KA-BAR Product Development Friday!

What about a kabar tomahawk with the leather stacked handles or kraton, in a hammer pole style similair to two hawks longhunter.

Sword, like the on ontario used to have and highly sought after now.

I saw one at a foreign shop for 100 euros. I called to see if it was in stock. The damn site had an error and it had actually been out of stock for a long time of course. These are now going for $300-500 on various sites.

If Ka-Bar can do a 15 inch -20 inch blade like Ontario's 2 models, US Made, with a nylon sheath, I think it could be a BIG seller. I say nylon sheath because of the money factor you know, we are talking about a 25-35 inch hunk of steel. A paracord wrap with 2-3 holes drilled would be nice too. For most customers, it would fit in a reasonable amount of retail cost. For enthusiasts, it would be easy to customize since the handle holes are already drilled and we could make a higher end aftermarket sheath if we wanted.

22"-24" Machete
Not much to say here other than the same fundamental principals that make the existing KA-BAR tools so great would be an amazing foundation for a long machete. Sorry, but the Grass Machete seems more like a big knife to me, so I think this really counts as a gap in the lineup. My preference would be Becker handles, but if Ethan isn't into designing this then of course the close second would be Toooj handles and the same components that make up the Heavy Tools line. I'm on the fence about whether it be more traditionally thin, or more beefy like most of the stuff KA-BAR has been making. But one thing... throw some new profile elements in there. Every single long machete looks the same to me.

I had an idea for a knife that has a drop point or spear point blade. The handles are removable with say a torx head screw driver. The sheath has in say the leg tiedown area a torxhead sticking out of it slightly so that you have the ability in the field to use the torx in the sheath to remove the grips on the knife and stick the blade into a stick to make a spear. The sheath also has some either 550 cord or 1 inch nylon webbing that is used for either strapping around your leg or carrying baldric style. A double function of the 550 cord or 1 inch nylon webbing is that it can act to lash and secure the blade into the wooden stick spear you made to secure it. So you have the knife and with the sheath you have the ability in the field to remove the handle grips, make a spear, then secure it with the stuff that you use in the sheath for other purposes(550 cord or nylon webbing).

If we are shooting for the stars then something I would personally like to see is a full tang F/U with removable kraton grips and a sheath similar to the BK2.

I would like a BK2-esque sheath for all the tweeners.

And, to finish on a more reasonable note, the Dozier folder needs to come in a black/pink combo so the missus will get off my ass about a decent pocket knife.

4082 Phat Bob Version 2.0
I love the Phat Bob but there are a few things I think could use some changes, to make an already amazing knife just a tiny bit better.

* Knock down/round the pointy parts on either side of the guard area. When the knife is closed, that whole guard area is so full of sharp edges and sharp points that it always shreds the hell out of my hand if I try to put my hand in my pocket when the knife is clipped in place.

* reorient the clip so the knife is tip-up when clipped. The butt is so nice and round that it's the obvious choice to be pointing up out of the pocket when clipped, for the reasons stated above... you would be able to push your hand into your pocket past the knife and not end up drawing back a lacerated stump every time!

* enlarge the cutout for the thumb stud. It's just a bit too small to easily access and push on the stud.

* rough finish on the scales. I've got one of the LE phat bobs, and I feel very strongly that the rough finish on those is superior in feel and grip and useability compared to the smooth finish on the production 4082 scales.

* offer replacement scales for sale that haven't been CnC'd for the clip. I guess it's fine that the user has the option to locate the clip to match whether they are right or left handed, but it just bugs the crap out of me that there's basically a hole left behind on the scale without the clip. It'd be nice to be able to buy a clean scale to replace it.

KaBarSword_zpsa31d59e2.jpg

Heeheehee the drawn design has an 18" blade with a full flat grind and the guard has a side ring (like seen on the guard of the Cold Steel Grosse Messer.) It's a single-handed MK-2 inspired messer-style sword. :D

Condor has lots of 18" blades, but the construction on this is much more sword-like due to the guard, pommel, and stick tang with compression assembly. :)

Becker BK-13 Remora XL
I like the Remora profile a lot. I think the size it is right now certainly fits a useful niche. But the other two Becker neck knives are a more broadly useful size, so I'd like to see the Remora upsized to a similar scale.

And made out of 1095 :D

A kabar mora type knife. Something with a 4-5" sized handle and a slimmer (not quite mora thin) 3" blade.

Dax

Back