Ka Bar vs 119 Buck Special

Right, lets split hairs by all means - it more of a guideline.

"Thread "necromancy" is frowned upon. Please do not resurrect dormant threads simply to say "nice knife" or the like.
If you have something substantive to add to the discussion then by all means do so, otherwise move on and let sleeping dogs lie."

I politely suggested starting a new thread, as its generally frowned upon to resurrect a thread this old - but hey, dont take my word for it.

QUOTE="zzyzzogeton, post: 17913180, member: 338122"] Some people may get their panties in a wad over necro-posting but according to the rules as posted in the rules, it is not against the rules.

Surprised by this comment (though of course you are right, its not in the rules) - you ve been a member for a while and should know by know that its frowned upon.[/QUOTE]

And had you said in your original post what you said here, I would have had no issues with it and would not have said a thing. Nor do I have any issue with what knarfeng stated.

I do have issues when people say "It's the rules." when it is not a rule. That is why I posted what I posted.

And yes, I have been here a while, I do know it is frowned on, and I do not engage in thread necromancy. I just have issues with blanket statements that are not true.

I personally believe that since the practice is "frowned on" by the PTB, then somewhere there should be a statement to that effect so that newbies and relatively newbies (such as the current necromancer) have an opportunity to learn that custom without being slammed for it (not so in this case - that is when it is done by the folks who get panty twisted over it) or allow them to avoid embarrassment by being called on it.

If we had the "non-pertinent statement" necromancy prohibition specifically stated in the rules or in the ephemeral guidelines, then a poster would allegedly know that they should perform BS necromancy.

But then we already have a specifically stated rule about Registered and Basic members not being allowed to ask for values and they do it anyway.

My replies embedded/highlighted in your post below

Surprised by this comment (though of course you are right, its not in the rules) - you ve been a member for a while and should know by know that its frowned upon.

And had you said in your original post what you said here, I would have had no issues with it and would not have said a thing. Nor do I have any issue with what knarfeng stated.

Nor do I have a problem with what knarfeng said. A MOD has spoken and I adhere to the verdict.

Addendum; I must admit that I also believe, that the RevDevil quote makes a lot of sense; why NOT simply start a new thread (as per my polite request in my original post
).

I do have issues when people say "It's the rules." when it is not a rule. That is why I posted what I posted.

OK

And yes, I have been here a while, I do know it is frowned on, and I do not engage in thread necromancy. I just have issues with blanket statements that are not true.

I personally believe that since the practice is "frowned on" by the PTB, then somewhere there should be a statement to that effect so that newbies and relatively newbies (such as the current necromancer) have an opportunity to learn that custom without being slammed for it (not so in this case - that is when it is done by the folks who get panty twisted over it) or allow them to avoid embarrassment by being called on it.

Thx for clarifying; because I dont feel, that I got my 'panties twisted' as deduced by your previous post:D

If we had the "non-pertinent statement" necromancy prohibition specifically stated in the rules or in the ephemeral guidelines, then a poster would allegedly know that they should perform BS necromancy.

But then we already have a specifically stated rule about Registered and Basic members not being allowed to ask for values and they do it anyway.[/QUOTE]

I agree; there could be a clear cut rule.

I seemed to remember and looked for an official statement in regards to a certain number of months having been mentioned (a breaking point for when its no longer considered good etiquette to necro a thread) but didnt locate it - maybe I dont have that one right.

Something which does not pertain to this thread specifically; when a thread is necro'ed, sometimes a lot of water has passed under the bridge and old threads can be outdated or at least some of the info within.

A recent example; a years old thread about titanium swords was necroed.

In the years passed, Mecha and others have made great advances in the field and made that old thread redundant and the info totally outdated.

If the necro of such threads could be avoided, that would be beneficial.

We dont seem too far removed from each other in regards to this subject.

Now I'm really sorry. No big deal. I wasn't offended in any way. Not worth fighting over. Thanks to the guys who "stuck up for me". I "liked" all responses because everybody has the forums quality in mind, and I appreciate it.

Found the thread from a Google search, enjoyed it and wanted to add to it.

AAPK likes when you bring back and add to a thread it keeps all the info together. Especially when some people aren't around anymore to comment again. There are threads there that are years old and still have life in them. Glad to be a member here, I mostly stick to the Buck section. Ed

Last edited:
Buck General vs Kabar would be a better comparison on account of the length. Same knife with an inch more in blsde length.

I think the handles are too slick on the General &/or Special & feel just a touch too small. I like the Kabar's blade width more, too. But the corrosion resistance of the stock Buck would be enough to sway me if it were to be used in a humid enviornment.

IMHO, Buck 119 is way too pretty to mess up :)
Which is not to say that it won't stand up under extraordinary circumstances.
But who am I to disregard the larger presence of kbars in harms way?
In short, given time the Buck 119 Brahma will have its own history to chart...
No matter the severity of field conditions thrown at it..

That is exactly what came to mind when I saw the title of the thread! I would be very interested in a side by side test of both the Brahma 119 and the KA-BAR.

I’m a big time Buck knife fan and I love my 119 along with all my other knives made by Buck, but between the KaBar and 119 I would grab my Ontario SP-1.

E2_E8_B9_D5-8_C98-4_B27-99_F1-831404008_E3_D.jpg

Idk if my kabar is a different model than the one discussed but mine can mount as a bayonet not saying its usefull but my buck cannot do the same

kabar's handle sits at your waist in sheath while 119's is smacking you in the elbow as it sits higher.
In a pinch, i believe you can yank kabar out without undoing the button strap, where with 119 its going to be more of an issue.

I had high hopes for this knife when I ordered it, unfortunately it left me a little underwhelmed. The components and materials were up to the usual high level I expect from Buck, but there were many things I didn’t like about it.

The threaded tang / pommel nut assembly has a tendency to loosen with use. I figured it would be an easy fix and put a bit of loctite on the threads. Imagine my surprise when I picked up the knife one day and the tell tale rattle of the loosened pommel nut was back, this being after I added the loctite and the knife had seen no use since.

What I discovered was that the stacked leather washer handle expands and contracts, I’m presuming it is just from humidity because The knife was kept in a dresser drawer so there was no way it could have gotten wet.

This swelling also causes another issue with the handle. Buck opted to use micarta rings interspaced with the leather washers which, while visually appealing, causes ridges wherever the micarta rings are, as the micarta does not expand or contract like the leather does. These ridges cause hot spots with prolonged use of the knife.

Great looking knife, great materials, but I could do without the micarta. As far as being a fighting knife, I would put this below both the Ka-Bar and the 119 special.

I was enjoying this thread until all the bickering and bullshirt..seriously great way to suck the life out a decent conversation..

I feel like Gaston was here

Right? Ego, egos, egos, egos, egos.

I'm right, you're wrong, screw you. Seems to be the norm more than not around here these days. So much posturing, so much self importance.

Frank cleared up the muddy water for the group and that should have been it. But, noooo.....

This reminds me of another thread that was going splendidly about finding new knives you couldn't resist. It was on track (!) for a while, then some self inflated buffoon decided it was better to discuss clones v. copies v. homage, and all the other B.S. that is quoted weekly here by the bar stool (but Google certified) attorneys. It even came with a free lesson on personal intergrity. Me? I wanted to know about some new and exciting cutting products, but once derailed it stayed off track. And of course, the keyboard educator was mightily pleased with his "class", not giving one crap about the fact it had NOTHING to do with the subject title. ZERO. NADA.

Back on track here, I am not sure which knife I would take. Have used both the actual Kabar inquired about and still use the 119 from time to time. I have had my 119 for about 45 years now, and it has been a stellar performer as a camp knife, woods knife, work knife, hunting knife, (not too good on fish), and has done all kinds of duties not really intended for a knife. If I were going to use it more extensively, my only concern would be the smooth handles. That can be fixed with two strips of skateboard tape.

The Kabar... well, it's a Kabar. I have several retired military friends that used them in the service and when they were in combat deployment. They don't see them as cutting tools, but more as indestructible sharpened prybars. They have regaled me with story after story of nothing short of abuse, and only one reported incident of failure. None regard them as cutters, but the knife oriented guys all had other knives for slicing needs.

I would have to call it a toss. I love my Buck and have relied on it for all large knife chores (my other knives were stockmen and such) when I had no other sheath knife to use. It never let me down and still has a couple of lifetimes in it. But on the other hand, I wouldn't argue with soldiers that have taken a knife into harm's way, either.

Robert

I don't see what the big deal is in regards to reviving this thread. I didn't know it existed, yet find it informative! I'd opt for the Kabar myself...

I like the pommel a lot better on the KaBar. Pretty much a hammer head, and opposed to the aluminum birds head on the Buck which is just an ornament.

I can't find the source, so take it for what it's worth. I remember reading they only expected a knife in combat to last for 3 months. Which is why the leather handles were used. They were tools not heirlooms.

I like the pommel a lot better on the KaBar. Pretty much a hammer head, and opposed to the aluminum birds head on the Buck which is just an ornament.

I can't find the source, so take it for what it's worth. I remember reading they only expected a knife in combat to last for 3 months. Which is why the leather handles were used. They were tools not heirlooms.

Good post. The comment about the hammer / pommel rings true with what I have heard. Certain types of munitions and supplies comes in wooden crates and my guys told me they simply used the Kabar to hammer/pry/smash them open as needed. So what happened to the night when they bent it, chipped it, or otherwise damaged it? Easy, they just got another one. I was assured that no one was expected to sharpen their Kabars. It was a purpose-built tool for exactly that. And besides as I mentioned earlier, all the real knife guys had another slicer with them anyway.

Love my Buck, but certainly not made for that type of abuse. The cave Bars were made to be used as needed, without regard for the idea that it was cutting tool. For the designers, it was an edged utility device.

Robert

Last edited:

There is. Read the Exchange Rules, which apply site-wide.

Section 3.4: THREAD NECROMANCY IS HIGHLY DISCOURAGED.

How about the Kabar vs the Buck 124 frontier. I have the kabar in kraton and leather handles and the buck 119 and 124. Hard to decide which I'd pick. Maybe the 124 as it is full tang and should make a good slasher.

The frontier 124 is a great knife. Super solid construction. The best sheath Buck uses. A little shorter and a little wider than the KaBar. Looks like a great slasher. Only downside I see is it's shiny.

Back