Katana Quality For $500+ ???

Isn't the tiger elite nearly a grand these days? If it's less than that, that would be my pick for sure.

It's $1,700.00 on Amazon....I have an account with CAS, so I pay a lot less than that.

It's my go-to sword these days, it seems you cannot have a bad cut with it.

With the exception of the metal koiguchi, I can't find a thing wrong with it....it looks great, it cuts like a lazer and if it was made in Japan would cost 2x that easily.

Frankly, the mention was made exclusive of the OP's pricing requirements, with the Shinto being recommended as a very good beginner sword. It will satisfy all requirements well, and look good too. It has steel fittings, a nice saya, a very good blade shape and reasonable finish with the caveat that it's nowhere near a nice Nihonto. It is also about 1/5th the price.

I like the CAS Chitana offerings and have since I started training back in 1999.....the only other reasonable offerings were pieces made in Japan that were not quite good enough to get papered, and they cost about $5,000 then and they still do.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Looks like 1250 is the cheapest I can find it after 2 minutes of google.

Yeah, that's what I thought. More than double the requested budget is usually out of the question for most folks. Pity, it's such a good sword.

Yeah, that's what I thought. More than double the requested budget is usually out of the question for most folks. Pity, it's such a good sword.

If someone saves their $$ there is no reason that they could not afford this sword.

I mean really, for $1,300.00 give or take you can own a sword that is very, very good, cuts extremely well and was absolutley unobtanium 10 years ago.

It is a matter of priorities, and obviously, a good sword is not a need for most people out there.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

It depends upon what you are looking at the sword for. If you are looking for things like mokume hada, ashi and a blade crafted from tamahagane as your definition of a "real katana", you will most likely want one from Japan and they will be expensive.

If you want something that is balanced and cuts like a traditionally mounted katana, there are many options that are affordable and attractive with some general caveats. I don't collect swords....I use them, I train with them and cut with them....All the models that I have will fail massively in comparison to a well made Japanese katana from an aesthetic standpoint.

For what I use them for, they work quite well. I highly recommend the Tiger Elite from CAS Iberia, but where price is a factor, the Shinto is also a winner. The Shinto can be had for about $700.00 on Amazon. The Raptor swords cut great, specifically the Shinogi Zukuri, but I miss the hamon. That is a part of the Japanese aesthetic that is unique and highly attractive.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I've seen you mention the Tiger Elite a few times in high regard. What is your opinion of the Bushido? It has the most attractive mounts to me and the measurements are right... but I am unsure of the quality.

I've seen you mention the Tiger Elite a few times in high regard. What is your opinion of the Bushido? It has the most attractive mounts to me and the measurements are right... but I am unsure of the quality.

CAS Hanwei/Iberia has made mistakes just like any company, but overall, I find their build, QC and designs very good.

If you like the Bushido, I'm sure it would work quite well for you. I prefer steel fuchi/kashira and have a fondness for o-kissaki, the Bushido has non-ferrous fuchi/kashira and chu kissaki.

Also, the saya would be a bit loud for training or even tournaments, so I would steer away from that from an aesthetic perspective.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Gentlemen, and also to the O.P.

I hope I am not hijacking, If I am please say so, and I will start another thread.

I am in relatively the same situation. I too am beginning the search for a traditional Japanese sword. However I believe I will look toward a Wakizashi first. And in another odd parralel, I too like the looked at the O.P.'s Cold Steel Dragonfly series. In pictures at least.

But as I comtinue to read on here and sites like Kult of Athena, Swords of the East, and other sword sites. Paul Chen seems to rise up as a serious contender. Ronin as well, and a few others. The problem with the internet is the speed at which misinformation can be retrieved.

It would seem everyone that owns a sword thinks their's is the best. Even the Cold Steel folks.

Ironically, I just sold my Swamp Rat Waki. A sturdy piece for sure, but hardly traditional. In form or function.

While I seek an aesthetically pleasing piece as well. It needs to be a working sword. Like a novice in any discipline, I am sure some of the subtle nuances of an extremely high end sword would be lost on me. What I seek is a durable, functional, well balanced, and if possible, beautiful, blade. I will take my time, and do my research.

Obviously, having owned a Swamp Rat already, I won't need that selection offered up. Nothing against it, just not what I am looking for.

After a long break from the arts I look to return, albiet slowly.

Any additional guidance or feedback would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for the information already put forth.

LV,

My first katana purchase was the Hanwei Practical Plus Elite Katana. I think it would fit your needs well. It looks beautiful, with traditional fittings and differentially tempered blade. So I think it definitely fits your display and admiration criteria. Also it is well balanced for cutting/ tameshigiri. In the lower $300 price range I think it is also good for a beginner in cutting tatami, or whatever else you want while not having to worry about harming an expensive sword as a beginner. Once you get your technique down, you could go for an even more expensive katana.
If you are taking lessons, I'd ask your instructor. I've heard some people want to start with a through hardened sword because there is less chance of bending from poor form. But that is a topic for another post. There is also the hanwei practical plus that is through hardened and less than $300. Also a good beginning choice and looks exactly the same with traditional fittings.
I also want to add that I sold my hanwei plus elite for almost as much as I paid, even after being used. So I think it held its value fairly well. And because it has traditional removable fittings, you can always change the tsuba etc to something else you like.
Here is the link to the site I've purchased from: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH6001&name=Hanwei+Practical+Plus+Elite+Katana

Last edited:
I like the PPK Elite as well. However, the original PPK is also differentially hardened. The only Hanwei line of katana that are through hardened is the Raptor series, but they have been discontinued I believe. If you want through hardened katana, I recommend the Ronin Dojo Pro line. That is, if you can find any in stock. If not, Cheness cutlery makes some very tough through hardened swords.

I have to give a +1 on the Raptor series as a great beginner katana. One thing that I really like specifically about this series is the tsuka diameter. I am around 6'2", have large hands and find a lot of the traditional sized tsukas to be too small; my hands tend to cramp below the base of my thumb rather quickly. The Raptors have large diameter tsukas that feel perfect in my hands. I am sure smaller hands can grip them just fine, so it's not a deal breaker for a smaller practitioner.

For your first katana I would not spend 500$, you can get really good backyard beaters, that you can use for tameshigiri for under 300$.
As some mentioned, you can't really go wrong with Hanwei, furthermore I can recommend Kris Cutlery and the Dojo Pro series from Ronin Katana.
greetings

I also recommend Cheness as "backyard cutters" bit Ronin katanas are ideal. They are really great $300 swords.

Where do you train?

Who has instructed you in what to look for in a katana?

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Back