Kami Marks

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by sawgrass, Aug 11, 2014.

1. sawgrass

sawgrass

Mar 27, 2014
    I have Uncle Bill, Himalayan Imports Rajkumar's initials and mark, Lok's initials and mark, but I am unfamiliar with the star and the circle with four spokes. I haven't figured out how to get full size pics rather than thumbnails yet.

2. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    That is the brothers, Kumar and Sher, excellent kamis.

They were with HI from before, and have recently come back to HI :D

3. sawgrass

sawgrass

Mar 27, 2014
    Great information. Those mark were on my newest Khukuri. So that must be unusual to have 2 different Kami marks on one Khukuri. Also wondering if the new shop has a mark like Bir Gorkha has the sun with 4 double spokes. I am curious to find out who is making the 2 customs I should get late this month. Thanks for the info.

4. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    when did that happen? i haven't seen a old kumar or sher in some time

miss those bura's as well. good times, those old sharking days.

is sgt khadka still around? he's tricky - no mark usually

5. cul4u01

Dec 5, 2012
    Bura has retired due to health.

Khadka has left HI, I do not know why or when. Other forumite veterans may know more information on that.

Kumar and Sher, returned a few months ago, and their brother Yuvraj have produced some items as well, namely the trisuls.

6. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    I am pretty sure the sun with double spokes represents the shop itself-- and yeah kadka blades always baffle me as they seem devoid of any clear markers ;x

7. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    i didn't know Sgt Khadka had left. that's a shame. i prize his blades highly. bura was the man imho. i love his stuff that i own.

kumar and sher made some classics as well, very good work for the era that i own. hopefully, they produce a lot more.

8. ndoghouse

ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    I think all the factory data and UB are all on the right side of the blade (spine up pointed away). All makers marks on the left. I believe the sun with the double marks are on the Kami "territory" of the blade. If you want to send me that Indonesian dha by Bura I promise ill give you a full unadulterated review of its origin but It might take thirty years to complete my examination:D Im not sure when Sgt Khadka left HI but if it was before Uncle Bills passing then I suppose there would not be any markings identifying his blades. Im just going on naming conventions and taxonomy that Ive read in history but there may be exceptions? Oh I could probably complete my investigation on a Falcata sample as well. Feel free to submit either for evaluation:rolleyes:

9. thefox0602

thefox0602

May 13, 2014
    About how long ago did But a retire?

10. cul4u01

Dec 5, 2012
    Not sure. I found this forum in 2012, and he was already retired. I am sure the veterans here will be able to give you a better estimate of Bura's retirement, maybe even an actual month/year.

11. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    From 2010:

From 2012:

12. ndoghouse

ndoghouse

Aug 26, 2010
    Aunti it is most honorable you continue to support Kamis even after they are no longer working at HI. That is why i keep supporting HI. You always seem to get through the bad times and shine at the end! You have my continued support!
    As philll almost put it: Enough smoke up to rival Cheech and Chongs van door opening for Bura and HI. Hes still the Royal Kami alright and great to see the other Kamis carry on his legacy! My kingdom for a Bura Wajaski btw :thumbup:

13. thefox0602

thefox0602

May 13, 2014
    Thanks for the info Steve Tall.

14. hawk3/21

hawk3/21

Aug 6, 2014
    The second one looks just like mine..

15. sawgrass

sawgrass

Mar 27, 2014
    Maybe some khukuris have more etchings on the right side, but those that I have include U.B. for Uncle Bill Martini and then Devengari for 'Himilayan Imports'. I don't have anything else on the right side of the blade. Maybe, if Auntie reads this, she will have a minute to contribute some insight. Different Kamis may include more in their etchings than others.

16. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    sawgrass that probably means you are lucky enough to have some khadka blades as I understand it took them some time to get him to mark them? steve could chime in on this, but there have been a couple of blades like that --- I have a tiger knife that is simply marked HI with no kami mark as well, still dont know who made it :D

17. sawgrass

sawgrass

Mar 27, 2014
    It might be. My last one is one the brothers did and has both of their marks. It is nicely made. Still hoping that Yangdu might contribute to this. I am sure that there are a few of us that would like to know the details. I emailed her to ask when/if she got the time, she could address this issue. I think it would be a good thing.

18. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    steve and other forumites actually probably know more than yangdu about the kami and kami marks through the ages :D -- but to be sure she will do what she can if she can, I have modified the front page as we learn more about the marks currently-- kami come and go , hopefully the current group stays longer than most.

if nothing else we know the unmarked blades were HI blades even if some are unmarked -- I have an unmarked raj kumar were he marked the sheath -- bought this from another member; I know the kami try to mark each and every one, but they do end up missing some.

19. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    I thought my ears were burning, and sure enough I see that I have to write a rebuttal. ;)

For the record, I don't know more than Yangdu or the old-timers here, I just use the search function (and I might remember a few things from the couple of years I've been a forumite).

Anyway, looking through the stickies, I found this information from 2008:

When Yangdu wrote "Star is a mark designating Himalayan Imports", I think she is referring to the circle with the lines radiating from it (like a simplified state flag for New Mexico), as pictured in the examples below:

20. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    steve you are always extremely helpful in either case , thanks :D