Kentucky HO!

Originally posted by billpaxton
Walosi, please check your E-mail ...gif on the way :D

Nothing yet - MSNTV is blundering around in their mail servers again. If they've blocked your domain, you should have received a "433 Notice". Al, Yvsa, Jim and I can usually run back and forth like we were in a chat room, and then there will be a spate of 4-5 hour delays. Lately, I know of several inbound that were never received, with no notices sent to the sending party. They are slowly moving up to the same level as the postal service.

but I thought the kid's name was Two Dogs, not Frog Dog...Oh,well...at least I got my MSN rant off for the day :D

Originally posted by Raven's Beak
Rusty- please enlighten me as to the quote and weapons you are reffering to.
'Raven's Beak' is the name of my latest favorite khukuri. It just 'told' me it's name.

It is a Ghorkha issue khukuri that a good friend(who is now a disabled veteran) traded out of a Gorkha while he was doing urban warfare training with them in Hong Kong.
He traded a Zippo lighter and sundries for it. I know the issue khukuris aren't highly thought of by the Gorkhas themselves but this one just has a certain feel.
My friend had carried it in the army but had left it out in the weather for a few years-
-it was covered with scale and at some point he had wrapped the handle with duct tape.
I brought my HI khuks over and he decided to knock the scale off the blade with his belt grinder and unwrap and buff the handle to see what it would look like.
It is a very plain khuk with a pana-bhutta style handle and no bolster.
But the feel in the hand is incredible. The Gorkha who owned this knife must have sanded the handle slabs to adjust the grip; it is too perfect for a factory job.
If only you guys could handle it; well you all know what I mean :D .

oh of course I traded him out of it right away

Patrick;)

Raven's Beak, a/ka Patrick is there any way you can post a pic of this old khukuri?:)
How about the spec's on it? Is it a fully curved style or is it the more modern, shoulder angled style?

"If only you guys could handle it; well you all know what I mean."
Sure do Patrick, sure do. And it, "that feeling", doesn't limit itself to just khukuris either.
I feel it more in edged pieces than I do firearms, but there have been a very few firearms that I did *Not Like* the feel of nor did I like having them around me.

I never did get the full quote, but IIRC, ravens were referred to as the "doves of war" going back to the Viking era because as scavengers they would come and feast on the remnants left on the battlefield. Same kind of horrifying and nauseating results you would expect of vultures, with the beaks of the ravens pulling apart the bodies. I imagine if I came on a field of mutilated bodies, and saw ravens eating people you knew, you'd have nightmares for a long, long time.

How that relates to the Bec De Corbin I can only quote Museum Replicas Unlimited catalog #68, page 11.

Far as that goes, I should talk - my 12" Sirupati was named after the carnivorous alien plant in the Stage/Movie musical "Little Shop of Horrors" because like the one in the play my Audrey keeps begging for me to "FEED ME" with blood.

Overall Length - 68 1/2"
Head - 7 3/4" x 5 1/2"
Weight - 4 1/2 lbs.
Circa - 1400 to 1580

Pollax ( poll referring to the head rather than being on a pole )... Bec De Corbin being one particular type of which was one of favorite weapons of the French, having a 4 pronged hammer head, top spike, back spike, and langets mounted on a hardwood shaft and having a steel pointed buttcap.

Maybe Berkeley or Beoram can post a picture or drawing.

Originally posted by Rusty
I never did get the full quote, but IIRC, ravens were referred to as the "doves of war" going back to the Viking era because as scavengers they would come and feast on the remnants left on the battlefield. Same kind of horrifying and nauseating results you would expect of vultures, with the beaks of the ravens pulling apart the bodies. I imagine if I came on a field of mutilated bodies, and saw ravens eating people you knew, you'd have nightmares for a long, long time.

I've wandered into a thread I'm a bit bewildered by (can't say that's the 1st time it's happened ;) )

I don't know much about Bec de Corbin, but here's a pic:

et11.jpg

I've never heard ravens referred to as 'doves of war' (where did this question come from on the thread, by the way???) - though Woden/Wotan/Odin (depending on your nationality) did have two ravens who were his advisors (as Wagner would be able to tell you too). And ravens certainly would scavenge on battlefields.

Are we sure we not corrupting 'dogs of war'? (I don't know what this thread is about, so I'm really not sure - except that there are some mysterious two-dogs on it :confused:) As in:

Cry Havoc, and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial!

--Shakespeare; Julius Caesar Act III, Scene i

cheers, I think :confused:, B.

Beoram: thanks for posting the picture of the Bec De Corbin ( Beak of the Raven/Raven's Beak ).

As for the quote, I'm sure I remember the part I quoted correctly and that it's gruesomeness indellibly etched it onto my memory. The white and ( in some cases ) holy "dove" of peace being perverted by war into the black raven and carrion bird is utterly appalling to me.

But it looks alot like the ill-fated and much hated Wilkinson Sword model posted in the khukuri FAQ under modern military khukuris. It's only markings are 'India' and an arrow shaped sign. I have seen many junk khukuris with this marking but this one is a good blade.

Rusty- it is definitely a 'Doves of War' type situation. This blade speaks to me, saying "I will cleave all flesh and bone put before my edge, only your will can fail". Kinda creepy. None of my other khuks have such grim personalities:eek: :confused:

BTW, Little Shop of Horrors is a very funny movie, both the old and new versions.

Patrick

Raven's Beak - My experience seems to be that those who get khukuries with personalities like yours and Audrey's are the people that have, or can develop the ability to maintain control over them. Somehow the khuk selects it's rightful owner.

Someone's signature reads " Men sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence. " I've often thought of Jim Cirillo, the NYPD cop and later stake-out squad member in that category.

Jim confronted three armed robbers without warning coming out of a shop they'd just knocked off and took all three out with a three rapidly fired shots from his police 38 with 158 lead roundnose bullets. They didn't get off a single shot between them. What was really scary was one died instantly, one was crippled and is spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair, and one completely recovered.

How was this scary? One guy was a stone killer. He's the one who died instantly. One guy had never killed anyone, but was scum and about to graduate to the big time of being a killer soon. He's the one who ended up in a wheelchair. The third guy had never done anything the like of it until that day, recovered fully and turned his life around after being released. Cirillo's comment was "I'm not THAT good a shot."

Call me credulous, but I've seen too much that is horrible happen to children and only lost three times. When I lost, 3 six month old babies died. OK? Drinking myself to sleep at night so I didn't feel or think worked to keep me going ten times longer than the average social worker could stand Child Protective Services (6 months before a nervous breakdown as opposed to 5 1/2 years ). If being credulous and writing some things off as a matter of karma, God's choice not to intervene, or a just plain inexplicable fate decided by something out there, so be it.

Once again, Raven's Beak, you wouldn't have got it unless you were the right one to hold it.

My hat's off to you for being in child welfare that long. I know I couldn't do it. I'm not a violent person, but I saw situations involving children as a security officer in a hospital ER that made me want to kill people.....

"Once again, Raven's Beak, you wouldn't have got it unless you were the right one to hold it."

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I would not own ANY guns or khukuris if I wasn't sure of my extreme powers of self-restraint.:)

Patrick Mc

I would not own ANY guns or khukuris if I wasn't sure of my extreme powers of self-restraint.

Same here. The only self-restraint I lack is in not buying weapons on impulse! :eek:

2. Hang in there, Rusty. ;)

3. What's this?! An HI bec de corbin? Where do I sign up? Is it covered by the P20%UFN sale?? :eek: :eek:

Back