough since it was a poor copy of the Axis lock. Now this. The tip of the blade, the handle, the hole opener...Too much of a Spyderco copy. Come on SOG be creative! :mad: If you need some affordable help on some new design ideas, I'm sure some of us on BF could help!

I will have to disagree with you about the arclock. It may have been a copy but it was an improvement. I have several Benchmade knives, including the venerable 710, and none of the axis locks is as smooth as the arclocks on my SOG knives.

I will have to disagree with you about the arclock. It may have been a copy but it was an improvement. I have several Benchmade knives, including the venerable 710, and none of the axis locks is as smooth as the arclocks on my SOG knives.

I've heard that from other sources as well.
It's not like the company is incapable of great things, it just seems as though they fired all their designers (except the ones who worked on the Pendulum, that seems to be the only bright side to this product year).

I've defended SOG on more than a few occaisions as I don't think
their products get the respect they deserve. This is based on my
experiences with my Flash II and Visionary II which I have found
to both be excellent.

Having said that, I am more then disappointed in the new offerings
and the justified response to them. Something very wrong has
happened to this company and I'm afraid they will not be around
much longer if poor quality and stolen designs are the order of
the day.

What a pity....

I had lots of older fixed blades from SOG (made in japan ) they used to be great , but they all discontinued and replaced with new Taiwan crap , and every year they making it worst and worst , this is sad. :thumbdn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back