Kabar Becker BK9 chipped what should I do

Hey HK Guns....

Bone is unpredictable as all get out.... Angle of attack, temperature, thickness, and the age and diet of the critter( which will affect density)will all make an interesting and unpredictable mix... Cow leg bones are the absolute worst in my experience. they are absolute hell on a blade. I did a lot of bone chopping tests in the Eighties and generally found no probs with neck and rib bones but the larger animal leg bones seem to be(as one would expect)very tough and a nightmare. Cuts made at zero degrees obliquity are the most likely to damage the edge...cleavers which are designed from chopping through Bone are generally Appleseed ground to a thickish edge and heat treated to a fairly low Rockwell. Dis jointing is always prfeble and if you are trying to get at the marrow use the spine to hammer your way in.

e

I’ve seen Busse’s Infi crumple do to a guy hacking through the pelvic bone. That’s when I learned not to hack deer or any bones. Lol. Busse sharpened it to look new again. Never chipped out like that just made the blade look like it had small serrationsI guess.

Last edited:
Hey HK Guns....

Bone is unpredictable as all get out.... Angle of attack, temperature, thickness, and the age and diet of the critter( which will affect density)will all make an interesting and unpredictable mix... Cow leg bones are the absolute worst in my experience. they are absolute hell on a blade. I did a lot of bone chopping tests in the Eighties and generally found no probs with neck and rib bones but the larger animal leg bones seem to be(as one would expect)very tough and a nightmare. Cuts made at zero degrees obliquity are the most likely to damage the edge...cleavers which are designed from chopping through Bone are generally Appleseed ground to a thickish edge and heat treated to a fairly low Rockwell. Dis jointing is always prfeble and if you are trying to get at the marrow use the spine to hammer your way in.

e

I obviously defer to your knowledge. :)

Hey Cut it Out...

Even the best of steels which are profiled to cut and slice will ding or chip when hitting dense enough bone... Think of bone as a precursor to limestone and it all becomes clearer.LOL...e

Hey Cut it Out...

Even the best of steels which are profiled to cut and slice will ding or chip when hitting dense enough bone... Think of bone as a precursor to limestone and it all becomes clearer.LOL...e

Cut what out? I was serious, I'm sure you have forgotten more about knives than I will ever know.

Back