Kailash Khukuri Review Megathread!

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Kailash has been putting out knives internationally for about 3 years now and in that time we've managed to snag a whole bunch of reviews. However they're spread out in a lot of different places and often they can be pretty hard to find, with some not even showing up in google searches. This thread will compile them all into one place and is also a place where you can post your own reviews if you feel like it!

To start with, a customer of ours recently got a slightly customised ek chirra angkhola with a small brass fingerguard. This is super easy for the guys to do and for reference is only an email and an extra $15 away if you don't need any pattern work done.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...h-kukri-its-here-final-in-hand-photos.268835/

Some awesome stuff in here and a lot of impressed folks, but here's the final word.

808901-0612f604d46545ef9b4a45fc37b8a89f.jpg

"I would wholeheartedly recommend Kailash blades! The weight savings and build quality are worth the extra cash. The difference between swinging a 3lb kukri and a 1.5lb for any length of time becomes readily apparent! Seeing the way the way they strength test them by chopping and stabbing into solid cape buffalo horn before shipping means I have no qualms at all that it will withstand whatever I can throw at it without breaking or chipping!"
More to come

Last edited:
A freshie!
KHHI VS KAILASH BLADES! Two khukuri houses compared. Some insight into micarta handles on khukuris too.
Thanks so much to Advanced Knife Bro for the entertaining and thorough review. Definitely worth a watch.
We've been waiting for a review like this for quite a while and hope to see some more soon. If we can be considered side by side with the biggest players we'll come out on top every time just like we have here.

Advanced Knife Bro is so funny. I had already watched his review of two of your other Khukris!

Love to see a player in the hand forged game who pays attention to distal taper, both in the blade and the tang on a full tang.

Keep up the good work.

Advanced Knife Bro is so funny. I had already watched his review of two of your other Khukris!

Love to see a player in the hand forged game who pays attention to distal taper, both in the blade and the tang on a full tang.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks a bunch mate. A lot of people say why bother with distal taper if the broad belly and bendy tip try to give a weight forward balance? Reason is it helps distribute stress along the blade and make it much tougher for prying. And with the way AKB treats these things I'm glad we're doing everything we can!

To follow up on these previous comments about Advanced knife Bro, here's the other two videos from him on our knives.
He ordered the scourge anniversary of his own accord and when I figured out who he actually was we threw the pensioner in to help give him a broad perspective of our knives. One of our most powerful modern blades and one of our most versatile traditional blades. Both reviews compliment and help to inform the other.

First up- Kailash Blades Scourge anniversary khukuri review

For the kind of work he uses a khukuri for the scourge anniversary is really bang on. Powerful chopping against a stump, delimbing and finer wood processing. The lean grind and broad blade makes it sink very deep but the full tang and high retention keeps it secure in the hand and tough enough to be bombproof. Or at least pretty much bombproof. At this point in time we had the option of buffalo horn on our guards which required us to do a joint partway along the blade so it cna extend downwards. On the majority of blades this has been fine, but with the spotty quality of horn avaialble in Nepal, some pieces are a lot greener than others. The shrinking and pulling away from the tang that happens with green horn on full tang blades can lead to the guard portion cracking off as it did on AKB's. We've stopped having horn available as an option on the scourge family to prevent this kind of thing and now our micarta handles tick all the same boxes as horn (tough, black, cool) while also being stable, tougher and way grippier.

Secondly- Kailash Blades Pensioner Khukuri review

This knife couldn't be more different than the scourge but it cemented itself as AKB's favourite khukuri until this recent dui chirra. He preferred the power and blade shape of the scourge but the simpler, stacked leather handle clinched it. Traditional handles often get a bad rap for being uncomfortable but most of that is down to the handle rings and poor shaping. A well executed khukuri handle is like that of a stanley knife. It can fit just about everyone well and nobody poorly. Couple that with the stacked leather handle for extra shock absorption and grip and you can understand why he felt strongly about it.

I've manged to track down every review post of us on the web and have all the links saved in a onetab. It'll take a while to post all these but every couple of days expect an update. And again, don't be afraid to post your own reviews and experiences. They're super valuable to us as a growing business and help us out a lot.

To take a break from these video reviews check out this amazing Kailash Blades Reviews and Experiences thread on Maryland Shooters.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=225885

I have no idea why this doesn't show up well on google but it's an incredible resource of first hand experiences. About a dozen people chipping in with feedback on the ordering process, how they've liked working with their knives and even recommendations for custom orders. 50 pages with new stuff getting put out there every week or so?
Come on google, show the people what they need!

8968124e9348373a2bfb773e52e4c549.jpg

Last edited:
Last one for today!
I made acquaintance with a reviewer by the name of 12 gauge chimp way back in 2010 through my time on a zombie apocalypse forum. Since then he's had time to post some of the longest term reviews of our designs on the web. One downside of this is that the blades he's reviewing are somewhat out of date, but 10 years of experience with a knife is still worth sharing.

Here's a Sirupate khukuri review, with a long term recap on his expereinces with the scourge khukuri.
http://12gaugechimp.blogspot.com/2019/02/long-term-review-of-kailash-blades.html

And here's his original scourge kukri review (reposted in 2017, originally dating back to 2012)
http://12gaugechimp.blogspot.com/2017/09/kailash-blades-scourge-kukri-overview.html

Time for another couple reviews from the darkest depths of the net :)

First up is a video that Joerg Sprave from the Slingshot Channel did on one of our big Knout knives. He's a huge dude with massive hands so the fact that this handle can fit both his hands and my much smaller hands is a testament to how cool that scourge family of handles is. Two things worth noting- one is that this isn't actually a paid promotion like the part of the bottom says, he was just forced to add that to a lot of his older videos to stop them being demonetised etc. I've known him for quite a while from when we were both on zombie apocalypse forums together a decade ago and we sent him out one to try and he liked it enough to do a video. The second thing is that this is our older pattern of scourge. Since then we've made it slightly narrower with a less pronounced fin to make it a bit lighter and more versatile-helps distinguish it from our bush cleaver too which already is a great dedicated power chopper.

Here's a forum post coming from the persepctive of someone only somewhat acquainted with khukuris and talking about how we compare to the cheaper knives they've used, ergonomics and the ordering process and semi custom experience. The review in particular is for a Kailash Historical Service Issue khukuri with all the standard options. This is one of our best value khukuris and a great knife for a first time khukuri buyer or someone looking to dip a toe in and get something versatile, authetnic and with a bit of cool history to it.

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=255.360

tSILnO3.jpg

Finally a recent short review and impressions post on a very slick custom mutiny with just about the nicest options we offer without delving into anything too modern. Pretty light, but the photo is so good I had to repost it here. That'll be all for today but plenty more to come.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SWORDS/comments/gdwepe/my_kailash_blades_kukri_at_155_inches_of_blade/

9nha2wxcrxw41.jpg

Our m43 Martial khukuri has a bit of a strange story. It was custom made for a martial artist originally who wanted a lighter and leaner m43 blade on a slightly more ergonomic handle with a guard but that was still mostly traditional in aesthetic. We liked it enough to make it a stock model but it hasn't taken on as much with martial artists as you might think, instead finding a lot of love in the hands of bushcrafty sorts who have been after something pretty traditional but just a bit less foreign to western grip sensibilities and a bit safer. Unsure of whether it comes down to who our customers mostly are or the design of the knife itself.

f0025e_49920806065041c0a5488e26927cb03f~mv2_d_2592_1456_s_2.webp

HKR did a text review and a video on their blade with pretty much all positive things to say. We managed to get a supplier for nylock nuts based on their feedback and then also even some decent chicago screws, though we're still unsure if we prefer them vs the nylocks.

https://honestknifereviews.wixsite....08/27/Kailash-Blades-M43-Martial-Custom-Kukri

To round off the groups of three that I keep to seem doing, here's a video of Spark doing a kailash blades Pensioner khukuri unboxing and reaction from when we took part in the anniversary giveaway. Honestly worth it just to get a blade like that in his hands.

Really like the looks of the stacked leather handles...

How is the durability on these?

Reason I'm asking is I consider changing my order with the micarta handles.

Really like the looks of the stacked leather handles...

How is the durability on these?

Reason I'm asking is I consider changing my order with the micarta handles.

There's a little bit of info on it here: https://kailashblades.com/options-info/

We haven't been making these stacked leather handles for very long so don't have much long term feedback yet. However the construction method is very similar to a kabar or estwing handle and many of these are still in use after 50 years or so with the real issue being the leather swelling/shrinking/going floppy. Our buffalo leather is a lot harder and potentially may last even longer as a result. as with the kabar and estwing, new leather can be stacked on in the far future and the buttcap repeened down if needed.
I think the micarta is more durable though both in the long term due to being completely stable and in the short term due to being so tightly packed and formed as one piece so as to reinforce the tang.
Take care,
Andrew

Reactions: 353
Thanks Andrew,

I'm gonna stick with my micarta handle.

Maybe leather on my next order! ;)

Last edited:
A fresh review of our two most recent traditional pieces- the fort william mk1 khukuri and our redesigned chitlange. It's always such a big help to get reviews like this from happy customers

A quick first impressions of our workhorse sirupate!

lJ6PXYWl.jpg

Last edited:

A pretty stellar review of a slick looking Historical Service Issue Khukuri on this ar15 forum. I'm making an account just to let them know I corrected the spelling mistake they picked up on lol

20210512_103946.jpg

Here's a review that a customer emailed through to us regarding our service when dealing with difficult enquiries or when things go wrong:

"Hey Everyone at Kailash Blades, just a short review about my experience with my order for a Pensioner Khukuri and three Bhura knives. I thought I had studied Kailashes offers on the internet well enough, but certain options didn`t mean anything to me. I contacted Bisnu and was informed that a Saliani sheath is made from thicker leather .The celtic knot in DMLs Khukuri was not an option I could choose I was told. It had to be something new. A triangular celtic knot appeared to be the right choice. Its on my wedding band too.

The first version of this didn`t come out too well. Bisnu and I agreed that the engraver who usually does this job should do it. He did a great job, making the knots smaller towards the end of the blade. During the process of making the blades Bisnu regularly supplied me with pictures of the various stages the blades were in. Looking at my Bhuras on the net I was a bit disappointed,
as the horn handles looked a bit mat to me, When I looked at them at home and saw the gorgeous grain in the horn that changed. A brief remark about carrying the Pensioner horizontally-I would need the hips of a buffalo not to get stuck all the time!

Lest I forget this: one of the Bhuras did`t fit into its sheath. After I emailed Bisnu this problem, he came back to me immediately and sent me a link to a u- tube video. That showed me how
to remedy this problem in no time at all.
All in all I can only say that when dealing with Kailash Blades, you won`t be left out in the rain and the quality of their products is superb!
Kind regards,
Karl"

If he gets to sending out some photos we'll be sure to upload them :)

Check out This very well written piece on buying a khukuri from us.
A standout quote:

"Lastly, these kukris are priced so low that anyone who buys custom made knives will wonder where the catch is, or where the corners were cut. All I can assume is that the American dollar goes a lot further in Nepal than in America, because no corners are cut in the manufacture of these knives. They are same or better quality to pristine examples of Gurkha knives from the Great Wars that I have handled. There are no flaws or cheap parts in the blade, the fittings, or the sheaths."

Always great stuff to hear!

Back