KA-BAR Chat thread - Come on in the house

It must be a new record that there was more activity here in the KA-BAR Chat thread than in the Snark for a bit.

20 posts until 1000!
We can finish this thing this decade - unless the mods leave it open until 2000...

Don't think I won't!

I guess I'll add to it...what are we discussing? :D

Just about anything. I guess, since it's a chat thread. :D

ZN, you were a very bad person to start that Spanish knives thread. Bad Zulu, Bad.

addictive stuff for sure, zzy. Been weaning myself out of it...but had a recent order come in with Spanish cleavers (5), a hunting knife from a brand I didn't have (Azero) and several inexpensive pocket knives that will be given away, while some got modded. Also snagged an old pursuit on the bay, a Marto Explorer, fiddling with the grind as I write this :D

slow but doable :D

and...how many times have any of us said, "that's it, not buying any more knives, but I wanna check this...", soooooo went ahead and ordered 2 Bark Rivers to see what all the fuss is about :confused:

and just because anything goes and TBL started it... :D

DSC02463.jpg

now go get your bike, man

and...how many times have any of us said, "that's it, not buying any more knives, but I wanna check this...", soooooo went ahead and ordered 2 Bark Rivers to see what all the fuss is about :confused:

and just because anything goes and TBL started it... :D

DSC02463.jpg

now go get your bike, man

OOh, OOh, Rice-burning crotch rocket - Accident waiting to happen!!!!

Yep. The old Muelas and Nietos are addictive. I'm up to nearly 80, ranging from 7 knife and 6 knife miniature Muela Bowie sets on up to a half dozen Spanish bayonets from 1896 to the 1950s., with only 4 duplicates. (Package deal on 1 and misidentification on the other). The newer Muelas just don't catch my eye like the 60s - 80s stuff does.

Last edited:
since you like the vintage stuff, check out older Aitors too, although it's been a while since I saw something snaggable.

Me and my rocket have been in love for the last 8 years with no accidents, some close-cut scares, fast rides and plenty of smiles, knock on wood.

I've watched the aitors, but they seem to start way too high and go higher. :( I guess not as many of them were imported to be available now. Older Kabars and Westerns are what I concentrate on most, as they are more available than the imported stuff, which stands to reason.

I have been on a motorcycle 1x in my life. I was about 12 years old and my cousin took me on a ride. Scared the pooky out of me. Then, when I was 24, I had to go down to the San Diego morgue to ID a dead sailor from my ship. He tried to ride between a row of cars and the curb. Ended up hitting a telephone pole head first after hitting something in the gutter. Had to ID him based on known tattoos as the helmet him jammed his head down between his shoulders. In the last 26+ years as an EMT, I have had to scrape way too many "bike people" up with a stick and a spoon to ever have the urge to get on one.

when the grind and HT are good, they're very nice.

I hear you zzy. Don't consider myself and expert but in 10 years of riding have learned some lessons, like no drinking (or tops one beer) while riding, and never underestimate how bad can people drive in Miami. Now and then I watch crash vids on youtube to keep the need for speed in check.

For what they cost, I hope they are worth the money, vik! Got a Trail Buddy III with turquoise micarta and a Kalahari with pinecone scales, the scales really grabbed my attention till the wallet surrendered.

Last edited:
I wanted to get one with my tax return but the money went elsewhere. I'm a little more motivated to get it now.

Back